Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,565 times

Advertisements

My sister and I are moving to brooklyn and are about to sign a lease on an apartment in E. Williamsburg. However, friends who live in the heart of williamsburg say it is not a safe area. ANy advice? The apartment is off the G line near myrtle ave.
anyone familiar w/ that area? we do not need the fanciest area, just one that is safe to come home to at night.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I am familiar with the area and although it doesn't look appealing--much of the time--I imagine that if you are careful, that is, take the normal, proper precautions, you are reasonably safe in any area. By precautions I mean: look around you and keep your eyes roaming, keep your possessions close to yourself, stay in lighted areas, etc., and avoid crossing the underpass in the dark. Mind, I recommend these precautions anywhere.

Williamsburg is more populated these days, East or West, and shouldn't present more of a safety problem than elsewhere. I've taken the subway there, at random times often, and never felt unsafe--but I am a long-term NYer and tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtobrooklyn View Post
My sister and I are moving to brooklyn and are about to sign a lease on an apartment in E. Williamsburg. However, friends who live in the heart of williamsburg say it is not a safe area. ANy advice? The apartment is off the G line near myrtle ave.
anyone familiar w/ that area? we do not need the fanciest area, just one that is safe to come home to at night.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,192 times
Williamsburg just looks kind of gritty. But its actually very safe. Most of the people who live in Williamsburg now and days are young professionals and I dont think they have any plans to jump you for your ****. But still you just gotta look out for yourself.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Default Brooklyn

Is that what they call that area now, "East Williamsburg"? I had always know it as Bedford-Stuyvesant, as in Bed-Stuy, Do or Die.

Past reputation aside, many of these areas are being populated by what the police call "pioneers", the intitial white people who are taking advantage of a cheaper housing market in predominantly black neighborhoods.

Please consider these things:
- You will be the minority on the streets, shopping locally & the subway.
- There are some people who will see you as invading a territory that has been primarily African-American since 1960, aka "the Outsider"
- This area MAY become the next Williamsburg or Clinton Hill as those neighborhoods have become quite trendy, but you as a renter will probably not benefit too much from this other than the streets being a little more safe.
- You will be pretty close to Manhattan.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Bed-Stuy, Do or Die! Ha. Now that is the 80's

Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 72,087 times
Smile bad reputation

new York city has such a bad rep. And it is a bigger city where you may find bad people but all in all new yorkers are the best spirited the best generous people in the world let me tell you a true story. In 1996 my soon too be husband called me from long Island stating he wanted too see me he missed me. I was attending college in upstate new York 4.5 hours away. I decided too cut class and drive down because I missed him so he was working for a company he was on a business trip so he could not leave. Driving down i realized 3 hours into the trip I have no cash only my check book i keep over the vizer. Getting into new York city east 57Th street gas station I asked too talk too the manager I told him of my not having my wallet and we spoke for about 15 minutes and he gave me 150.00 cash for the check without seeing my NY license. That is what a true new yorker does for one another 911 proved that true NY does not sit by and see their fellow man be in distress yes new York is safe.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
nynoggin, you are absolutely correct.. for every bad thing that happens there are 10 good things that no one ever metions. However, you would be naive to move into a neighborhood where you will not fit in and not feel safe.

Me, with blonde hair & blue eyes, would never consider moving to Brownsville because I do not belong there. It may be somewhat biased thinking on my part but I also know that crime is major fact of life having worked there for many years.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Baylovers, I don't know Brownsville, but I think its ridiculous to think you don't "belong" somewhere because of your race, or that of those around you.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Anyway, isn't this about E. Williamsburg?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM

48 posts, read 461,636 times
Please read

http://nymag.com/nymetro/realestate/...eatures/11775/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: