Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM

318 posts, read 1,095,371 times

Advertisements

Guy, what bike route do you take to get into Manhattan? I mean which bridge, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,979,787 times
I take the Willis Ave bridge directly to the east side bike trail (FDR)...they are connected. Easy ride down..and quite nice too! You should join me sometime..it's pretty cool...plus we can traverse through Harlem and see all the development going on and eat at some cool spots.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Actually I haven't riden a bike since I was 12, which is like 3 1/2 lifetimes ago for me. But I'm planning on getting one this year. It may take me a while to make it down to the South Bronx, first I've got to make sure I can make it around my block. But thanks, I'll take you up on your offer when I do.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM

Lol....don't wait too long....enjoy the great whether while it lasts! They actually have added quite a few bike lanes throughout Mott Haven and Hunts Point....they are leading the way in greening the city and encouraging biking/walking....

Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out without breaking out my daughter's old training wheels. From what I understand, they have quite a few bike lanes, and more planned, up here.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,589 times
I am indeed a chick. A relatively tough one (although I am still scared of the Koreans, as a previous poster found funny). I want to live in a place like S. Bronx b/c it is what I am comfortable and familiar with. As a child, I lived in housing projects and lower income neighborhoods. I am not such a fan of Starbucks, gentrification, and I have no desire to live in Manhattan or a hip place. My idea of a good way spend spare time would be to do volunteer, community-based work with either local civic groups or a neighborhood high school when I am not teaching, and the South Bronx seems like a good place for this as any. So that's why a single woman coming from the middle-west might want to live in South Bronx.
I am still curious, from the S. Bronx current residents, what is the best way to find a rental unit? I am coming out to visit in July for an August and haven't seen so much online (craigslist, citi-habitats, NYtimes). Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks again for all the great information.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times
If you don't mind doing some legwork, a good way would be to just walk around and talk to supers.

Along the Grand Concourse for instance there always seem to be buildings with for rent signs...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM

What kind of apt are you looking for..i.e. # of bedrooms, price range..etc. Craigslist is the best resource I have found other than knowing people/walking around.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,063,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I live in Fordham, and believe it or not, there are a few Asian people around. A few live in my building. There just aren't a lot of Asian people in the Bronx period. Just a sprinkle spread out throughout the borough. But people really don't mess with you. I don't think there is any reason to worry....
I agree. I would really like to hear from all these people that are so fearful of living in a community of color to find out who has specifically f'd with them and made them feel this fear. Like if you're white or Asian you're just a target and there will be this free for all of all the "colored folks" bothering and attacking you. I keep making the same point around the forum, but I just find it shocking how fearful people are of poor people or people of color. Tell me your personal experiences that created this fear, if there are any that is..

Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM

242 posts, read 924,565 times
Default Oh the Irony of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts2003 View Post
Good morning to all the South Bronx Haters,

All ya'll are going to be eating ur words when this area comes up! I don’t live there because I have to, but because I choose to. I brought my place in the South Bronx, so it was a conscious decision. Just because Blacks and Latinos are a majority does not make it a bad place to live. So the only good places are the ones filled with White people? That’s bull**it! Ya’ll probably said the same thing about Harlem a couple of years ago (Who’s laughing now). Keep telling people to go live in places like Pelham Pkwy, which is full of racist mafia type Albanians who don’t want you living in there neighborhood anyway (if you don’t think s**t happen over there your wrong). The South Bronx is not an episode of law and order, so get that stereotypical bull out your mind.
Great post bro. Show those racist pigs who's the boss by bashing Albanians. BTW theres alot more hispanics in Pelham Parkway than albanians. But I'm sure Y'ALL know that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City