Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM

175 posts, read 549,842 times

Advertisements

I live right outside of Syracuse - for the past 6 years - and yes Syracuse gets a lot of snow in the winter, but they clear it fast and life goes on. It's not that bad. In fact, it's better here with 2 feet of snow than in Washington DC with 2 inches of snow.

Syracuse's problem is jobs (economy). Yes, people get around by car. Many people prefer driving to public transport. It's not like driving in NYC - no rush hour, no hyper-aggressive drivers. Commute is easy. I like the NYC subway system, but not everyone does. Let's not overstate the case.

As for LA's foreclosure rate quadruppling, it was very low before because prices were increasing at a fast clip. A 5% foreclosure rate is hardly the great depression. $5 billion in "losses" - you mean paper losses from the inflated highs in the market, I assume? This is all pretty silly. Again, the sky is not falling. The world is not ending. Oil supplies are not running out tomorrow. Our lives are not going to change dramatically overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 03:51 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,379 times
Trust me the suburbs of NYC are not going anywhere, with Westchester, Long Island, and Northern New Jersey they are very well off.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
I live right outside of Syracuse - for the past 6 years - and yes Syracuse gets a lot of snow in the winter, but they clear it fast and life goes on. It's not that bad. In fact, it's better here with 2 feet of snow than in Washington DC with 2 inches of snow.

Syracuse's problem is jobs (economy). Yes, people get around by car. Many people prefer driving to public transport. It's not like driving in NYC - no rush hour, no hyper-aggressive drivers. Commute is easy. I like the NYC subway system, but not everyone does. Let's not overstate the case.

As for LA's foreclosure rate quadruppling, it was very low before because prices were increasing at a fast clip. A 5% foreclosure rate is hardly the great depression. $5 billion in "losses" - you mean paper losses from the inflated highs in the market, I assume? This is all pretty silly. Again, the sky is not falling. The world is not ending. Oil supplies are not running out tomorrow. Our lives are not going to change dramatically overnight.
They're not paper losses if the bank has to foreclose on them, b/c then the bank has to pay the taxes on them, and the upkeep on them. The bank has to make sure they don't get vandalized, which will drive the price of the home, and the area if it happens to enough vacant homes, down even further. Then the bank has to pay to repair the vandalism.

Especially now, banks need their money to make loans, or to at least shore up their balance sheets.

They're not 'paper losses,' unless the bank can hold onto to it until the market comes back AND absorb the costs of holding onto the property.

Do you think those inflated prices are coming back anytime soon? Do you think banks are going to lend insane amounts of $$$ to people who 1) cannot afford to pay it back, and 2) to purchase a home that is FAR higher than avg. local wages are able to support. They're not just paper losses. They are real losses if the bank has to foreclose or re-negotiate the mortgage OR approve a short-sale.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:51 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
surprise surprise. The future of the suburbs is futile. Not only are high energy costs going to ensure that they loose value, but I think most people have figured out that, at least for the monotonous subdivisions, they are really boring places to live. but worry not: most of our cities that have lost ppl to the burbs were once really beautiful places to live, and in fact most neighborhoods in the typical US city (cleveland, detroit, st. louis) are big houses with nice lawns, just like the suburbs, but with waay more flava, better architecture, and well designed neighborhoods. Its not such a bad thing. I think it will help our society in general as people will actually live together (like we have it here in NYC) and actually come face to face on a daily basis with the large number of people they share their world with.
Mmm, smell the self-satisfaction! This is something I really hate. I have no desire whatsoever to live in a new build suburb, but let me tell you, you're not winning over the suburbanites with that attitude.

I don't see the suburbs dying at all. The exurbs, yes. People who stretched themselves to buy and are driving 2+ hours a day, that's not sustainable. But the inner suburbs are another story. In New York, you have to move outside the city limits to get any space unless you have a ton of money, since NYC house lots are small.

Your argument is entirely irrelevant to the majority of suburban families. "Flava" means nil when it also means lousy schools and nowhere for the kids to play. You know what many families think when they see these lauded "New Urbanist" developments? No yard. A lot of families just don't want to live packed in like that. A lot of families have a completely different set of priorities.

I think places like Nassau and Westchester aren't going to die even with higher fuel prices. Yes, they're imperfect. They sprawl and you need a car. But (especially on the South Shore) it's smaller lots and smaller houses (easier to heat and cool) and they do at least have train service.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:17 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Mmm, smell the self-satisfaction! This is something I really hate. I have no desire whatsoever to live in a new build suburb, but let me tell you, you're not winning over the suburbanites with that attitude.

I don't see the suburbs dying at all. The exurbs, yes. People who stretched themselves to buy and are driving 2+ hours a day, that's not sustainable. But the inner suburbs are another story. In New York, you have to move outside the city limits to get any space unless you have a ton of money, since NYC house lots are small.

Your argument is entirely irrelevant to the majority of suburban families. "Flava" means nil when it also means lousy schools and nowhere for the kids to play. You know what many families think when they see these lauded "New Urbanist" developments? No yard. A lot of families just don't want to live packed in like that. A lot of families have a completely different set of priorities.

I think places like Nassau and Westchester aren't going to die even with higher fuel prices. Yes, they're imperfect. They sprawl and you need a car. But (especially on the South Shore) it's smaller lots and smaller houses (easier to heat and cool) and they do at least have train service.
I really never understood this line of argument. Don't people in the suburbs understand that we have parks for the kids to play in? I have 2 very nice parks, that usually have tons of kids in them, within a 5 minute walk of my place.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I really never understood this line of argument. Don't people in the suburbs understand that we have parks for the kids to play in? I have 2 very nice parks, that usually have tons of kids in them, within a 5 minute walk of my place.
It's not that people in the suburbs don't understand. It's that they have no choice but to deny what's available in the city. You can't rationalize leaving otherwise.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Parks are nice. (And many suburbanites do take their kids to the park so they can play on the equipment and the moms can gossip.) But it's not the same as just letting the kid run around the back yard. You can't send your preschooler off to the park. You can let them out back and watch through the window while you cook dinner. They're two entirely different things.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,934 times
Actually its better than having the kids play in the backyard...you have an entire park with kiddi playgrounds, open fields, and LOTS of other kids to play with. And yes, you can also watch them from your window while you cook dinner, as many homes lives abut parks.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM

I've lived in both cities and suburbs, and it's not the same--especially since parents don't let their kids roam free like they used to. If you have younger children (I do), you have to supervise; it's basic safety, not paranoia. My toddler cannot be out of my sight.

I love parks, and I don't think we all need half acre lots. But, especially now that I'm a parent, I can't dismiss the advantages of having a little space of my own.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,934 times
Agreed...and having a park with LOTS of people watching your child is better than 1 person watching a child. And living in the city you can have the suburban lifestyle with backyard, garage parking, 3 story single family home, i.e. "a little space of your own."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City