Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times

Advertisements

My younger cousin is an NYU student looking to move off campus next year. His budget is around $900/mo. Is it possible to rent a studio in Brooklyn or Queens for that price that's safe, close to the subway, and within a 20 minute ride to Manhattan?

I actually just moved back to NY a few months ago (originally from here) but from what I understand, a lot of neighborhoods have changed a lot since the 80's when I last lived here. I believe Astoria fits these qualifications (maybe I'm wrong)... any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
If he's attending NYU, he might get lucky and find a place in the East Village, Lower East Side or perhaps around 14th Street above the East Village. The West Village also occasionally has studios for around this price in the walk-ups around Sullivan, Thompson Streets.

I don't think I'd want to commute from Astoria to NYU regularly, but I am not a Queens-loving ex-New Yorker.

He might also check the boards at school for sublets, shares and rentals.

I am a former prof at the medical school and we always did listings.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
My younger cousin is an NYU student looking to move off campus next year. His budget is around $900/mo. Is it possible to rent a studio in Brooklyn or Queens for that price that's safe, close to the subway, and within a 20 minute ride to Manhattan?

I actually just moved back to NY a few months ago (originally from here) but from what I understand, a lot of neighborhoods have changed a lot since the 80's when I last lived here. I believe Astoria fits these qualifications (maybe I'm wrong)... any other ideas?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
Wow, ontheroad, you really think $900-studios are available in downtown Manhattan? Sounds like a dream!

I knew a girl who rented a studio in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, for 800 dollars. The commute to Midtown Manhattan was grueling and she didn't make enough money, so she went back to Colorado.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Yes, we are talking small studio. In the East Village, closer to Houston, I've seen some and also on the Lower East Side.

Hard, but do-able and far better than coming in from Astoria (so ugly that Astoria)! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Wow, ontheroad, you really think $900-studios are available in downtown Manhattan? Sounds like a dream!

I knew a girl who rented a studio in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, for 800 dollars. The commute to Midtown Manhattan was grueling and she didn't make enough money, so she went back to Colorado.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I know of some places in the North Bronx and New Jersey where you can rent a studio for under $1,000, but the commute is going to be pretty bad getting to NYU.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
How about finding a roommate?
I went to NYU but I won't tell you how many thousands of years ago that was and I left NY 10 years ago. From what I remember, I would prefer to stay in the area rather than commute from Bklyn or Queens.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
Jersey City and Hoboken are easy commutes on the PATH, which stops at both 9th St and 14th St @ 6th Ave. Quick walk east to NYU. More convenient than many Brooklyn and Queens locations.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 114,354 times
I currently live in Astoria - the rents a really getting very high - you might find a studio in a basement for that price in this area. Alot of people around here are getting apartments with roommates - check out www.craigslist.net - you might find something there - also check out the area well - Astoria is still very up and comming, but there are still alot of little areas that are undesirable (ditmars is nice and the streets in the 30's are nice too)

Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
Doubt youll find anything for $900 that isnt in a bad neighboorhood or a long commute. My mom knows a teacher whos daughter pays $2500 a month for a Manhattan studio. Why would the landlord rent it out for $900 when people are paying $2500? You get what you pay for. Get a roomate and split the costs. Going to be very crowded with two people in a 400 feet studio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City