Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 30,104 times

Advertisements

If their are any cops on the forum with advice I would really appreciate it lol

I'll make this post a little long, I know it looks like just one big list. But I want to give you guys get a fair idea of what's going on and hopefully get some solid advice.

Okay we live in Queens (Jackson Heights). My parents have lived in this house for about 30 years. Get along with all of our neighbors. I recently moved back to NY from Altanta and I'm staying here temporarily. We have some new neighbors that moved in about 4 years ago.
__________________________________________________ _________
Anyway these neighbors share a drive with us. The kids are unbelieveably noisy and always have people over usually atleast 6 kids in total minimum.

On average they will be outside litterally yelling at the top of there lungs as they bounce a basketball from about 3PM to 9 or 11PM 7 days a week.
This morning for example I guess the schools are closed it started at 9AM.

I used to park my pickup in front of our garage which did not block there's or hinder there ability to use the drive, they easily got by it. They would constantly hit my new truck with the basketball setting off the alarm. I have the shock sensors pretty low to prevent false alarms so we are talking a good amount of force.

The kids and parents were spoken to politiely, It got worse. Spoke to them again still politely this time there responce was my truck was too big...
As I am a nice person or try to be, as an act of good faith I started parking my truck on the street and asked them to keep the noise down. Noise has gotten far louder. And they still will hit my dads van if it is out.

Despite teh complaint about my truck they have taken to blocking the driveway with 2 or 3 taxi's sometimes so my dad can't get out.

They hit our garage door and have caused some minor damage, they're door looks like it was run over by my truck..... and no I didn't do it lol

The last 2 weeks we've taken to talking to them impolitely a few times but no cursing or really yelling just making our aggrivation very apperant by our voice. It could just be me but once again seems to have gotten worse.

Me and my brother played out back plenty when we were younger (I'm only 25 now) and we were nothing close to how loud these kids are.
The area I was living in while in GA I was surrounded by kids so I don't hate kids. They would play outside all the time I could barely hear them.

On top of all this adults show up at all hours of the day and night banging and kicking doors, yelling up to 2nd floor and basement windows trying to get into the house.

The best part is neither of the parents really seem to care about their behavior. The kids are unsupervised when they come home from school and even when the parents do come home they NEVER seem to correct the kids.

I mean if you never told your kids they shouldn't be yelling constantly how do they know? lol

So Anyway my parents are retired and I would like them to be able to enjoy it. Unfortunately they don't want to move. And I certanly don't want to listen to it.
But this is intolerable, we have just as much right to live here as they do.

Sorry for the extremely long post but if anyone has any advice and the patients to read this I owe you a beer lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
I really hate to say this, but this behavior is very typical of JH, as I've lived here all my life, and have seen it quite often.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Your more or less right I mean things have really changed around here from when I was a kid it was truly a beautiful neighborhood. Not that it doesn't still have some nice parts.

However this is way beyond what anyone I know around here at least has to deal with.

I could start parking my truck in the drive again but they'll probably just set off the alarm again. Sad that a vehicle can be safer on a dark street than your own drive lol

I was just hoping someone new about some new law or something. I know the mayor was big on noise for a while. Damn I wish that couple on LI won that lawsuit if it was anything like this, at least I'd have some precedence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I really hate to say this, but this behavior is very typical of JH, as I've lived here all my life, and have seen it quite often.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny782 View Post
Your more or less right I mean things have really changed around here from when I was a kid it was truly a beautiful neighborhood. Not that it doesn't still have some nice parts.

However this is way beyond what anyone I know around here at least has to deal with.

I could start parking my truck in the drive again but they'll probably just set off the alarm again. Sad that a vehicle can be safer on a dark street than your own drive lol

I was just hoping someone new about some new law or something. I know the mayor was big on noise for a while. Damn I wish that couple on LI won that lawsuit if it was anything like this, at least I'd have some precedence.
Depending on which part you live in, good luck finding somewhere to park, seriously! I live on 35th ave, and it's impossible to find parking anywhere in the general area.. that's why I'm glad I don't have a car!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM

I know of two blocks I can always find a few but I better not post it or I'm scerewed lol

Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Are other neighbors willing to join with you in pressuring the Noisies to tone it down? If the cops get calls from different neighbors registering the same kind of complaint, they may be compelled to respond.

Have you called 3-1-1? I understand that the most common complaint is about noise. I also recognize that it's hard to get inspectors with their decibel counter after hours, but it's an option worth pursuing -- again, as a band of neighbors, if at all feasible.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Calling 311 sounds like the right advice. That's the place where you complain about noise.

Also, are these people renting? Who is the landlord? Could you address the issue with him?

I know this doesn't help the OP, but I just wanted to note that Jackson Heights is not all like this. In fact it's so quiet in my apartment that I rarely hear anything at all. It's the quietest place I've ever lived. I am in the historic district on a street with all coop buildings.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:37 PM

ahh never had much luck with 311, seems to be just a bunch of operators payed to listen to whining lol I mean they probably only have the staff to respond to a small precentage of what they get.

I'll keep it in mind though. Could probably set up a camera to record on motion and log sound levels but I'm sure they'd say I was a pervert then lol

Anyway just backed my damn truck up they drive and they all ran inside like ****-roaches. Guess no good deed goes unpunished.

I feel better already lol

Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Kids and parents like that are not going to respond to "politeness". You have to either use force (police) or gifts (money)

Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Are other neighbors willing to join with you in pressuring the Noisies to tone it down? If the cops get calls from different neighbors registering the same kind of complaint, they may be compelled to respond.

Have you called 3-1-1? I understand that the most common complaint is about noise. I also recognize that it's hard to get inspectors with their decibel counter after hours, but it's an option worth pursuing -- again, as a band of neighbors, if at all feasible.

Good luck!
That is the best advice..311..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City