Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 PM

10 posts, read 58,901 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am originaly French, living in Florida, but thinking about moving somewhere else, with 4 seasons, more culture and many openings for the languages courses/creativity/communication workshops for both Europeans and Americans that I am currently creating.

We have a 2 year old little girl, and we are thinking about New York or San Francisco, we don't know yet. My husband and my job are "transportable", we can work from home, so moving is not an issue.

New York is highly acclaimed, has this extremely attracting reputation but life costs can be discouraging. San Francisco on the other hand seems to be less expensive, and might have a little "village" touch that we truly like. Safety and schooling system are my priorities. It seems to me that SF is safer, and 'cooler".
But I am open to all recommendations/suggestions/input.

Thank you to everyone and have a great week end

CM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonsmagiques View Post
Hi everybody,

I am originaly French, living in Florida, but thinking about moving somewhere else, with 4 seasons, more culture and many openings for the languages courses/creativity/communication workshops for both Europeans and Americans that I am currently creating.

We have a 2 year old little girl, and we are thinking about New York or San Francisco, we don't know yet. My husband and my job are "transportable", we can work from home, so moving is not an issue.

New York is highly acclaimed, has this extremely attracting reputation but life costs can be discouraging. San Francisco on the other hand seems to be less expensive, and might have a little "village" touch that we truly like. Safety and schooling system are my priorities. It seems to me that SF is safer, and 'cooler".
But I am open to all recommendations/suggestions/input.

Thank you to everyone and have a great week end

CM
I heard SF was the NY of the west. NYC has little "villages" too. And mass transit = lower cost of living. NYC is better if you're more into being hip. SF is better if you like weird people. But both are progressive

Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 PM

14 posts, read 49,995 times
What will be the combined income + your housing budget?

Before NY, I lived in California (LA and San Francisco) and they don't even compare to NY in my opinion. NYC is in a class of its own, but its the most expensive.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
if you're from France, i suggest SF much more easy going and picturesque....NYC is gotham city - a tough life for a new family with a child. unless you like a massive "brick city" (and i don't mean Newark)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM

14 posts, read 49,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
if you're from France, i suggest SF much more easy going and picturesque....NYC is gotham city - a tough life for a new family with a child. unless you like a massive "brick city" (and i don't mean Newark)
What's so tough about raising a child in New York? How many millions of children have been raised in NYC? Much larger number than in San Francisco. They grow up perfectly fine and are more savvy than kids raised in suburbia.

I know many new families in NYC and the toughest part is cost.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 AM

Thank you all for your replies, it's true that the "mass brick fabric" doesn't motivate me very much. But honestly if you want to see weird people, you are very welcome in Florida LOL

We are considering the costs of living, safety, schooling (for later), childcare (halftime), and a nice quiet and safe neighbourhood to live in (I heard good things about Chelsea...)

Old 06-07-2008, 06:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Yet another instance of someone saying the words "New York" and really meaning "Manhattan." There are great neighborhoods in all five boroughs. (I'm a native-born Brooklynite, and therefore not affected by Manhattan's allegedly magical spell!)

Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 AM

LOL
How is life in Brooklyn for a family having a young child? Parks, playgrounds, activities for mom/child like Gymboree etc?
I am from Paris so I am pretty much used walking short/long distance, using public transportation, etc.
How safe and expensive is Brooklyn?
Thanks

Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 PM

178 posts, read 667,400 times
There is a large French population in Westchester County, particularly in Larchmont.
It is a 30 min commute to NYC and an "Easier" lifestyle. Safer, cheaper, you can afford a home and a car.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY10013 View Post
What's so tough about raising a child in New York? How many millions of children have been raised in NYC? Much larger number than in San Francisco. They grow up perfectly fine and are more savvy than kids raised in suburbia.

I know many new families in NYC and the toughest part is cost.
you're probably right. i did not grow up in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City