U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM

307 posts, read 2,467,061 times

Advertisements

The south BX is one of the dirtiest places I lived at. Especially 138th st. 3rd ave. As soon as you come out the 6 train you can smell the odor of garbage and as soon as you on the streets you see it all over. I dont see that where I live now. But Im pretty sure that the south BX have changed a lot. Still it's nasty and ghetto, worst than E Harlem.

@SuperMario: If you dont have any PJs around, of course alot of crime is going on all over the neighborhood. Usually most of the crime activities goin on stays inside the PJs. The only thing happens is that some people hustle outside the PJs..so what...it doesnt hurt anybody.... and no it doesnt effect the neighborhood. There is no war goin on, no drive bys...nothin like that!

And I do know Fordham, especially Webster ave. Fordham RD/ Decatur ave. around 194th st up to Kingsbridge where the D train stops. Been there numerous times.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 PM

473 posts, read 1,624,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-d0g_Bronx View Post
...in queens probably the most wilder neighborhoods is -long island city,corona,parts of jamaica, & south jamaica,parts of far rockaway..thats not alotta neighborhoods for a whole borough..where as uptown you have -mott haven,soundview,castle hill,edenwald,wakefield,parkchester,university heights,morriasiana,claremont villiage,the hub for the bronx
lol @ naming almost all the NHs in the bx. you could have saved yourself and just said THE BRONX. but that's pretty sad that there are so many bad NHs in the bx.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM

61,284 posts, read 84,022,545 times
wow you are from portugal.
i was wondering if you could tell me a little about the country.
i understand they have 2 political parties like we do. so what do they call them?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-05-2008 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM

139 posts, read 898,179 times
na bx718 because its some neighborhoods in the bronx that are good places as a whole(morris park,pelham bay,riverdale,throgs neck overall aint bad..etc) thats why i didnt name the whole borough

Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM

172 posts, read 457,800 times
Nobody would call Prospect Heights the ghetto anymore, though Crown Heights probably still qualifies. Here's something from 77th Precinct ... a mugging map! Google Maps

Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,528,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Nobody would call Prospect Heights the ghetto anymore, though Crown Heights probably still qualifies. Here's something from 77th Precinct ... a mugging map! Google Maps
Hey, how do I get a crime map like that, like where I live, in the UWS? I want to know what is been reported in my area, thanks.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM

5,727 posts, read 19,404,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Hey, how do I get a crime map like that, like where I live, in the UWS? I want to know what is been reported in my area, thanks.
I have the same question.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,721 times
I just joined this site. Found it because I'm researching moving to the Bronx possibly. Thinking of moving there because I can afford it, and a friend recommended I look into some areas of Mott Haven. I've lived in Hamilton Heights for eight years. Spend a lot of my time walking the area between 135th and 155th (N/S), Riverside to St. Nicolas (E/W). Before that I lived in Hell's Kitchen for 8 years.

Nobody's mentioned Hamilton Heights as a location, and that's fine; few people know the name anyway, so I usually say I live in Northwest Harlem, or West Harlem, whatever, I'm not going to argue a few blocks either way.

I live in a building with neighbors who have lived there MUCH longer, as much as 50 years. They all tell me that by the time I moved here in 2000, that the neighborhood had been majorly cleaned up; and I've only seen it grow more. Only a few new buildings in the area as of yet. Not like say, St. Nicholas between 110-125, where every other building is a new condo.

So to compare my years in midtown with my years in West Harlem, I would say categorically that West Harlem is as safe, if not safer than midtown. Has there been crime? Yes. Is there noise? Sometimes, but it's not nearly as loud or polluted as midtown. Once I had walked the area a few times, within a month of moving in here, I have always felt comfortable. There are areas that I avoid a bit, but only late at night. Some blocks are better than others, sure. But I'd recommend this area to anyone. And I know about 10 families who have moved into the area in the past few years, and they love it too. Not much in the way of restaurants and bars, a few, but very little selection.

Only negative thing I can say, is that when I moved in, some friends moved into the same building a month later. And the wife used to tell me that she was always getting mean looks from people because she's white and blond. Of course this was 8 years ago, and it's clear to me that this neighborhood has a LOT more white bread on the shelf than it did 8 years ago. I never had this problem; nor did my wife, but she looks Spanish a bit.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

59 posts, read 247,237 times
You guys are still hyping up New York Crime like the city is still in the 80/90s. There are other cities like Philly that makes the entire New York City seem like a tropical paradise so why argue about which parts are worse? New York is a great city and part of the reason I moved here temporarily is to get away from some crazy **** from my hometown. When I first moved here the only parts of the city I knew where Brownsville where my cousin lives and Yonkers where I have friends at. Just by being in those two places I thought New York was very similar to Philly but once I moved here and started going all over the 5 boroughs I realized its not that bad at all.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,611,038 times
Please don't get into a repeat NY vs Philly crime thread. Please just search this subject dozens of threads already covered this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City