U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM

318 posts, read 1,065,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3in View Post
Dangerous new york? Here it is. Avoid the Bronx!!!!! Also Brownsville/East NY suck alot and are the worst of worst. everything else is pretty much ok. So just avoid the Bronx and that part of Brooklyn and you will be ok.
That's just ignorant.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 AM

139 posts, read 897,949 times
yeah supermario dudes kill me with that south bx stuff man.like we in the 60's still.we need to start saying eastside of the bronx or the westside now

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,755,507 times
Yeah Rob3in.....the worst advice I have ever heard and more of the same fear mongering. Let's just avoid the Bronx and everyone in the city lives happy, safe, free, and a perfect life right? Lol....just a sample of what you'd be missing if you "just avoided the Bronx":

-The most parks/parkland of any borough....and the largest park as well, Pelham Bay Park.
-The best zoo in the city and the country for that matter: The Bronx Zoo (lions, tigers bears oh my!)
-The most higher educational institutions of any borough: Fordham U, SUNY Maritime, College of Mount St. Vincent, Manhattan, and others.
-The ORIGINAL little Italy: Arthur Avenue
-The MOST affordable housing and overall most affordable cost of living in the city.
-The MOST diverse housing stock in the city: Luxury condos, affordable housing, Mansions, low-income housing, Estates, seaside bungalows, 2/3 family homes of all kinds, high rises, coops, super-urban/suburban/country areas, etc.
-Arguably the BEST neighborhood in the all the city: Riverdale. Beatuiful estates, panaramoc views of the Hudson and Palisades, Wave-Hill Gardens, etc.
-A HUGE upside potential as the Bronx is now being repositioned as the middle class choice for housing in the city.

And thats just off the top of my head! Anyone that says to "just avoid the Bronx" is the same person that was saying "just avoid Brooklyn" 10 years ago, and "Just avoid the East Village" 5 years before that, and "just avoid the Upper West side" 10 years before that. This posters "advice' is ignorant, dumb, and plain nonsense...don;t believe the BS...the Bronx is in play.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:47 PM

5,727 posts, read 19,398,505 times
Actually Guy.....Van Cortland Park is the largest park.

You forgot Bronx community college for educational institutions aswell.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM

307 posts, read 2,466,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
And thats just off the top of my head! Anyone that says to "just avoid the Bronx" is the same person that was saying "just avoid Brooklyn" 10 years ago, and "Just avoid the East Village" 5 years before that, and "just avoid the Upper West side" 10 years before that. This posters "advice' is ignorant, dumb, and plain nonsense...don;t believe the BS...the Bronx is in play.

And like some people say these days 'Avoid Harlem'...
it's simply ignorant.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM

8,991 posts, read 12,606,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Manhattan: East Harlem, Central Harlem, West Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights, LES projects

Brooklyn: Bedford Stuyvesant, Brownsville, East NY, Flastbush, East Flatbush, Bushwick, Crown Heights

Brooklyn north is mostly slums.

Basically the above areas are the ghettos in the respective boroughs. That doesn't mean that they cant be resided in, just that they're undesirable. Some are really bad though.
Brooklyn "north" is not mostly "slums." Bushwick is a rapidly growing, and very desirable location for tons of artists, creative types, and students. Yuppies are even starting to move there. The crime is still high in pockets and the neighborhood is somewhat ugly and sketchy in parts, but it is by no means "the slums." That's adequate for 1980--not 2008.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM

SuperMario I think the largest park is Pelham Bay Park:
Pelham Bay Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
(if the link does not work..just look it up in nycgovparks.org)

I did not list all the educational institutions which is why I included "and others."

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM

5,727 posts, read 19,398,505 times
Ok, you're right

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,196 times
I surprised no one mentioned Park Hill in S.I. aka Killa Hill as it's known by some of it's residents. Someone previously posted W. B-something was not all ghetto but for the parts that are it's more unsafe then other places. I think you guys need to stop being so scared though, it sounds like you think you are gonna get shot up. I hear that all the time moving from NYC to upstate, people comment on how they think you'll die if you get left out there lol. Sure it could happen but if your not gang-associated, a robber, an idiot, etc. you'll be fine.

Last edited by Prophet718; 02-19-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 PM

I find it so odd that the culture of the Wild West, that voraciously gobbled up land across the country, exterminating millions on their quest to Manifest Destiny, suddenly have become petrified of inner cities...what happened? Where is the "bravery" now? I guess people are alot scarier when they have equal footing and can hit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City