Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times

Advertisements

I believe that as a flex-time student, you can take as many classes as you can handle in a semester. As for whether you should do the MS in accountancy or an MBA with a concentration in accounting, both will prepare you for the CPA but the with the MS, lack of work experience would probably be less of an issue for admissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I believe that as a flex-time student, you can take as many classes as you can handle in a semester. As for whether you should do the MS in accountancy or an MBA with a concentration in accounting, both will prepare you for the CPA but the with the MS, lack of work experience would probably be less of an issue for admissions.

Agreed. Majority of those in the MS program are straight from undergrad. Average person doing an MBA is closer to 30 and has at least 5+ years of work experience.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 55,495 times
thanks for all the info everyone. As I'm 21 and have only worked manual labor jobs before, I would actually prefer to do a MS in Accounting, but I didn't do my Bachelor's in Accounting, and on the Baruch web site it says that if you don't have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, than the only option in the Accounting MBA. Is there a program in or outside of NYC that offers a Master's in Accounting, that doesn't also require a Bachelor's in Accounting? I have 128 credits from my Bachelor's Degree, so I would just as soon get to 150 and then take the test. I was thinking about the most efficient way to do that. I need 22 credits, but I figured if I was going to get them, I might as well invest in a degree. Any suggestions to the contrary? I'd definitely consider a different approach if I could think of one. Whatever anyone thinks is the best way to prepare for the CPA short 22 credits, I'd love to here what you think.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I only took one undergraduate accounting class. I did well and I enjoyed it, but I realized my post-college intentions a little too late to change my major from Business Administration to Accounting. I feel like I didn't really learn to do anything in particular in college, and that was partly my fault. At any rate, maybe I should check out something like entry-level sales or w/e before I go to Graduate School. But, I want to do Accounting and perhaps that would be an unwise excursion from my ultimate goal. I'm fine with staying in New York forever if that's what it comes to, so if Baruch provides good connections and is reputable in NYC, that'd be attractive to me. I checked out the flex-time option, and it's 57 credits, so it would be shorter and I could start it in January 2012 (if I get in). I hear a lot about the Big 4, but there are plenty of other options for CPA's....correct?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba2011 View Post
What do you think about the Kelley Direct program at Kelley School of Business in Indiana? I live in NYC and am taking two online classes with KD. I miss the interaction with students and professors, so I think next year I'll apply Baruch as well. Between Kelley and Baruch, which one has better reputation? How do people think about online MBA from a top 30 business school?

I have a full-time job as well. I want to get my MBA so I can look for a more challenging position within my company. Should I pick Kelley Direct or Baruch part-time?

please advise, thanks.

I am in the KD program as well and would never trade it for a degree from Baruch. Go online to Businessweek or another source and look for MBA rankings. Indiana ranks 15th in the country, Baruch is nowhere on that list.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClifer View Post
I only took one undergraduate accounting class. I did well and I enjoyed it, but I realized my post-college intentions a little too late to change my major from Business Administration to Accounting. I feel like I didn't really learn to do anything in particular in college, and that was partly my fault. At any rate, maybe I should check out something like entry-level sales or w/e before I go to Graduate School. But, I want to do Accounting and perhaps that would be an unwise excursion from my ultimate goal. I'm fine with staying in New York forever if that's what it comes to, so if Baruch provides good connections and is reputable in NYC, that'd be attractive to me. I checked out the flex-time option, and it's 57 credits, so it would be shorter and I could start it in January 2012 (if I get in). I hear a lot about the Big 4, but there are plenty of other options for CPA's....correct?
There are tons of options other than the Big 4. As a matter of fact, all my friends that got recruited by the Big 4 only stayed there for 3-4 years to get the experience on their resume. Then they switched to corporate accounting or mid-sized firms.

There are a few schools that offer distance learning MS in Accounting or MS in Taxation degrees. They are expensive but the ones I'm talking about are also highly ranked. Have you looked into those?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClifer View Post
thanks for all the info everyone. As I'm 21 and have only worked manual labor jobs before, I would actually prefer to do a MS in Accounting, but I didn't do my Bachelor's in Accounting, and on the Baruch web site it says that if you don't have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, than the only option in the Accounting MBA. Is there a program in or outside of NYC that offers a Master's in Accounting, that doesn't also require a Bachelor's in Accounting? I have 128 credits from my Bachelor's Degree, so I would just as soon get to 150 and then take the test. I was thinking about the most efficient way to do that. I need 22 credits, but I figured if I was going to get them, I might as well invest in a degree. Any suggestions to the contrary? I'd definitely consider a different approach if I could think of one. Whatever anyone thinks is the best way to prepare for the CPA short 22 credits, I'd love to here what you think.

Keep in mind its not JUST 150 hours. Out of those 150 hours you need a certain amount of accounting hours. Here are the requirements from the NYSCPA:

A bachelor's or higher degree and 150 semester hours in the following content areas, which include but are not limited to at least:
  • 33 semester hours in accounting with courses in financial accounting theory and principles (including advanced financial accounting), managerial accounting, U.S. federal tax accounting, auditing and computer auditing;
  • 36 semester hours in general business electives including business statistics, commercial law, computer science, economics, and finance and
  • The curriculum must also include the study of business/accounting communications, ethics/professional responsibility, and accounting research.
How to Become a Certified Public Accountant (http://www.nysscpa.org/society/future_cpas/howtobecomeanaccountant.htm - broken link)

If you have a business degree then the second two bullet points are most likely met. The area you most likely need to work on is the first bullet point.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I am in the KD program as well and would never trade it for a degree from Baruch. Go online to Businessweek or another source and look for MBA rankings. Indiana ranks 15th in the country, Baruch is nowhere on that list.
Just thought I'd weigh in on the pro-Baruch side. I graduated from the Full-time Honors MBA program and while at times I wonder what would've happened if I had went to NYU or another program, there are three things that make me feel like I made the right decision:

1. I had a great time and learned a LOT. I had a great cohort and some wonderful professors in the FTH program.
2. I can thank one of those professors for lining me up with my first post-MBA job, which was a healthy 20%+ compensation bump from my pre-MBA job.
3. With all the scholarships and fellowships from Baruch, it was for all practical purposes tuition-free.

Even without the scholarships, the $6000/semester full-time tuition (sub $5000 when I attended) is really tough to beat. I took as many as seven classes in a single semester and didn't have to pay an extra dime. A lot of places will charge that much for just ONE class.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

True enough, I've definitely tackled the last two requirements on the list, but I need to beef up on the accounting part. Baruch satisfies those requirements. I think I'd probably rather do graduate school in-person, as I did almost all of my undergraduate degree as online classes. Plus, I here that Grad School is a place you'd want to network and make contacts; probably easier to do so if you don't do it online. But, if it fit the bill in terms of the requirements, (and I could afford it), I'd definitely consider it. Any MS Accounting online or in-person programs in or out of NYC that don't require a BS in Accounting come to mind?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM

As I look at the MS Accounting requirements for Baruch, it says that any previous business degree (Accounting or otherwise) is permissible. With this knowledge, it seems clear that the MS in Accounting is the more appropriate of the two options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City