Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,098,900 times

Advertisements

My grandparents lived at 309 Atkins in the 1950's.

ENY really sunk since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM

838 posts, read 1,204,264 times
Default east new york

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGirl16 View Post
alright, thanks for everyone's feedback. Also, could anyone give me an idea of just how bad East New York is (late at night). Is it more seedy/poor or like, very dangerous? Are the chances of getting attacked pretty high, if my friends were to walk to the subway or even just take a cab. Because none of my friends believe me... they just say I'm scared for nothing, which now I believe is untrue

IT'S BADDDDD. lol. Your parents would be awful for allowing you to go.
When I have kids they aren't going to parties. High school is for learning..not for partying. And def. no in a hell hole like east new york.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,994,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I was kinda saying that as a counter to Mario's logic. He's used to the dense crime ridden ghetto's of the Bronx, so to him walking around ENY doesn't seem that bad.
ENY isn't as bad as it seems. It's a huge precinct. Not to rehash this but this is from another site.....it shows exactly what I mean.

Comparing the 75th (East NY) and the 46th (Morris/Uni Heights, Fordham, Tremont) from 2005.

Quote:
The 75 Pct has approximately 5.5 miles of area and a lot of manpower when compared to other precincts and I would rather live in the 75 Pct than the 70,46 or 44 when you take into consideration the size of those Precincts, their manpower and the amount of reported violent crime.

75 Pct 5.5 Square Miles 1,505 violent crimes = 274 violent crimes per square mile.

70 Pct 3 Square Miles 1,218 violent crimes = 406 violent crimes per square mile.

44 Pct 1.97 Square Miles 1,149 violent crimes 583 violent crimes per square mile.

46 Pct 1.32 Square Miles 1,111 violent crimes = 842 violent crimes per square mile.

The 28 Pct is the smallest in NYC at .49 Square Miles and if it was the size of the 75 it would have over 6,000 violent crimes per year.

Like I said I would rather live in a Precinct that covers 5.5 square, has 274 violent crimes per square mile than a Precinct covering 1.32 square miles averaging 842 violent crimes.

BIG DIFFERENCE HUH, it's all a numbers game.

The 46th precinct is probably the highest crime area of the city. East NY gets all the play....while these neighborhoods go undermentioned. Look at a precinct map and look at how huge an area the 75th patrols. It's like the 34th precint was in 1990....had almost 200,000 people and over 100 homicides but they broke it down into the 33rd and 34th and as a result didn't look as bad. They should break East NY down and see how bad it looks.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,965,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
ENY isn't as bad as it seems. It's a huge precinct. Not to rehash this but this is from another site.....it shows exactly what I mean.

Comparing the 75th (East NY) and the 46th (Morris/Uni Heights, Fordham, Tremont) from 2005.

The 46th precinct is probably the highest crime area of the city. East NY gets all the play....while these neighborhoods go undermentioned. Look at a precinct map and look at how huge an area the 75th patrols. It's like the 34th precint was in 1990....had almost 200,000 people and over 100 homicides but they broke it down into the 33rd and 34th and as a result didn't look as bad. They should break East NY down and see how bad it looks.
Weird.. those might be the statistics, but I've walked around University/Morris Heights quite a few times, and felt quite comfortable actually.. it didn't seem like a crime-infested hole from the outside, at least.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Weird.. those might be the statistics, but I've walked around University/Morris Heights quite a few times, and felt quite comfortable actually.. it didn't seem like a crime-infested hole from the outside, at least.
Have you walked in East NY?

I feel uncomfortable walking down Sedgwick, Harrison, Undercliff, Andrews, Loring, University, Grand, Davidson, Jerome, etc from Fordham to the Cross Bronx on summer nights for the simple fact that everyone is outside. You have 20 pairs of eyes grilling you as your walking through their hood. The blocks are tiny so you even have to say 'excuse me' at times just to get through. You better not look down because they see the fear and they will prey on you. It's a jungle. People screaming, yelling, blasting music, gang bandanas, weed, alcohol on a block that has 20 tightly packed tenement buildings that are falling apart. The narrow blocks dont help as they seem like they never end.

Tremont is my definition of a ghetto.

Where in Morris/Uni Heights have you walked? At what time of the day?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM

33,445 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

supermario, i'm ashamed.

i know you dont know brooklyn that well, but did you happen to think that crime in the 75th precinct occurs mainly in a few places? the 75th covers a huge area but there's not exactly murders happening all over the precinct. there's some quiet blocks where **** doesnt happen.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
supermario, i'm ashamed.

i know you dont know brooklyn that well, but did you happen to think that crime in the 75th precinct occurs mainly in a few places? the 75th covers a huge area but there's not exactly murders happening all over the precinct. there's some quiet blocks where **** doesnt happen.
The way people make it seem I tought the whole precinct was in shambles. What is the trouble spots in the Precinct? Because the 46th precinct is pretty bad throughout. Also which do you think is worse?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 PM

33,445 posts, read 46,858,020 times
which one is worse? i think that from a cop's point of view, the 46 would be harder to patrol cause there's **** happening all over the place, and the majority of the neighborhood is buildings. but to say which one is worse, i cant make an an opnion on that.

if you point me in the direction of a map of the 75th, i'll tell you the hot spots. cause i want to be sure i have the correct boundaries, especially in the western part of the precinct.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 07-08-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 AM

447 posts, read 1,583,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
IT'S BADDDDD. lol. Your parents would be awful for allowing you to go.
When I have kids they aren't going to parties. High school is for learning..not for partying. And def. no in a hell hole like east new york.
have you even been to this hell hole?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,171,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
You were probably walking on a main street so it didn't seem that bad. Generally in that part of the BX the side streets are hot. They definitely rank up there with the worst parts of the city crime-wise. I keep my a** off them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City