Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Your beautiful neighborhood East Harlem had a crime rate of of 1600+ per 100,000 people. It was one of of four neighborhoods in the whole city to be up that high. It's an insanely high crime rate.
Wow, very easy to just brish them aside like that. Fact is that those projects are in the neighborhood. So you must include it when disscussing neighborhoods. East Harlem has the highest concentration of projects in NYC. How can you avoid them?
http://media.nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

Most of the crime that happens, happens in the PJs in any neighborhood. It is a common thing. That doesnt mean that the whole neighborhood is bad. Harlem (inculding, E & W as well central) is a huge neighborhood. Of course there are a lot of public housing. But you can find them everywhere in NYC.

How can you avoid them??? Just stay away from it and you wont get hurt. That simple...

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,601 times
Quote:
Sorry, lets not put Jamaica in the same class as East NY or Mott Haven. If you guys feel scared there then I pity you. Jamaica because it's in Queens stands out as the worst neighborhood. Had it been in the Bronx, it would be one of the better ones.
lol you're dead wrong. i will move to mott haven before moving to jamaica. .

Also, tehre is much more to long island city than queens bridge. have you ever been on 21st street? queens bridge is deeper than it is wide if it makes sense go all the way down 21st street down by the park past ravenswood etc that's all long island city. queens bridge is only 6 blocks. so your assertion that queens bridge = L.I.C = false.

soutside jamaica = one of the worst in nyc. it makes mott haven look like the burbs

Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM

139 posts, read 924,012 times
you would rather move to mott haven section of the bronx before you do south side queens?...wow thats crazy but do ya thing

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

139 posts, read 924,012 times
supermario i didnt think of it from that angle,but thats a good point you made about south side standing out because its in queens....i gotta agree if that was in the bronx it most likely would of been in the range of 1 of the more better neighborhoods...in queens probably the most wilder neighborhoods is -long island city,corona,parts of jamaica, & south jamaica,parts of far rockaway..thats not alotta neighborhoods for a whole borough..where as uptown you have -mott haven,soundview,castle hill,edenwald,wakefield,parkchester,university heights,morriasiana,claremont villiage,the hub for the bronx

Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Yeah, also keep in mind that southside Jamaica is just a portion of the neighborhood Jamaica. The majority of the Bronx neighborhoods you named are bad just about all over.

Personally, I think Queens is nice. It is also my opinion that besides projects in Far Rock/Queensbridge, no hood in Queens can stand up to hood's in the Bronx and Brooklyn. I got people from Queens tell me that Jackson Heights is a bad area, when in reality it is not. Relative to Queens perhaps, but not in relation to uptown/BK.

A reason for this I think is that Queens has ALOT less tenement buildings than either BK/BX. Queens has alot of nice residential housing, and the projects are not spread out but rather in a centralized location.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

[quote=bx718;2728003]lol you're dead wrong. i will move to mott haven before moving to jamaica. .

You would probably be the only person breathing who would.

Also, tehre is much more to long island city than queens bridge. have you ever been on 21st street? queens bridge is deeper than it is wide if it makes sense go all the way down 21st street down by the park past ravenswood etc that's all long island city. queens bridge is only 6 blocks. so your assertion that queens bridge = L.I.C = false.

Queensbridge Houses is the largest public housing development in the United States. It is located in Long Island City in Queens, and opened in 1939.

Queensbridge, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I went to HS in LIC. When taking the N/W and it leaves the tunnel on it's way to Queensborough plaza, the first thing you see are the Queensbridge houses.

Quote:
soutside jamaica = one of the worst in nyc. it makes mott haven look like the burbs
Really....I always looked at it that Mott Haven makes Southside Jamaica look like a tropical paradise. You're basing all this on one trip to Mott Haven? Why do you refuse to acknowledge the ****hole that is Mott Haven. There's enough proof with it's history, crime stats, demographics, and visually it's slummy. But serious question.....do you really think Mott Haven is a nice neighborhood?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Most of the crime that happens, happens in the PJs in any neighborhood. It is a common thing. That doesnt mean that the whole neighborhood is bad. Harlem (inculding, E & W as well central) is a huge neighborhood. Of course there are a lot of public housing. But you can find them everywhere in NYC.

How can you avoid them??? Just stay away from it and you wont get hurt. That simple...
The problem with this train of tought is that the projects aren't the only problem. You seem to assume that all crime comes from projects. This is wrong. Neighborhoods with no PJ's like Fordham/Tremont are high crime. The projects just makes things worse. Trust me, you may not notice but projects affect a neighborhood. What do you think the dealers are going to stay home all day lol. It's there neighborhood too. They walk the streets like you. With them they bring the bad elements, to the streets of your "precious jewel" of a neighborhood E. Harlem.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
One of the more interesting things I've learned about the "hoods" & ghettoes of New York since moving here, is that they're not delineated into actual neighborhoods, like they are in other cities across the country.

In New York, "bad" areas are more likely to be only three or four square blocks, if that, but you'll certainly know once you've entered one of them.

But by and large, there are areas which may LOOK to an "outsider" as a bad area, but actually be entirely liveable, so long as one takes the normal precautions they'd take anywhere else in the world....

The worst areas I've seen so far have been in East New York, Bushwick, Jamaica (Queens) and Spanish Harlem (also known as "El Barrio" to the locals). Harlem itself has and is still undergoing somewhat of a renaissance, and the MLB network just signed a deal to bring their network headquarters, in a 45 story brand-new tower, to 125th Street.

The South Bronx is MUCH better than it was in the '80's, and the Bronx is, officially, no longer "burning".... take a trip to the Fish market, if you don't believe me... there's parts of Midtown that are sketchier than many areas of the South Bronx, anymore...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
One of the more interesting things I've learned about the "hoods" & ghettoes of New York since moving here, is that they're not delineated into actual neighborhoods, like they are in other cities across the country.

In New York, "bad" areas are more likely to be only three or four square blocks, if that, but you'll certainly know once you've entered one of them.
Haha. Oh really? It's actually the complete opposite. There are more neighborhoods that are bad all over than there are neighborhoods with bad parts. Curious, why do you feel that way?

Blocks? Try talking 1/2 of boroughs. In the Bronx west of Bronx river, south of Bedford pk all the hood. Then you have the areas up north, Edenwald and the sourrounding projects....Wakefied etc...........way more than just 3/4 square blocks.

Quote:
But by and large, there are areas which may LOOK to an "outsider" as a bad area, but actually be entirely liveable, so long as one takes the normal precautions they'd take anywhere else in the world....
You can live in any ghetto. You just have to face hardships.

Quote:
The worst areas I've seen so far have been in East New York, Bushwick, Jamaica (Queens) and Spanish Harlem (also known as "El Barrio" to the locals). Harlem itself has and is still undergoing somewhat of a renaissance, and the MLB network just signed a deal to bring their network headquarters, in a 45 story brand-new tower, to 125th Street.
East NY and Spanish Harlem are bad all over. Im surprised you didn't notice when you visited.

Bushwick and Jamaica have good/bad spots.

Quote:
The South Bronx is MUCH better than it was in the '80's, and the Bronx is, officially, no longer "burning".... take a trip to the Fish market, if you don't believe me... there's parts of Midtown that are sketchier than many areas of the South Bronx, anymore...
Yeah the Bronx is better than the 80's. No argument there. Really the difference is less competition between dealers, less burned out buildings/vacant lots, more police today, and crack is not a factor. Midtown does have bad sections. But while the Bronx has seen improvement it still suffers similar problems like poverty and crime.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:47 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
Quote:
Haha. Oh really? It's actually the complete opposite. There are more neighborhoods that are bad all over than there are neighborhoods with bad parts. Curious, why do you feel that way?
I've walked miles and miles thru New York, in all the Boroughs except Staten Island... I feel safe enough at all times when most normal people would be out & about...

Quote:
East NY and Spanish Harlem are bad all over. Im surprised you didn't notice when you visited.
I did notice.... I mentioned it, right???

Last edited by By~Tor; 02-05-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City