U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM

5,727 posts, read 19,398,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Sorry but thats Bull****!!! Harlem changed a lot!!! Alot of people from the UES moving up to Harlem. Of course there are a few parts which arent that great. But compare to 10 years ago it is much safe than it used to be.

I bet you havent been in Harlem at all.
Haha you're funny. This has to be the worst comeback ever. Compared to 10 years ago everything in NYC is safer. So going by your logic, there would be no ghetto today. Also if you check the recent crime map thread you would see that most of Harlem is still ****ty. West Harlem from 155th down to 135th is still awful, contrary to what people say about "gentrification". Central Harlem is what it is, still bad. East Harlem was among the worst neighborhoods in the city. The only decent area is the area around Columbia.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I, too, don't understand your question.

And I don't know where KRaZY has been, but the Lower East Side is NOT a dangerous area.
Yes it had a high crime rate. Such a small area with so many projects. The neighborhood ***** isn't bad, but the LES projects are hot.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM

307 posts, read 2,466,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Haha you're funny. This has to be the worst comeback ever. Compared to 10 years ago everything in NYC is safer. So going by your logic, there would be no ghetto today. Also if you check the recent crime map thread you would see that most of Harlem is still ****ty. West Harlem from 155th down to 135th is still awful, contrary to what people say about "gentrification". Central Harlem is what it is, still bad. East Harlem was among the worst neighborhoods in the city. The only decent area is the area around Columbia.

Sorry, but it seems like you going a lot but what you read and hear about. Have you ever lived in one of the neighborhoods you named??? I doubt that! Me on the other hand, I live in Spanish Harlem, lived on the westside before. And like I said before. East Harlem differs completely from West Harlem. So does Central Harlem. I know that 10 years ago down to 86th st. things were bad. But the complete area up to 125th st. & Lex. changed. There are still a few parts in Harlem which are ghetto, especially inside the PJs. But as long as you stay away from there, you good. Clinton has his office on 125th st. If it is as bad as you assuming to be, do you really think he would want his office to be in the ghetto??? Think about...

Old 02-03-2008, 11:09 PM

706 posts, read 3,671,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy View Post
I am not from ny but have read a bit on the internet so from what I know these are some of the tougher neighbouhoods in NYC:

Manhatten: Parts of Harlem
Staten Island: West Brighton
Queens: Queensbridge, Jamica
Bronx: Mott Haven, Soundview, South Bronx
Brooklyn: East New York, Brownsville, Bushwick

Im sure people from NYC will tell you some more but in the meantime check this link out, it has hundreds of photos oof NYC housing projects and urban decay and some news clips about crime in NYC

URBAN DECAY
Jamaica is a large area and is not accurately defined as tough or dangerous.

Also, even in other areas there are smaller areas that are different.
One more thing, you're not from NY, don't believe everything you read.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 AM

39 posts, read 452,778 times
I don't believe everything I read. Thats the reason I mentioned that I'm not from New York and that it was from information that I have read, so the person asking the question would be aware of that fact. I just wanted to help by providing a link and a rough idea.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,608,791 times
Quote:
But the complete area up to 125th st. & Lex. changed. There are still a few parts in Harlem which are ghetto, especially inside the PJs. But as long as you stay away from there, you good. Clinton has his office on 125th st. If it is as bad as you assuming to be, do you really think he would want his office to be in the ghetto??? Think about...
I don't know what everyone that says East Harlem has improved is seeing. I took the subway from lower Manhattan to E 116th and Lexington and walked up to E 125th and Lexington and bought a few things from Pathmark over there, which is pretty nice btw. The area is still rough, and I don't see much improvement concerning the over all vibe of the area, it is still very ghetto over there. If you come out of the subway on E125th and Lexington there are business people getting off the subway or the metro north heading west on 125th or coming east to the subway or back to the metro north. But look around you. Look at what is going on, on the streets on the in between blocks. If you live in the area this is what you will have to deal with.

Using Clinton's office as an example is not logical. Clinton's office is on a commercial strip, that is very busy all day. This commercial strip has international businesses, his office is in the same building as the Social Security Administration and some other gov't offices. Also Clinton has Secret Service protection and he can go anywhere and basically he is safe.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 AM

50 posts, read 314,853 times
Default Staten Island, West Brighton?

A ghetto? Scratching my head here. You must not be familiar with West Brighton. It's a broad area. A neighbor just built a seven-bedroom mansion in the so-caled ghetto of West Brighton.

Yes, there are the West Brighton projects at the end of this broad area, but this is New York City. Calling all of West Brighton a ghetto would be like saying the Upper West Side is a slum because Harlem is nearby--also dumb.

Plus there are actually bad areas of Staten Island, but I don't feel like participating in calling them out.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM

307 posts, read 2,466,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I don't know what everyone that says East Harlem has improved is seeing. I took the subway from lower Manhattan to E 116th and Lexington and walked up to E 125th and Lexington and bought a few things from Pathmark over there, which is pretty nice btw. The area is still rough, and I don't see much improvement concerning the over all vibe of the area, it is still very ghetto over there. If you come out of the subway on E125th and Lexington there are business people getting off the subway or the metro north heading west on 125th or coming east to the subway or back to the metro north. But look around you. Look at what is going on, on the streets on the in between blocks. If you live in the area this is what you will have to deal with.

Using Clinton's office as an example is not logical. Clinton's office is on a commercial strip, that is very busy all day. This commercial strip has international businesses, his office is in the same building as the Social Security Administration and some other gov't offices. Also Clinton has Secret Service protection and he can go anywhere and basically he is safe.
Of course it is still 'ghetto' in a way, especially where the PJs are. But as long as you dont hang out there you should be fine. Also it is not that kind of 'ghetto' what people picture. They still have the ghettos from back in the day in their head. And that's not how it is anymore.

Now a days so many different kind of people live in Harlem, asians, caucasians, dominicans...whatever... you name it.

You really dont know what you talkin about.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Sorry, but it seems like you going a lot but what you read and hear about. Have you ever lived in one of the neighborhoods you named??? I doubt that! Me on the other hand, I live in Spanish Harlem, lived on the westside before. And like I said before. East Harlem differs completely from West Harlem. So does Central Harlem. I know that 10 years ago down to 86th st. things were bad. But the complete area up to 125th st. & Lex. changed. There are still a few parts in Harlem which are ghetto, especially inside the PJs. But as long as you stay away from there, you good. Clinton has his office on 125th st. If it is as bad as you assuming to be, do you really think he would want his office to be in the ghetto??? Think about...
No actually I am a frequent visitor in Harlem. My school is located in W. Harlem so I know that like the back of my hand. Trust me, Amsterdam is still a ghetto strip. Dealers in every corner, decayed stores, GRAFFITI..etc etc. But I don't get what you're trying to say. Are you saying that E.Harlem is the better of the Harlems? If that is the case, I strongly disagree. Never mind ALL the housing projects but just look at the crime rate. It had one of the highest rates in the city. I will choose to look at stats before biased opinion because frankly you live there, so of course you're going to defend your neighborhood.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM

27 posts, read 110,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Manhattan: East Harlem, Central Harlem, West Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights, LES projects

Basically the whole Uptown area of Manhattan is the ghetto. The projects in the LES aswell.

Some are really bad though.
I live in Inwood and it is NOT the ghetto. It used to be but it is not anymore. I have lived at 47th and 9th and in Chelsea - so I have lived in 'trendier' areas of the city and I would take Inwood any day.
Have you been to Inwood lately? From Dyckman west of Broadway is a very, very nice neighborhood. The apartments are built right along the park with access to a variety of restaraunts, shops, subway, etc.
East of Broadway is prodominetly Domincan and Puerto Rican but that does not make it a ghetto. Far from it. Violent crime is very low. I have lived on the east side of Broadway off of Dyckman in a Domincan neighborhood for going on four years now and have never once had any issues and I am a single female. There are TONS of families, lots of kids, people tend to be very neighborly and friendly. Obviously the people who live in this neighborhood do not have much money and people hang out of the street, have bbq's. listen to music, etc and perhaps to the outside observer that looks ghetto but quite the contrary. Poor does not always equal ghetto. It is families hanging out together.
There are small time drug dealer - mostly pot being sold by teens trying to make some extra money.
And to say that basically all of uptown Manhattan is ghetto is a gross exageration. 181st by the GWB is a really nice neighborhood with lots of little bars, pubs, restaraunts, parks. The Cloisters, owned by the Met is at 190th, Yeshiva University is also at 190th. I walk by myself all around the neighborhoods and feel perfectly safe. I am not saying there are not sketchy areas, sure there are, there are sketchy areas in most neighborhoods in NYC but they are not the ghetto. Perhaps to some rich person living on the UES driving a Benz to work everyday but not to average US citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City