Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 02:41 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,528,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
What decade are you living in? There will not be another movie theater moving in there!
For the Bronx entirely? For 1.4 million residents, there is big demand for more than one chain movie theater.

There are cities in the US that have 500k with 6 or 8 theater chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 04:25 PM

208 posts, read 129,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Bronx has 1.4 million residents and a vast majority are not huge money making households.

Retail brands and chains avoid the Bronx due to reputation and history. But not accurate in today's Bronx--meaning there is a lot of money to be made there.

The Bronx continues to grow and should have better grocery and retail--and entertainment options.
You are correct and things are changing before our eyes (if we actually look and don't go just off the news)...
Things go in waves. There was a time when The Hub and Fordham were places people shopped in hats and jackets like ladies and gentlemen. The Hub still has a ways to go - but Fordham now has many of the typical stores you would see in a suburban strip mall. Gap - Old Navy - Best Buy - TJ Maxx - Chipotle - Starbucks - now Chick Fil A. Still loads of sneaker stores and cheap department stores too - but the chains are there...
In the 90's you would only find check cashing places - now every bank is on Fordham. So yeah things change.
The Apple Store opened in Bay Plaza because people in the East Bronx are not poor. So yeah it all depends. We won't see an Apple Store on Fordham or The Hub anytime soon - but fact is there is one in The Bronx already. I would be interested to know the sales numbers for Apple in Bay Plaza vs at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. I believe Macy's in Bay Plaza outsells the Macy's in Cross County in Yonkers.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/fordha...0357063345981/

Old 05-03-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
If the landlord wanted too much it means they wouldn't profit and be in the red. Like you mentioned nobody is rushing to to go to movie theater, which means it's not profitable enough to remain open.

Those are ALL affordable housing. Mainly lower income, many requiring a certain percent from shelters. The Bronx is NOT on its way. It is keeping itself down.

Right and the point is the news left out that they were closing in Brooklyn and Queens also... I wouldn't call College Point in Queens a poor area... yet they are closing there too.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/br...others-in-nyc/

As to affordable housing and the Bronx "keeping itself down"... There is conjecture and then there are facts. Indeed if you are talking about the 2 train - most of those major developments are indeed affordable housing. Though not all of it is low income. I mean if it is 60% of AMI that means it is actually bringing in higher income people than the average in Morrisania or Longwood or Crotona. And actually - like in West Farms a lot is even 80% of AMI and some 100%. So that literally means those are for middle income people in tri state region. Not poor housing. And there are many smaller developments on every other block in those neighborhoods where you will see "boutique" buildings going up. They are smaller but they are definitely there. I look at one gleaming white building from the 2 train in Longwood - so for argument sake - just to see what it rents for. Longwood was once - in days I can remember - one of the most dangerous places in the whole country. Well now there are apartments closing for $3300.00 per month - with a patio. Not conjecture - a fact (and again there are a number of these smaller ones scattered block by block popping up now).

https://streeteasy.com/building/1000...treet-bronx/6d

Old 05-03-2024, 07:44 PM

5,756 posts, read 2,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
Right and the point is the news left out that they were closing in Brooklyn and Queens also... I wouldn't call College Point in Queens a poor area... yet they are closing there too.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/br...others-in-nyc/

As to affordable housing and the Bronx "keeping itself down"... There is conjecture and then there are facts. Indeed if you are talking about the 2 train - most of those major developments are indeed affordable housing. Though not all of it is low income. I mean if it is 60% of AMI that means it is actually bringing in higher income people than the average in Morrisania or Longwood or Crotona. And actually - like in West Farms a lot is even 80% of AMI and some 100%. So that literally means those are for middle income people in tri state region. Not poor housing. And there are many smaller developments on every other block in those neighborhoods where you will see "boutique" buildings going up. They are smaller but they are definitely there. I look at one gleaming white building from the 2 train in Longwood - so for argument sake - just to see what it rents for. Longwood was once - in days I can remember - one of the most dangerous places in the whole country. Well now there are apartments closing for $3300.00 per month - with a patio. Not conjecture - a fact (and again there are a number of these smaller ones scattered block by block popping up now).

https://streeteasy.com/building/1000...treet-bronx/6d
Don't be so naive the majority of those paying market rent and prices like that listing are on housing programs or vouchers.
Only the sad clueless people are paying that rent outta pocket. Ain't no locals or people who know the area.
It's how the developers and the city work together. You gotta know the inside scoop of what goes on with these contacts.

Don't get me wrong I live in the south Bronx, I want nothing more than change. But I also live in reality. I also don't like companies and people who deceive so I like to keep things real. I'd hate for someone new to the city to think things are a certain way and move there and then be in shock and sadly mistaken. Someone's gotta keep it real and be the voice.

PS The builing in your link, that area. Yay not the friendliest if you get my drift.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:29 AM

3,361 posts, read 1,747,839 times
It’s sort of ridiculous today that popcorn and drinks together cost more than the price of a pair of tickets. The quality of the food is so bad and overpriced that I could’ve ordered a feast on Uber eats for that bag of popcorn and drinks.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:45 AM

58 posts, read 31,862 times
I haven't been to a theater in years. My home theater sounds and looks far better than the quality of a movie theater. Movie theater sound isn't high quality, it's just loud which makes people think they're experiencing something fun. Movie theaters are simply another thing that becomes obsolete as time goes on, it's just technological progress.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:16 AM

5,756 posts, read 2,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It’s sort of ridiculous today that popcorn and drinks together cost more than the price of a pair of tickets. The quality of the food is so bad and overpriced that I could’ve ordered a feast on Uber eats for that bag of popcorn and drinks.
Because the theaters don't actually make much money, if any at all on the tickets. That money goes back to the film. They make money off concessions.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:12 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,025,785 times
I don't know anything particular about the Bronx or this movie theater...and this has been happening pretty much everywhere

Staten Island lost a big theater on Forest Ave after Covid, and it was probably the biggest one on the North Shore and I don't hear anyone complaining about it.

With the comfort and speed in which new releases make it to streaming I'm not really surprised people aren't going like they used to. No matter how much they try to hype of up a new release they're still pretty mild in quality.

Prices are ridiculous and have been so for a long time now, years even and although I can afford it, I still don't want to spend $12 for a large popcorn...so there's that. Besides, I have a 75 inch screen in my office that has access to just about anything and I have a pause button on my remote. Times have changed

impo theaters will become like drive in theaters...a few will stick around, but only as a novelty

Old 05-05-2024, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Don't be so naive the majority of those paying market rent and prices like that listing are on housing programs or vouchers.
Only the sad clueless people are paying that rent outta pocket. Ain't no locals or people who know the area.
It's how the developers and the city work together. You gotta know the inside scoop of what goes on with these contacts.

Don't get me wrong I live in the south Bronx, I want nothing more than change. But I also live in reality. I also don't like companies and people who deceive so I like to keep things real. I'd hate for someone new to the city to think things are a certain way and move there and then be in shock and sadly mistaken. Someone's gotta keep it real and be the voice.

PS The builing in your link, that area. Yay not the friendliest if you get my drift.
"the majority"??? so you honestly believe all those new buildings charging $3k rent are filled with people on housing vouchers? Guess what - they pay for some in Manhattan too. But to say the "majority" means you aren't living in reality. There isn't enough largesse to sustain that.
As to the area - believe me I know that neighborhood longer than you. Back in 1995 - nobody would ever think anything would ever get built there like that. Are you sure your concern is new people who move in??? They can move to 100 "up and coming neighborhoods" across the country that are more dangerous than Longwood is now per capita.

In all seriousness if the South Bronx is still so horrible and everything is a scam - then why on earth do you live there?? Go live up in Newburgh or Poughkeepsie. Plenty "rough" - but you will pay much less. I never understand people who live somewhere and complain about it.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow View Post
I haven't been to a theater in years. My home theater sounds and looks far better than the quality of a movie theater. Movie theater sound isn't high quality, it's just loud which makes people think they're experiencing something fun. Movie theaters are simply another thing that becomes obsolete as time goes on, it's just technological progress.

I agree... But the funny thing is I go to the movies now more than I used to in the past - simply because theaters are less crowded - LOL. The only crowded movie I've been too in the past few years was the Marley movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City