Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,047,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
So, If you where me would you just go for it. Take a chance and maybe other jobs might come up. Do you think it is easier to find a job when you live up there? I live in Florida it seems companies might hire someome local over someone that wants to relocate to the area. Is there any safe neighorhoods
that I would me able to afford on $50,000? Thanks again for your input.
You won't be able to find a landlord anywhere who is going to rent to you without secure employment. In this crazy housing market, landlords typically require at least 2 years at the same job and earning an annual salary of at least 45 times the monthly rent with a FICO score of at least 720.

It is a very dangerous assumption to believe that you can come here with a few thousand (or even $10,000 dollars) in your pocket and find housing and employment quickly.

And this is citywide -- in all of the 5 boros and the suburbs of NYC. Manhattan is even harder than the above due to the booming economy and reflation of the housing bubble.

If you talk to most real estate brokers, they will tell you that the only way most people from outside the area are able to get apartments is by having their parents act as guarantors for the rent (they must make 90 times the monthly rent).

So yes, you have a HUGE number of recent grads and people in their 20's who are able to make five figure salaries and live in the most expensive parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn (if they even work at all). I always wonder about this mystery-- How these hipsters from the Podunk parts of America are able to rent this huge lofts in Brooklyn, Tribeca, Chelsea & how they are buying up most of the condos going up in downtown Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 20,806 times
Not sure where I fit into your neat little categories, but I take slight offense, esp. to the one that states that the "ghetto" people are the ones playing their music loud and trying to steal my money. Anyway, as a Brooklyn native, I know you need a thick skin to survive in NYC. I grew up in a modest neighborhood (not the projects), where a cop's salary didn't go very far to raise two kids, so a little help was needed; sorry, but what else were we to do? I'm basically fed up with the notion that people think you can't live in NY on a 40-50K salary. I know that isn't true because I know people who do it! Now, maybe they don't spend hundreds of dollars a week going out, and shopping, and getting manis/pedis, but they do and can make it. Maybe not like Trump, but then again, who on this board lives like that? Millions who live in NY make it and maybe aren't so caught up with living in the coolest, trendiest neighborhoods, and just want a decent place to live. So, it is doable, people! Good luck, and good day!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,730,209 times
don't believe these people who say it absolutely can't be done.

my sister is a recent college grad living in a studio apartment in the east village. she makes 30k/year and pays 1350/month in rent. it's been a stretch for her, but she more or less made it.

on 50k, you could easily afford a 1500-1700/month place.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM

87 posts, read 453,916 times
Can I find a place for around 1500-1700 a month in a safe place?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,730,209 times
my sister feels safe in the east village. for 1500-1700 you could probably get a nice studio in chelsea or the west village. pretty safe areas. very liberal, so if that bothers you, you may want to stay away.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,047,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
my sister feels safe in the east village. for 1500-1700 you could probably get a nice studio in chelsea or the west village. pretty safe areas. very liberal, so if that bothers you, you may want to stay away.
Anybody looking for an apartment in NYC knows that the MINIMUM requirements to be accepted as a tenant are annual income at least 45 times the monthly rent AND near perfect credit and FICO score of at least 720.

And I always wonder how these 20 somethings or those who look like they are right of college are able to afford to live in luxury condos in the best neighborhoods of Manhattan. Does everyone work on Wall Street and make a $300,000 base salary???

$50,000 is hardly enough for a single person. $75,000 a year doesn't go far either even if you live out in Queens, the Bronx or Brooklyn.

$1,500 would maybe get you a studio in some parts of Queens but certainly nowhere safe in Manhattan where even walk up studios cost over $2,000 a month and require one to pay a brokers fee of 15% of the annual rent prior to lease signing.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,050,356 times
Nick, I think you are off somewhat. A good number of people, thousands, make less than $50,000 and have a life in NYC. A good number of people, more thousands, make less than $75,000.

When we use these figures and are so empathic it is difficult for a newcomer to evaluate what their life style might be and a disservice to them and NY.

I worked in government, less than 5% of the staff made more than $75,000; while the majority made under $50,000 -- they are all more than surviving.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM

284 posts, read 1,653,299 times
Smile you can definitely get an apartment for $1500

in a good area. In Manhattan, you may get the less exciting areas like the Upper East Side, Clinton, Financial District, Murray Hill, but it can be done. You may really want to consider roommate(s) and/or Brooklyn. Hoboken and Jersey City are also nice and convenient and you don't have the city tax.

Sure, it's great to have lots of money when you live here, but you can definitely do it on $50k. The NYC experience is priceless.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:10 PM

87 posts, read 453,916 times
What is wrong with the Upper East Side, Clinton, Financial District and Murray Hill? What is city tax? Do you have to own a car if you live in Hoboken NJ? I guess I am kind of confused some people say you live there on $50,000 and some say no. The rents vary in amounts also. What would you get for say $1800.00 and for around $1600.00?

Thanks for everyones help...

Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,050,356 times
I don't think you'll not get agreement. My opinion is you can get a decent place for 1600-1800. I base that solely on my own experiences.

There is nothing wrong with any of the neighbourhoods you mention:

East Side is a little more difficult for public transportation if you live close to the East River (1st, 2nd and York Avenues). Lots of hi-rise and walk-ups; many good local shopping areas.

Clinton is quite the new, and in place and expensive; easy commuting on two subway lines; lots of eateries and shopping but perhaps housing is a little run down--this was Hell's Kitchen area regardless of what it is now called. Mostly low rise, walk ups; small apts; some newer apartment houses near 47th Street.

Murray Hill is very posh and mostly quiet; can be quite lovely on the right street/avenue. Still has some neighbourhood feeling on most streets.

Financial District, mostly coops, some lofts, good eating, not many real neighbourhood shops but a good market near the WTC and over near Tribeca much more; can be expensive.

Here's a good-ish map of the neighbourhoods in Manhattan:

http://bbsnews.net/attack/neigh.html (broken link)

Hoboken and cars; probably can do without. I've never commuted from NJ, myself.

As I've said before thousands upon thousands of people live in NYC earning far less than 50,000, raise families and get on. It is a question of values, how people spend their money and what accommodations they make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
What is wrong with the Upper East Side, Clinton, Financial District and Murray Hill? What is city tax? Do you have to own a car if you live in Hoboken NJ? I guess I am kind of confused some people say you live there on $50,000 and some say no. The rents vary in amounts also. What would you get for say $1800.00 and for around $1600.00?

Thanks for everyones help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: