Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I can understand we are in a West coast vs. east coast talk. I am probably only biased coming from CA. But there is a reason there are 37 million people living in CA, and not cause they "have" to.

Plus i did make it kind of seem i would never raise kids in the NY metro. Outside of CA, NY metro is my favorite place to have a family. I just prefer CA. home is home, if I grew up in NY, i would probably 100% agree with you.

Oh yes, and I totally agree with your "kids clueless on how the rest of the world functions". Kids grow up here loving it so much they do not know or care about the rest of the world. "Vacation" is in Las Vegas, lol.
Population:

San Francisco-774,230
San Francisco metro- 7,533,384

New York City- 8,274,527
New York City metro -18,815,988

So far, far more people choose to live in NYC. Cities are far more relevant than states seeing you can't live in the entire state of California at once so I have no idea how you justify comparing an entire state to NYC. NY is a far better place overall to raise a family. 11 X more people live in NYC than SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM

124 posts, read 383,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonsmagiques View Post
LOL
How is life in Brooklyn for a family having a young child? Parks, playgrounds, activities for mom/child like Gymboree etc?
I am from Paris so I am pretty much used walking short/long distance, using public transportation, etc.
How safe and expensive is Brooklyn?
Thanks
Brooklyn has alot of neighborhoods that are good for families. Most are located in Southern Brooklyn. Places like Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst are pretty inexpensive(relatively to other parts of Brooklyn) and are safe. Borough Park is very family oriented aswell but has a very large orthodox jewish community and you may find yourself excluded sometimes(not because of the feelings of the residents just because of religious practices interfering with everyday life). Prospect Park and Park Slope are beautiful neighborhoods and ofcaurse Prospect Park (the actual park) is one of the most amazing urban parks in the city. Prospect Park is a little more expensive though. Personally I think Bay Ridge is the perfect mix or urban/suburban and its pretty inexpensive by New York Standards.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I can understand we are in a West coast vs. east coast talk. I am probably only biased coming from CA. But there is a reason there are 37 million people living in CA, and not cause they "have" to.

Plus i did make it kind of seem i would never raise kids in the NY metro. Outside of CA, NY metro is my favorite place to have a family. I just prefer CA. home is home, if I grew up in NY, i would probably 100% agree with you.

Oh yes, and I totally agree with your "kids clueless on how the rest of the world functions". Kids grow up here loving it so much they do not know or care about the rest of the world. "Vacation" is in Las Vegas, lol.
Alot of those 37 million people are illegal aliens and many are legal immigrants who would compare California to Disneyland compared to where they came from. Now people who hail from the first world are not going to California, they are leaving "IN DROVES".

Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM

19 posts, read 68,764 times
the 2 cities are nothing alike

Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
Being from the bay area, I visited NY for the first time and found it to be overrated. Manhattan is nothing but a bunch of buildings, the only other borough I visited was Queens and it didn't seem like anything special.
SF, Oakland or Berkeley beat NY anyday.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaknative View Post
Being from the bay area, I visited NY for the first time and found it to be overrated. Manhattan is nothing but a bunch of buildings, the only other borough I visited was Queens and it didn't seem like anything special.
I'm originally from the bay area as well, and all I can say is you're either lying about your experience, or you visited some other city that you thought was NYC. Or maybe you're just making up a story that you visited NYC - and you have never been to NYC. Sorry, but there is no comparison with NYC in terms of urban excitement.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times
Quote:
oh wow this has to be nominated for ignorant statement of the year.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
I honestly prefer SF/LA style of suburbs more. Call me crazy but I do. But city living I would have to give it to New York City.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
You've never been to NY, Mr. One Post troll, so please take your lies back to the other board.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I honestly prefer SF/LA style of suburbs more. Call me crazy but I do. But city living I would have to give it to New York City.
What do mean by SF/LA suburb being better as opposed to the NY/CT/NJ ones? What is the difference to you?

I've lived in SF and I'm curious. Suburbs are all the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City