Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,125 times

Advertisements

LOL I love the one about muttering sorry under your breath. That one is so true.

I feel comfortable riding the subway in Manhattan any time of day. After 11pm I'm always with someone else, but I'd do it if I had to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 AM

468 posts, read 2,358,256 times
Yeah, I think the whole "New Yorkers don't talk to each other! Don't make eye contact!" stereotype is odd and totally not true. People are constantly talking to each other on the train and I've struck up conversations with random people occasionally. Hell some woman at the grocery store yesterday would not stop talking to me and I'm pretty sure she's a native Harlemite...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
None of this is true... is this a joke? You see NYers talking loudly to each other on the train all the time. The train cars I get into are very rarely quiet, and if I step on someone, I'm going to tell them sorry so they notice it.. I don't really care if they acknowledge it or not. I don't see how ANY of this marks you as a tourist.
OK, the kids who usually travel the trains around 3:00pm after school are VERY LOUD and often obnoxious, as kids will be. I doubt anyone wants to model their behavior after teenagers though.

But when do you ever hear the conversations of people actually FROM the city? I have always found New Yorkers (native NYers) tend to talk more quietly, like as if you're on a cell phone, so everyone cant hear the convo.

Also, it is more than fine and very normal to make eye contact and tell someone sorry more clearly and directly. I was just noting that you are not actually required to make eye contact or be sure the person heard you by directing the "sorry" to their face. If you say it under your breath without turning your head, the person who was stepped on or touched will know you meant them without your needing to openly acknowledge them. Since there's so much touching and stepping on people's feet, I was just saying it doesn't need to be a big show of "sorry" but there does need to be some small acknowledgment of the unintentional contact otherwise New Yorkers (those who actually grew up here) find it rude and irritating.

Just curious, did you grow up in the city?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Yeah, I think the whole "New Yorkers don't talk to each other! Don't make eye contact!" stereotype is odd and totally not true. People are constantly talking to each other on the train and I've struck up conversations with random people occasionally. Hell some woman at the grocery store yesterday would not stop talking to me and I'm pretty sure she's a native Harlemite...
Native New Yorkers are some of the warmest nicest people in the world. I for one will jump in and offer my assistance anytime (even to pets HAHA recently I yelled at a few tough looking kids to stop them from beating their poor pit bull). If I see a tourist who looks confused, I'll offer help. If I see an old lady trying to carry a bag, or a mother with a stroller, up the train stairs, I'll ask if they want my help. Guess it depends on the person..

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 AM

106 posts, read 392,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
But when do you ever hear the conversations of people actually FROM the city? I have always found New Yorkers (native NYers) tend to talk more quietly, like as if you're on a cell phone, so everyone cant hear the convo.
People on cell phones, if anything, speak louder because they're shouting to make themselves heard. I was sitting in the first seat on the bus one morning (immediately behind the driver), and could clearly hear the conversation of the woman sitting directly in front of the back door. She was telling the person on the other end of the phone conversation AAAAAAAAALL about her recent medical procedures.

Although people in general aren't usually that loud, almost no one here speaks quietly.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Subways are fine. Almost eerily safe. I grew up during the 80's and early 90's when they were much more dangerous. Now is dramatically different.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
None of this is true... is this a joke? You see NYers talking loudly to each other on the train all the time. The train cars I get into are very rarely quiet, and if I step on someone, I'm going to tell them sorry so they notice it.. I don't really care if they acknowledge it or not. I don't see how ANY of this marks you as a tourist.
I disagree with some of this. In the mornings, my train from Astoria to 34th street is totally quiet. Going home is a different story though. Most people I would say are quiet, but I think the majority are travelling solo. I have encountered more than my share of loud obnoxious people who I'm pretty sure are from NYC based upon their conversations. But if you look at the ratio of loud to quiet, I would say it's mostly quiet.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
OK, the kids who usually travel the trains around 3:00pm after school are VERY LOUD and often obnoxious, as kids will be. I doubt anyone wants to model their behavior after teenagers though.

Also, it is more than fine and very normal to make eye contact and tell someone sorry more clearly and directly. I was just noting that you are not actually required to make eye contact or be sure the person heard you by directing the "sorry" to their face. If you say it under your breath without turning your head, the person who was stepped on or touched will know you meant them without your needing to openly acknowledge them. Since there's so much touching and stepping on people's feet, I was just saying it doesn't need to be a big show of "sorry" but there does need to be some small acknowledgment of the unintentional contact otherwise New Yorkers (those who actually grew up here) find it rude and irritating.

Just curious, did you grow up in the city?
Well, I guess it depends who you're stepping on, because the "flashy" people will start a scene if you mutter under your breath, but I always find it more polite to give the person a full acknowledgement, rather than a little grunt. I guess it might be because I usually take the 7 train, which is always bustling with people, from 5 in the morning all the way back around to 2 in the morning, but yes, the people in the train do tend to be talking loudly to each other, and I do think they're all from New York. My friends do the same thing, so I'm used to it, and spot it quite often. I've lived in the same place since I was born, so yes, I did grow up in the city.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM

175 posts, read 549,852 times
I think we all agree that the subways are safe. To an outsider they can look dirty and scary (especially the entrance), but they are fine and you'll quickly learn to enjoy using them. Also, people watching in NYC is some of the best people watching anywhere. Great mix of people, and it will make your commute shorter to imagine what your fellow passengers' lives are like.
As for whether NYers are nice, well some are and some are not. But NYers are used to being hustled for money, and tend to be a bit suspicious when you ask questions that you are going to try to hustle them. Once they see that you're not trying to hustle them, they are usually very helpful.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Generally, the old axiom is true: you're fine when you look like you know where you're going. If you're observant on the subway, you'll notice that one thing New Yorkers almost never do is carry a subway map. (Study the map before you descend the staircase!) If you find that you absolutely have to ask for directions, go to the conductor before other passengers--I say this as an employee of MTA, 5-1/2 years as a conductor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City