Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 AM

491 posts, read 822,958 times

Advertisements

That area is Bedford Stuy, not a good area.
That landlords passing it off as Williamsburg.
The cool part of Williamburg is closer to Greenpoint (Lormer street stop on the L train)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

359 posts, read 2,587,838 times
Bed-Sty has made alot of strides in the community. You can take a drive through it and just see it visually. Its going through alot of gentrification but unlike harlem, nothing is being torn down, no one is being kicked out, and prices are rising because of the community getting together and making it better. Its not a case where rent prices are raised in a last resort to kick everyone out. Yes, Bed-Sty still is not as desirable as Cobble Hill or even Harlem for that matter, but it will be and its taking a better route to become so.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 21,109 times
East Williamsburg isn't the most desireable area, but New York City as a whole is very safe so I doubt you will have a problem. I know a couple people who live in the neighborhood and they love it.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM

319 posts, read 1,246,798 times
but the point is that this is not truly east williamsburg... landlords/brokers will toss around "williamsburg" so freely these days because it's such desirable property. i always thought as a rule that L as far as graham or G to metropolitan/lorimer is wburg...beyond that, no. could be wrong, but regardless myrtle is not wburg or e wburg. be careful - it's very easy to mislead. park slope is another one - true "south slope" is not sunset park... but often mislabeled as such because the slope is so desirable. tricky tricky... not saying it's undesirable to live outside of these areas, just sayin.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,942 times
I drive past the Myrtle Ave G stop often- its not Williamsburg. Your question was "is it safe". From what I've heard the area is fairly safe it you use common sense. There is a project nearby(if I remember correctly) and lots of shady activity at night. I would never want to live over there.

You are better off finding an apartment in Bed Stuy close to Fulton Ave A/C trains.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,776,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James231 View Post
East Williamsburg isn't the most desireable area, but New York City as a whole is very safe so I doubt you will have a problem. I know a couple people who live in the neighborhood and they love it.
False, there are some ghetto areas in the city of NY. Bad as low income areas of any city.

East Williamsbridge is an ugly area and is shady. It's where a sort of gentrified area meets the ghetto. The name is just another real estate scam. Williamsbridge by Greenpoint is much better. Park Slope and Greenpoint and much better areas then Williamsbridge and especially East Williamsbridge.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
False, there are some ghetto areas in the city of NY. Bad as low income areas of any city.

East Williamsbridge is an ugly area and is shady. It's where a sort of gentrified area meets the ghetto. The name is just another real estate scam. Williamsbridge by Greenpoint is much better. Park Slope and Greenpoint and much better areas then Williamsbridge and especially East Williamsbridge.
First of all its Williamsburg. Second of all you have to take this into consideration. Not to long ago there was not even any such thing as East Williamsburg. Even today some native New Yorkers know of no such neighborhood in Brooklyn. Its the whole Little Italy/Chinatown Situation. Chinatown is eating Little Italy just like Williamsburg is eating parts of Bed-Sty. This means that the neighborhood is a hell of alot better than it used to be. Its common sense. Yes it is an ugly area but its not dangerous. Its not really a real estate scam anymore because it improved the neighborhood(crime wise, ofcaurse i got alot to say about those yuppies)..

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM

33,351 posts, read 46,774,611 times
bed-stuy ends at flushing avenue. after that its williamsburg.
marcy pjs are on the border of bed-stuy and williamsburg.
for those familiar with the area, after flushing avenue the majority
of the street names change from bed-stuy streets to williamsburg streets
nostrand ave (the stuy) turns into lee avenue (williamsburg)
marcus garvey blvd (the stuy) turns into graham avenue (williamsburg)
etc.
the area by the flushing avenue stop on the G train is rite next to marcy
its not a good neighborhood especially at night.
and there's very big rats around there too
its not exactly baghdad around there but u will hear gunshots
and see a few crackheads.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,889,791 times
FYI, I know people who have been mugged all over the city, from City Island (if you can believe it) to Fifth Avenue and 70th. No place, no matter how much you spend, is 100% safe. It's more important to use your street sense (like spidey sense only you don't have to get bitten by radioactive arachnids). If you don't have it, you will get it. It's a sudden feeling that something isn't quite right and you notice yourself looking around. There's a slight pit in the stomach and an urge to get off the street and into a store or place with a lot of people around. When you get that feeling, however vague, LISTEN TO IT.

The other key is not to do dumb things. Is it right that you get mugged after passing-out drunk on the subway wearing your diamond tiara? No. Should it surprise you? No. Listen to your inner voice and talk to other New Yorkers about what they do to stay safe. Learn the magic of the, "invisible wall," that everybody uses on the subway and buses, walk with purpose, keep close to the curb when passing alleys, walk on streets with a lot of pedestrian traffic (particularly at night). Never shout, "help!," if in danger, instead shout, "fire." If you find yourself in a dark and empty part of the city at night, don't risk your safety, spend the money on calling a cab (keep a few taxi numbers in your cell). Pretending to talk on the phone or, better still, pretending to take pictures with your phone, can also help but that's still no guarantee of safety. NYers will remember when Rabbi Hect was mugged while talking on national radio from a pay phone.

You will learn how to act safe. Don't sweat it. NYers love to talk about what they do to look like a bad target for a mugger. In fact, NYers love to talk, period.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
FYI, I know people who have been mugged all over the city, from City Island (if you can believe it) to Fifth Avenue and 70th. No place, no matter how much you spend, is 100% safe. It's more important to use your street sense (like spidey sense only you don't have to get bitten by radioactive arachnids). If you don't have it, you will get it. It's a sudden feeling that something isn't quite right and you notice yourself looking around. There's a slight pit in the stomach and an urge to get off the street and into a store or place with a lot of people around. When you get that feeling, however vague, LISTEN TO IT.

The other key is not to do dumb things. Is it right that you get mugged after passing-out drunk on the subway wearing your diamond tiara? No. Should it surprise you? No. Listen to your inner voice and talk to other New Yorkers about what they do to stay safe. Learn the magic of the, "invisible wall," that everybody uses on the subway and buses, walk with purpose, keep close to the curb when passing alleys, walk on streets with a lot of pedestrian traffic (particularly at night). Never shout, "help!," if in danger, instead shout, "fire." If you find yourself in a dark and empty part of the city at night, don't risk your safety, spend the money on calling a cab (keep a few taxi numbers in your cell). Pretending to talk on the phone or, better still, pretending to take pictures with your phone, can also help but that's still no guarantee of safety. NYers will remember when Rabbi Hect was mugged while talking on national radio from a pay phone.

You will learn how to act safe. Don't sweat it. NYers love to talk about what they do to look like a bad target for a mugger. In fact, NYers love to talk, period.
I remember when I was little and was always told yell "Fire" never "help". Its just that people hear the word help and get kind of confused. If you hear the word Fire its an instant reaction of bad. Good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: