Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 22,977 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New York in January, and I'll be working at 59th street and 5th ave. I'd like to have a reasonably tolerable commute, so it looks like the 4,5,6 is my best bet, although other suggestions are welcome. I'm looking to spend up to $2800 a month (preferably less) for a one or two bedroom, and I'd like an area that is diverse and not too upper-class (a little gritty is great, as long as its pretty safe for me to walk home from the train at night). The two key things I need are a dog run within walking distance and lots of yummy food (especially cheap eats in the thai, caribbean, vietnamese, chinese, or indian categories). I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,072 times
The R train also goes to 59th and 5th. With this option available to you there are many more neighborhoods you could look at in the city. The east village is closeto the 6 and the R as both are located over in Astor Place. Tompkins Square park has a dog run, so you could look anywhere in the neighborhoods of Avenue A, B, and 1st avenue all the way over to Broadway. Even if you lived on Avenue A, the 6 train would only be a short walk as long as you stay inbetween Houston St and 14th Street. The Union Square area is also great for everything you want as well. The East Village area has TONS of bars, cute restaurants and cheap restaurants (and expensive ones too) great little shops and it has a true neighborhood feeling. Granted it has changed a lot since I lived there 10 years ago, but I still think it's a great place for anyone from age 20 to age 40 and up!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,567 times
If you're looking to not live in Manhattan and live near the 5 or 6 lines, you can look at Morris Park, Pelham Bay Park, or the Pelham Parkway area (east of Williamsbridge Rd) in the Bronx or Prospect Park / Park Slope area in Brooklyn. Downside is lengthier commutes from these areas to Manhattan.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
And what if you lived in the West 50s, once known as Hell's Kitchen but now by the much calmer name of Clinton? Even if you didn't take the crosstown buses on 57th Street, it's still only a few blocks' walk to Fifth Avenue.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM

757 posts, read 3,361,919 times
Warning: In the ongoing rivalry between the snail and the 57th St. bus, the snail once again claimed victory!

Seriously, it is an extremely slow bus, especially on the blocks between 7th & Madison. Before 8:00 pm, you can make better time strolling along and pausing to look in shop windows.

The other issue about living in the 50s is whether you want to be that close to work. Convenience is great, but when I lived 13 blocks from my place of work, I missed a contrast between my home and work environments (even though there is a difference between midtown and the UWS). Then again, since you'll be renting, this may not be a big factor if you have no commitment to live in a place for longer than a year or two.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 22,977 times
Default thoughts on queens?

Thanks for the advice so far! Tompkins square park sounds great for my doggy, and the area looks like a lot of fun. Hell's kitchen looks fun, too, and I wouldn't mind walking to work. Prospect park might also be an option. My co-worker suggested I move to queens instead and save money--any thoughts on neighborhoods there that are dog friendly, close to the r train (or I guess n,w stops at my work, too), and have an abundance of great ethnic food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City