Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM

127 posts, read 547,821 times

Advertisements

Baruch is all business and cheaper so my gut feeling would be with Baruch. I would go to each school's MBA Fair and see what companies recruit there. It all depends on what you want to do with your MBA degree and what you plan to specialize in, if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,097 times
I agree with I love LI. The opportunity cost of lost salary and sweat equity from quitting your job isn't worth it unless you're going to a top 10 school. Any kind of advanced degree that isn't from a really good school usually has really poor return on investment, especially in NYC where the job market is ultra competitive. In fact for MS degrees in accounting, it's been shown that it has a negative impact on your salary - BS's in accounting actually earn more on average than MS's!

Then again, people should be going to school to actually learn skills that will allow you to get ahead in the workplace. After all, that's the reason you're doing your MBA - not just for a brand to sell on your resume. In this case I don't think it's that relevant where you go as long as you have the learning tools set out for you, you are your best teacher.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 16,823 times
I would definitely say Fordham MBA is a better, more rewarding program than Baruchs. I went to Stern and have to say that Fordham is the third best MBA program in NYC. Fordham has a loyal alumni base and great connections in NYC. I honestly haven't heard anything about Baruch in regards to being a prestigious MBA program. If you are going to get your MBA to advance in your career, then connections and reputation of your program is the most important factor you can look for in an MBA program. Why waste your money getting an MBA from a below-par brand like Baruch?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM

341 posts, read 452,085 times
Fordham is definitely more "prestigious" per se, but Baruch is also a VERY good college as well. I would go for the college that you are most comfortable at because both are going to look "great" on your resume...but it's what fits you.

When I think of the top 3 colleges in NYC these come to mind: Colombia, NYU, Fordham..and so on. But with that being said...it all depends on your major. The fact that you are getting your Masters, period, is AWESOME. Go you!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 68,168 times
Baruch's Zicklin is a good MBA program. I believe it's actually in the top 25 according to US News. It's mostly due to the quality of workers around the area pursuing part-time MBAs.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 16,035 times
How hard is it to get into baruch and fordham? I have a bad gpa from nyu undergrad around a 2.4 but am thinking about killing the gmat to compensate for the poor gpa. I also have several years of work experience under my belt... do i have a chance of getting into these schools?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,600 times
I am surprised at how many posts are saying Baruch is morte prestigious than Fordham! Sounds like Barch alum. w/ biased opinions!! But, I have a Fordham MBA, so I am the pot calling the kettle black.

Seriously, as far as prestige... I think Fordham is far behind NYU and obviously Columbia but it is DEFINITELY ranked higher than Baruch. At least in Finance. No question about it.

One more tip: Try and have an action plan on how you want to use your MBA. I found out the hard way that an MBA alone is not the answer. It is not necessarily going to "bump you up" the promotion list on the merit alone.

@ Fugazo- A face to face interview can help if GPA and GMAT are dicey. You can request Admissions for one.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM

391 posts, read 1,248,517 times
Baruch is highly regarded in Accounting. I know for a fact the Big 4 recruit heavy there.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Baruch is highly regarded in Accounting. I know for a fact the Big 4 recruit heavy there.
True, but really, if you want to go to a Big 4 company, you can go to any school.. and they'll have Big 4 companies that recruit there. From my experience, they don't care what school you went to, as long as you know what you're doing.... yes, I know that sounds ridiculous!!.. but it's true, recruiters come to all kinds of campuses and just look for good people.. less competition might even be better for some.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM

328 posts, read 885,809 times
Go to Baruch. It has an excellent rep and it is cost effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City