Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 13,535 times

Advertisements

When or where do you feel dangerous or unsafe, just because you are women and alone??

And do you often have strangers who visit your home? (Except delivery man)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubebe View Post
When or where do you feel dangerous or unsafe, just because you are women and alone??

And do you often have strangers who visit your home? (Except delivery man)
Depending on the state, buy a gun and get trained for it. Carry it on your hip in the house. Get a permit to conceal carry in your state. Practice weekly. Talking to a crook breaking into your home is pointless, just buys them time to kill you. Shoot until empty.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
When I lived alone, I would never let a male technician (cable, phone, meter reader, etc.) into my apt without showing id and I would always leave my door open while he was there.

I would be concerned about my safety when I was out in a neighborhood by myself after dark, without any other people or cars on the streets. That could range from the garment district after the close of business to 125th St in Harlem after 2am or so.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Are you asking specifically about NYC, because if so pshinspections is not giving you very good advice.

You need to be smart and very aware of your surroundings. You need to avoid being alone at night in certain areas and it would a good idea to not be walking around a 4am by yourself in any area. You will not have random strangers coming to your door. If that should happen, never open the door. Much of NYC is very safe and if you are smart you should not have a problem.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 06-05-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Depending on the state, buy a gun and get trained for it. Carry it on your hip in the house. Get a permit to conceal carry in your state. Practice weekly. Talking to a crook breaking into your home is pointless, just buys them time to kill you. Shoot until empty.
read for comprehension! the OP said in the city, this is the NYC forum, in NYC it is next to impossible for the average joe, or in this case jane to get a permit to carry a weapon.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
Lots of women in NYC live alone and don't carry a gun and they get along fine. pshinspections' advice is horrible. If I saw somebody on my block with a gun I'd probably call the cops.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I generally feel its about 30 (and I think I'm being conservative) times more dangerous in NYC for women. They seem to be more likely to be victims of random crimes, like muggings, and etc. Not to mention the threat of rape.

I would not be able to raise a daughter here, the paranoia alone would kill me...

Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
I don't think your feeling is correct. I think most crime victims in NYC (as elsewhere) are men. I found a NY Times article confirming that 82% of murder victims are men (mostly black and Hispanic men). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/28/ny...8homicide.html

I'll try to find a statistic pointing to other violent crime...

Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I don't think your feeling is correct. I think most crime victims in NYC (as elsewhere) are men. I found a NY Times article confirming that 82% of murder victims are men (mostly black and Hispanic men). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/28/ny...8homicide.html

I'll try to find a statistic pointing to other violent crime...
Point taken, but there is still rape...

I would guesstimate at least half (probably more) of those murders in that 82% figure were at least somewhat premeditated.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Point taken, but there is still rape...

I would guesstimate at least half (probably more) of those murders in that 82% figure were at least somewhat premeditated.

I think an interesting statistic to know too would be during what hours most crime against women occurs. I think if you are going to be out late at night, or in the early morning hours, if you take precautions, like take a cab v/s subway, or even ask a guy friend to walk you home, I think you will be okay.

And be careful in all areas. They had a story on the news the other night about several women getting raped in Soho. You don't have to be in Harlem to think about safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City