Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

537 posts, read 713,970 times

Advertisements

Was walking around Canal st. last Sunday and was startled with police chasing after folks selling fake designer handbags. Probably around a dozen sellers running for their lives through a busy sidewalk and dropping their merchandise all over the ground. Saw two cops running to chase after them and picking up some of their dropped bags .

Really, who cares about that stuff? Canal st. is full of stores selling fake merchandise, not just handbags. My kid bought some fake pokemon cards, a fake Ronaldo T-shirt and a fake Ronaldo poster. This seemed way over the top and unnecessarily put the public at risk. I felt like one of the sellers running away might start shooting a gun or something.

Grandstanding at it's finest?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

5,842 posts, read 2,961,655 times
More importantly. Who are the morons buying that crap?

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 550,092 times
It's not bizarre. Residents are finally getting fed up with all illegal vending all over the city and they're making complaints.

Hopefully the city will shut them down and shut down all the other crap that's being sold on blankets all over the place/

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 764,046 times
Politicians usually say it funds bigger criminal organizations/activity I believe. Who knows.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

537 posts, read 713,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
It's not bizarre. Residents are finally getting fed up with all illegal vending all over the city and they're making complaints.

Hopefully the city will shut them down and shut down all the other crap that's being sold on blankets all over the place/
Compared to all the other stuff, how is this the top thing to be "fed up about"? Canal street is a busy street with lots of stores and foot traffic. Not sure who is being bothered so much by these illegal vendors?

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Compared to all the other stuff, how is this the top thing to be "fed up about"? Canal street is a busy street with lots of stores and foot traffic. Not sure who is being bothered so much by these illegal vendors?
I'm with you. THAT'S the crime you are going after in the city?

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 550,092 times
Quote:
Why does it have to be the “top thing” in order to have it addressed?

Should we only pick one “top thing” say like street crime, and then forget about everything else including quality of life stuff like not having illegal vendors all over the place?

Last I checked the city does sometimes respond when you make a complaint. I did a 311 complaint about trash being dumped outside a construction site and not only did sanitation come clean it, they fined the property owner and they called me to let me know they took care of it.

Is a pile of trash the “top thing” to request to be addressed? No. But some people like me want a cleaner city with better quality of life

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 2,623,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post

Right not bizarre at all, and def not a crackdown. OP is clueless.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 2,623,093 times
Quote:
End of the month.....Cops got a quota

Old Today, 06:55 AM

16,121 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
More importantly. Who are the morons buying that crap?
Opinion:

A bag is a bag only when it acts like a bag.

Let's take this train of thought a step further.

Who are the folks buying the bags? Commoners? No big deal. It's only a knock off. Find them everywhere not just Canal.

Who are the folks buying the bags and what might be in the bags that would compel someone to run for dear life ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City