Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 95,720 times

Advertisements

Hello- My family and I will drive from NY to FL in a few weeks, and I am a bit aprehensive because of safety issues. Does anyone know what route would be the best, suggestions of places to stop and avoid along the way. where to stay and hotels to spend the nights?
We want to make the trip in 4 days and go to different tourist attractions that might be worth to visit. We have Washington DC in our list, but beyond that, we have no idea where to stop.
In FL we will stop in St. Augustine before our final destination Miami.
Thanks for any advice, tips, and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,277 times
I was going to suggest taking I-81 down to I-77 or perhaps Chattanooga, but then I read you want to visit Washington. It is a real pretty drive, isolated, and not very congested, unlike I-95.

As far as Washington goes, I would try to get a hotel near a subway station, perhaps in one of the western suburbs, and take the Metro to central DC. You can access all of the major attractions using the subway, and it is popular with the tourists. Using the subway is the best way to see the sights.

Be sure to stop at a McDonalds or rest stop in Florida, or any state you plan to spend the night in, and pick up a hotel coupon book.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
The AAA can help you plan the trip and can give excellent advice.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
I-95 all the way down. Technically you can make it down to Northern Florida in about a day, but I wouldn't reccomend it. You should take at least 2 days to do the drive in my opinion. 4 seems like a little bit much.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,415 times
Thumbs up 95 All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I-95 all the way down. Technically you can make it down to Northern Florida in about a day, but I wouldn't reccomend it. You should take at least 2 days to do the drive in my opinion. 4 seems like a little bit much.
I95 is the only way to go....offers the fastest trip down with enough stop overs...you might consider buying a GPS system...you can get one for as little as $150.00 and they offer enough information to off set the price...you can find restaurants...hotels...gas stations...fast food...shopping...tourist sites....land marks...etc....well worth the investment....especially if you are driving down for the first time...

Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
google I 95 forums" then click on one of the links about I 95 travel info(I think the website is travelriver.com). there are posting boards with everything you want to know about that route

Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,995,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMel View Post
Hello- My family and I will drive from NY to FL in a few weeks, and I am a bit aprehensive because of safety issues. Does anyone know what route would be the best, suggestions of places to stop and avoid along the way. where to stay and hotels to spend the nights?
We want to make the trip in 4 days and go to different tourist attractions that might be worth to visit. We have Washington DC in our list, but beyond that, we have no idea where to stop.
In FL we will stop in St. Augustine before our final destination Miami.
Thanks for any advice, tips, and suggestions.
We usually take 78West from NJ to 81 all the way down to 64 East, we get off at exit 181, at that point we are in Virginia. A multitude of restaurants and nice hotels along that strip. Then we take I-95 right there to Florida. There is only a small toll when you cross PA., and the ride is very scenic and pleasant. Be careful: twice we have been acosted by young people coming out of the woods in the North Carolina, exit of Fayetville, and I-95, and two exits before that. They seem to have a drug problem with crystalmeth around that area. Enjoy.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I95 is the only way to go....offers the fastest trip down with enough stop overs...you might consider buying a GPS system...you can get one for as little as $150.00 and they offer enough information to off set the price...you can find restaurants...hotels...gas stations...fast food...shopping...tourist sites....land marks...etc....well worth the investment....especially if you are driving down for the first time...
I did that drive too (about a year ago) and you will be so much better off using a gps. TomTom just came out with a new one called the ONE 130s, and it would make that I-95 drive a breeze. No, it doesn't drive the car for you...but this model has text-to-speech (it speaks the street names) which makes navigating those wacky Florida roads a whole lot easier. Also very easy to use, which imo is very important.

One bit of advice - unless you specifically want to visit these cities, be sure to drive around NYC and DC! The traffic in these cities is horrendous, so it's worth it to take the longer route looping around them.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
it all depends on the time of day you leave nyc. if you leave at around 7 in the evening you won't hit the rush-hour DC traffic, plus its easier driving downsouth in the night time cause its cooler outside and you wont have to run the A/C as opposed to in the brutal afternoon sun.
from nyc on 95:

to dc - 4 hrs
dc/va to nc border - 5 hrs
nc to sc - 5 hrs
sc to ga - 3 hrs
ga to fl - 4 hrs
fl border to miami - 8 hrs

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 06-24-2008 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 136,045 times
When I drive from Florida to NYC, I take I-95 and it usually goes pretty smoothly. Also, I have lived pretty close to St. Augustine my entire life, so if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: