Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM

14 posts, read 54,878 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC for my daughter to attend LaGuardia Arts H.S. I am looking for an apt in a safe area as my 14 yr old daughter will be traveling to and from school on her own. I can spend 2-3k on an apt. What are my options? Thank you in advance for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM

14 posts, read 54,878 times
Default Nursing in NYC

I am a RN, BSN moving to NYC. What are the best hospitals to work in and the ones to stay away from. I currently live in Portland Oregon and make $50+/hour with full benefits. Patient ratio is 4-6 on a med/surg/tele unit.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Welcome to the City!

Where exactly is the school located? I think on the West Side somewhere? Obviously you will want to live as close to there as possible to shorten your daughter's commute. I myself used to travel the trains and anywhere in between growing up in NY starting at around age 9, but I must say I am far more paranoid for my daughter (who is only 2 so there you go) so I cannot picture her being out on a train or bussing it on her own at 14. Maybe 15. But as a nervous mother your ideal situation is to live near the school. Anyway, it sounds like you should be able to afford something on the upper west side if that's indeed where the school is located. Look on craigslist.org and do a search in the school's area for apartments to see the rents.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Welcome to the City!

Where exactly is the school located? I think on the West Side somewhere? Obviously you will want to live as close to there as possible to shorten your daughter's commute. I myself used to travel the trains and anywhere in between growing up in NY starting at around age 9, but I must say I am far more paranoid for my daughter (who is only 2 so there you go) so I cannot picture her being out on a train or bussing it on her own at 14. Maybe 15. But as a nervous mother your ideal situation is to live near the school. Anyway, it sounds like you should be able to afford something on the upper west side if that's indeed where the school is located. Look on craigslist.org and do a search in the school's area for apartments to see the rents.
Yea, it's next to the Lincoln Center.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
I suggest you find a job before even beginning to cater to your daughter's fantasy

There is a lot of competition here for nurses because just about every college female is gonna think being a nurse is their easy ticket to move to "the city"

50/hr is lot of money, you sure you wanna give that up, I mean not going to LaGuardia is not the end of an art career, if you can even call it that

Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 PM

I would think you've already researched the salaries from recruiters or hospitals rather than relying on us for that, before you make a definitive choice to move.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelcdl59 View Post
I am moving to NYC for my daughter to attend LaGuardia Arts H.S. I am looking for an apt in a safe area as my 14 yr old daughter will be traveling to and from school on her own. I can spend 2-3k on an apt. What are my options? Thank you in advance for your response.
Has your daughter already been accepted to the school?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
Yeah seriously. You're making $50 in portland oregon and you;re going to move for her to do "arts"? I know it's your daughter..but like everyone else said...giving that up is quite a chance. And yes it is veryyy competitive in NYC. What's more important...your career and supporting your family..or your daughter doing art? It's not a college I mean. And you might make about the same in NYC...but to live in Manhattan you better think of paying $3k for a 1 bedroom for you and your daughter to split. It's not as easy as you think. If anything..if you're set on coming..live in Queens. You can get a really nice basement apt (what a lot of us live in) for $900-1200 a month and if you move somewhere decent she will get around well on the subway line.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:04 PM

I dunno, it could be a really exciting move for you and your daughter for a few years, though I wouldn't recommend staying forever.. I just read in another thread about how well paid experienced nurses are here. I've always heard of them being high in demand.

If I was you, I would prefer to commute to work rather than living near work and having my daughter be the one commuting. If its one straight bus ride maybe, but not involving the train or transferring and a lot of walking.

As far as $3,000 for an apartment, no you can definitely find nice 1 bedrooms (though I'd think you'd want 2 bedrooms) for around $2400 in some nice areas not far from the school.

If you're a single mother, you could have a really great time here as a lot of olderish people have a social life and go out.

Obviously your best bet is to look into different hospitals and getting a job BEFORE you move here (unless you have lots of savings).

Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
I still don't understand: has your daughter been accepted into the school? It's quite competitive among the special public high schools in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City