Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,624 times

Advertisements

Hi, i am new to this community. I will be looking for a one bedroom in South Bronx (preferably in Mott Haven/Hunts Point/or the Stadium area). Maybe eventually buying. I've been trolling this forum for a while now and I will be a public employee (read: moderate income but decent union benefits) and would like to live in a not completely gentrified area.
However, my sensitive question is that I am not sure about how my race/ethnicity will matter in these neighborhoods. I am Korean-American and I currently live in a really "mixed income," mixed race area of South Minneapolis that has a fairly high concentration of public housing. I love my neighbors and I feel safe and happy here. My neighborhood is mostly Latinos, East African and Southeast Asian immigrants, and other folks more established in Minnesota. I've read on this forum that there are few Asian-Americans in South Bronx. Is this true and will this present any challenges for me? (I hope this post doesn't sound crass. I actually grew up a while in westchester and north jersey, never near any "Korean" communities, but my family was sure to locate in places where our race/ethnicity wouldn't be too noticeable).
Also, any thoughts on a commute to Midtown West will be appreciated. As well as advice on finding an apartment.
Thanks for all the great information on this forum already. what a great community!

p.s. Guywithacause, if the folks in charge haven't put you in some kind of civic position for repromoting the South Bronx, the whole community is missing out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Why would you want to live in the south Bronx?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 AM

112 posts, read 325,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Why do you live in the south Bronx?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaritybytch View Post
Hi, i am new to this community. I will be looking for a one bedroom in South Bronx (preferably in Mott Haven/Hunts Point/or the Stadium area). Maybe eventually buying. I've been trolling this forum for a while now and I will be a public employee (read: moderate income but decent union benefits) and would like to live in a not completely gentrified area.
However, my sensitive question is that I am not sure about how my race/ethnicity will matter in these neighborhoods. I am Korean-American and I currently live in a really "mixed income," mixed race area of South Minneapolis that has a fairly high concentration of public housing. I love my neighbors and I feel safe and happy here. My neighborhood is mostly Latinos, East African and Southeast Asian immigrants, and other folks more established in Minnesota. I've read on this forum that there are few Asian-Americans in South Bronx. Is this true and will this present any challenges for me? (I hope this post doesn't sound crass. I actually grew up a while in westchester and north jersey, never near any "Korean" communities, but my family was sure to locate in places where our race/ethnicity wouldn't be too noticeable).
Also, any thoughts on a commute to Midtown West will be appreciated. As well as advice on finding an apartment.
Thanks for all the great information on this forum already. what a great community!

p.s. Guywithacause, if the folks in charge haven't put you in some kind of civic position for repromoting the South Bronx, the whole community is missing out!
I am a Korean-American familiar with the Bronx. In the BX, you will find Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, African Americans, West Africans, Jamaicans, Middle Easterners, and then everything in between. The BX has few neighborhoods with concentrations of Asians but you see them scattered throughout the entire borough (mostly business owners).

1- You should rent before you buy in NYC. I suggest you check out Bedford Park/ Norwood. These neighborhoods include Latinos, Blacks, Whites, Asians, Middles Easterners, etc.

2- Public Housing here is not like Public Housing in Minneapolis.

3- I cannot guarantee you will be happy but there will be times you might feel unsafe. But that is the price of living in this city.

4- You can take the B, D (Express), or 4 trains to Manhattan

You can also look into Parkchester (6). You can look into Pelham Parkway (2,5). If you can afford it, try Riverdale/ Kingsbridge (1). After renting and more research, you should consider buying

Old 06-14-2008, 12:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I live in Fordham, and believe it or not, there are a few Asian people around. A few live in my building. There just aren't a lot of Asian people in the Bronx period. Just a sprinkle spread out throughout the borough. But people really don't mess with you. I don't think there is any reason to worry....

Old 06-14-2008, 12:28 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The Bronx is the most affordable borough by far. Queens would probably be a better fit, considering it's higher concentration of Asians, but its not as affordable as a lot of Bronx neighborhoods.

OP, don't know how much you make exactly, but you might be able to stretch your budget a little more, and try one of the in between areas of the Bronx, like Parkchester, or Bedford Park. These areas have problems, but they are generally considered safer.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The Bronx is the most affordable borough by far.
just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for, there's a reason the bronx is less expensive than other places, you could wind up paying in ways other than money

Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Why do you live in the south Bronx?
Not by choice.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The Bronx is the most affordable borough by far. Queens would probably be a better fit, considering it's higher concentration of Asians, but its not as affordable as a lot of Bronx neighborhoods.

OP, don't know how much you make exactly, but you might be able to stretch your budget a little more, and try one of the in between areas of the Bronx, like Parkchester, or Bedford Park. These areas have problems, but they are generally considered safer.
Good recommendations.

But Mott Haven..Hunts Point? Please...give me a break.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,624 times
I want to live in these neighborhoods b/c they are close to Manhattan and affordable. I have lived in the roughest parts of Seoul and Vancouver and I think I can hold my own, but I will see if this is the case when I visit to find a place and move in August. I am sure that Minneapolis is a quite different place than NY. I am hesitant about Queens b/c all of my co-workers suggest that the commute is not as easy as it seems. I want to avoid all the hip, increasingly expensive "young people's" neighborhoods in Queens and in Brooklyn (i enjoy a quiet, low budget lifestyle). I won't be buying anytime soon, as I need to save for a down payment.
How long is the commute from Pelham Parkway, Riverdale/Kingsbridge, Bedford Park/Norwood to Midtown West? I am hesitant about a longer commute. I think a 30 minute bike ride I do here is pushing it.
and to NooYowkur81, thanks, I am aware of the many Asians in Queens, but I kinda want to avoid that in terms of residence. My parents are immigrants with some connections to the Flushing Korean community [we lived in Ossining, and later around Long Branch NJ for most of my youth] and they [often not always] have often religiously-motivated, heteronormative panoptic interest in the second generations' personal lives. I will gladly take transit to the restaurants but I need a healthy distance. Plus I am attracted to the some civic activism and grassroots social movements within the Bronx.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City