Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM

26 posts, read 86,872 times

Advertisements

What is Google Street View?

Google Street View is a
feature of Google Maps and Google Earth that provides 360° panoramic street-level views and allows users to view parts of selected cities and their surrounding metropolitan areas at ground level. When it was launched on May 25, 2007, only five cities were included. It has since expanded to more than 40 U.S. cities, and includes the suburbs of many, and in some cases, other nearby cities.
Google Street View displays photos that were previously taken by a camera mounted on an automobile, and can be navigated using either the arrow keys on the keyboard or by using the mouse to click on arrows displayed on the screen. Using these devices, the photos can be viewed in different sizes, from any direction, and from a variety of angles. Lines that are displayed along the street that is shown indicate the direction followed by that street.

How to Use it

Just go to Google.com then click on the "MAPS" link at the top next to images.

Type in an address then search...There should be a little photo to the right. Click on the link called "Street view" and it will show you a still image of that location (It will freak you out).

I saw my pops car and people walking when I did my mothers address. Try it and play aound with it. You can use it to look at an area you plan to move to. I typed in "Riverdale avenue and Livonia avenue brooklyn, ny" and it even gave me the intersection snapshot (if you don't know an exact address).

This is my first post because I just had to let you all know about this feature since I always see people asking about how some places look.

TRY It OUT!!!! Lata
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,846,454 times
This has actually been available for about eight months, if not more! But glad you enjoy it!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:43 PM

ifit's so old to people why does every ask about a neighborhood. How it looks etc.. if it's so widespread and old?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 202,306 times
Streetview is SERIOUSLY oldnews

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,086,734 times
You can not see all streets, nor can you understand what it is like to live in the neighborhood.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
You can not see all streets, nor can you understand what it is like to live in the neighborhood.
Yeah..it only has certain streets.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 29,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This has actually been available for about eight months
They didn't have all of Brooklyn before though. I remember because I exploring and was disapointed that they didn't have Street View for all of Brooklyn yet.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoeshere View Post
They didn't have all of Brooklyn before though. I remember because I exploring and was disapointed that they didn't have Street View for all of Brooklyn yet.
Your right. Now they have more streets. They finally have my address on there. Still missing a few but it's more enjoyable now.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Your right. Now they have more streets. They finally have my address on there. Still missing a few but it's more enjoyable now.
That's what I was really trying to tell everyone. Things progress over time. Just because it came out last year doesn't mean it was usable really. Maybe you can take snapshots and post pics in other threads Mario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City