U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 04:38 PM

803 posts, read 2,865,273 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Dallas, St. Louis (currently the murder capital), Chicago and now New York, and I have to say, that out of ALL of them, New York is by FAR the safest and most easily lived-in city I've ever seen....

Places like Baltimore & Detroit are REALLY where the crime and criminal elements have taken over... New York doesn't PLAY that s*it though, and thanks to strong campaigns by Giuliani & Bloomberg, the gangland free-fire zones created under the Dinkins administration has largely gone by the wayside.

There's still a precious few places where I wouldn't want to be caught walking around drunk flashing my moneyclip after 10PM, but those places are few & far between....
Rate this post positively

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,754,109 times
I agree Tor..the crime here is certianly nothing to ignore or dismiss, but those that think the crime in this city is crazy has never traveled to other parts of the country where gangs DO have a stranglehold and crime is an EVERYDAY part of life. NYC, by far, is a very safe city...and although some parts have higher crime than others...they are still far better than the vast majority of places.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM

59 posts, read 247,154 times
Who is in a NYC vs. Philly crime conversation? Im just stating what the people who posted above have said "those that think the crime in this city is crazy has never traveled to other parts of the country where gangs DO have a stranglehold and crime is an EVERYDAY part of life."

Its part of the reason why I enjoy currently living in NYC.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM

5,727 posts, read 19,394,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
Who is in a NYC vs. Philly crime conversation? Im just stating what the people who posted above have said "those that think the crime in this city is crazy has never traveled to other parts of the country where gangs DO have a stranglehold and crime is an EVERYDAY part of life."

Its part of the reason why I enjoy currently living in NYC.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of NYC are you in?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM

I live with my girlfriend in Astoria Queens during the week and in Brownsville Brooklyn with my cousin on the weekends.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
I live with my girlfriend in Astoria Queens during the week and in Brownsville Brooklyn with my cousin on the weekends.
And you dont find Brownsville to be a wee-bit uncomfortable?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM

haha Brownsville isn't really that comfortable at all. It reminds of me of my old neighborhood, as long as you know how to maneuver in that kind of environment you can survive. I wouldn't advise anyone who hasn't lived deep in the hood to venture into Brownsville though.

But as a whole NYC is cool, there are just certain areas where its still poppin.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 50,620 times
Default What?

Dangerous new york? Here it is. Avoid the Bronx!!!!! Also Brownsville/East NY suck alot and are the worst of worst. everything else is pretty much ok. So just avoid the Bronx and that part of Brooklyn and you will be ok.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,526,626 times
^ You mean the 'South' Bronx? There are areas in the Bronx that are ok to live and visit. Although I am ok visiting the South Bronx sometimes than I ever will visiting East New York/Brownsville.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
^ You mean the 'South' Bronx? There are areas in the Bronx that are ok to live and visit. Although I am ok visiting the South Bronx sometimes than I ever will visiting East New York/Brownsville.
The term "south" Bronx shouldn't even exist any longer. It's a term used to describe the porblem spots in the 70's. IMO, the north Bronx is just as bad. The difference with the north Bronx is that it has "less" hot spots. Meaning that you can find yourself in more quiet blocks than anywhere south of Fordham rd. Doesn't make it any less dangerous.

So I think the term Bronx is correct. Think about it, there are more ghetto areas in the Bronx than non-ghetto. Unless you want to say , south Bronx, north-east Bronx, west bronx, central bronx etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City