Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM

106 posts, read 357,264 times

Advertisements

Regarding quality of life and a great place to raise a family, San Fran is my choice. I find living in NYC, one has to have a strong narcissistic nature in order to tough it out. It's not a quality I would want to instill in my children, so when the time comes for me to settle down, I'll have to say goodbye to this beautiful party town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 PM

188 posts, read 918,107 times
This thread is hilarious, I thought San Francisco boosters were bad, haha. It appears both places are rather provincial in their mind set, seeing themselves as the beacon of enlightenment surrounded by the uncultured masses. Basically San Francisco Smugness = New Yorker Arrogance, so you guys aren't that different.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
This thread is hilarious, I thought San Francisco boosters were bad, haha. It appears both places are rather provincial in their mind set, seeing themselves as the beacon of enlightenment surrounded by the uncultured masses. Basically San Francisco Smugness = New Yorker Arrogance, so you guys aren't that different.

Agreed... both cities are two in the same personality-wise.

To the OP - perhaps you should increase your options. There are many other great cities to raise a family. Also based on Mayor Bloomberg's recent comments, it looks like education is going to take a huge hit over the next few years. You might want to throw this into consideration.

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Agreed... both cities are two in the same personality-wise.

To the OP - perhaps you should increase your options. There are many other great cities to raise a family. Also based on Mayor Bloomberg's recent comments, it looks like education is going to take a huge hit over the next few years. You might want to throw this into consideration.

Good Luck!
Its called private school dear, and NY has some of the finest institutions in the world.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
Its called private school dear, and NY has some of the finest institutions in the world.
And who is going to be able to afford these "fine institutions" with all our widespread layoffs, city budget cuts and tax increases?

There will be 14,000 layoffs in education alone, and you still think we should advise a young family to move here? Have a heart!

Mayor Bloomberg's grim doomsday budget cuts 23,000 city jobs

Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
And who is going to be able to afford these "fine institutions" with all our widespread layoffs, city budget cuts and tax increases?

There will be 14,000 layoffs in education alone, and you still think we should advise a young family to move here? Have a heart!

Mayor Bloomberg's grim doomsday budget cuts 23,000 city jobs

Oops, I made a mistake. They expect 15,000 layoffs (not 14,000) in education. Here's the supporting info from the link

"Among those on the chopping block will be roughly 15,000 teachers and other educators, a move United Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten warned "would be devastating" to schools."

Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,653,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaberry View Post
I've lived in the SF Bay my whole life (San Jose to San Francisco to Oakland)
and moved to New York City recently. I'm still learning about New York, but I will say this about San Francisco: As far as families go, SF has a declining population of children. It's hard to even find a toy store anymore, most of them have closed up. Many of the playgrounds around the city (aside from the big one in Golden Gate Park, which is awesome) are full of more homeless people and crackheads then children, even in the middle of the day.
Just had to respond to this: maybe this is true in some parts of SF or the bay area, but I've never seen more strollers anywhere than in San Francisco(despite the hills!). Tons of kids, tons of playgrounds, and a very large thriving parent group: Golden Gate Mothers Group. Seriously, SF is kid-central.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM

110 posts, read 308,389 times
Default Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
a Manhattan native maybe...any outer borough gets trumped by SF
Brooklyn trumps any major city. Period. Hands down. Even Manhattan.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM

36,959 posts, read 38,958,719 times
The actual physical boundaries of SF is much smaller than that of NYC, so it's probably better to lump the rest of the peninsula and the East Bay for comparison's sake.

To the OP (still there?): it'd make more sense to ask for specific neighborhoods for each city that offer what you want (safety and education, though they really both go hand-in-hand), because even adjacent neighborhoods can be incredibly different from each other. Actually, more specifics in general like how much you expect to spend, what kind of living arrangements you'd happily take, and what sort of interests you have would probably keep these people from having a stupid, vague argument about whose schlong is longer.

That being said, the inarguable point is that NYC is denser and more cosmopolitan. SF is no provincial backwater, but its minorities are compromised mostly of East Asian or Mexican/Hispanic descent. NYC will also hands-down have the greater number and diversity of things to do--but SF has more than enough to satisfy most, though you may have to look a bit harder.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,503,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
The thread is hilarious? Not half as hilarious as your posting. What you call smugness and arrogance, we call knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City