U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,530,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
But there are some neighborhoods in other cities where even if you are street smart you can get hurt or killed. There are part of New York that seem like they havent changed at all (ie. East new York, Jamaica Queens) but besides that New York is pretty much quiet. I've walked through 145th n Lenox at 3 in the morning with no problems whereas if I did such a thing in a bad neighborhood I'd get chopped, rocked or robbed.

I know TheRisingSon, I also lived in Philadelphia and I have been in Harlem and Mott Haven so many times. I don't think they are that horrible. Sure stuff does happen. But Yeah I totally agree about East New York, and Brownsville and parts of Jamaica. They do remind me of some of the bad ghettos in Philadelphia, but still. I guess the people in New York will never know how good they got it here.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,530,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
But be aware of the fact the PR has one of the worst ghettos.

Let's hope he lives in a decent area.
Nah, my mother visit him and he lives in a decent area in the island.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM

5,727 posts, read 19,419,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
OK since you already looking at the crime rates, look at the crime rates in YOUR neighborhood compare to MY neighborhood. I bet the BX was more in the news than Harlem. The last time Harlem was in the news, it was because the fact that it's changing!!!
My neighborhood, University Heights in the Bronx had a crime rate last year of 1000-1200 crimes per 100,000 people. It was above average and therefore is considered a high crime neighborhood.

Your beautiful neighborhood East Harlem had a crime rate of of 1600+ per 100,000 people. It was one of of four neighborhoods in the whole city to be up that high. It's an insanely high crime rate.

Quote:
Besides whatever happens in the PJs stays in the PJs. It doesnt involve the whole neighborhood! Of course there is crime where PJs are. But damn it's not like you get shot 10 times a day. I was visiting PJs in different neighborhoods. And Im still alive. Like I said if you dont feel comfortable around the PJs, stay away from them. And you good.
Wow, very easy to just brish them aside like that. Fact is that those projects are in the neighborhood. So you must include it when disscussing neighborhoods. East Harlem has the highest concentration of projects in NYC. How can you avoid them?

Quote:
Oh and if you find something to prove how high the crime rate is dont forget to post the source.
Sure.

http://media.nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Sorry, lets not put Jamaica in the same class as East NY or Mott Haven. If you guys feel scared there then I pity you. Jamaica because it's in Queens stands out as the worst neighborhood. Had it been in the Bronx, it would be one of the better ones.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM

59 posts, read 247,376 times
I'm not comparing Jamaica Queens to East New York, but to NYC as a whole. And East Harlem doesnt have the highest concentration of projects in NYC, Queensbridge does. And who said anyone was scared of walking in any neighborhood?? I come from North Philly where there are murders everyday over nothing I'm never scared of being anywhere but I am more cautious in certain places compared to other places.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:05 PM

30,340 posts, read 43,625,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Sorry, lets not put Jamaica in the same class as East NY or Mott Haven. If you guys feel scared there then I pity you. Jamaica because it's in Queens stands out as the worst neighborhood. Had it been in the Bronx, it would be one of the better ones.
thats true.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Queensbridge is the largest housing projects in the country. But, Queensbridge isn't a neighborhood. Long Island city is the neighborhood, and besides Queensbridge there isn't much else.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM

30,340 posts, read 43,625,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
But there are some neighborhoods in other cities where even if you are street smart you can get hurt or killed. There are part of New York that seem like they havent changed at all (ie. East new York, Jamaica Queens) but besides that New York is pretty much quiet. I've walked through 145th n Lenox at 3 in the morning with no problems whereas if I did such a thing in a bad neighborhood I'd get chopped, rocked or robbed.
where in jamaica exactly are you referring to? because jamaica has good and bad areas....i'm just curious to what you think.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Southside Jamaica

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Glassboro is pretty tough. Gangs just like East New York and Brownsville there are a lot of gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City