Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,019 times

Advertisements

The agreement was for one apartment, not both. They got the deal they wanted. They may make another deal for the other apartment so good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM

33,402 posts, read 46,840,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
How greedy can these people be though?! The landlord already offered $55K to the mother and she still wanted more! Do you know that the landlord has to cover a mortgage and expenses such as heat and hot water? My family would never pay that kind of money to get someone out. We'll let em live in their sh*t hole apartment which hasn't been renovated in years, and we'll take over the apartment for free if we want it for our own use. Keep in mind, its OUR building. Go to any other American and ask them if the owner of a privately owned building should have to pay people thousands of dollars to leave and they would wonder if we live in a capitalist country or in China. And I'm not even saying I'm against rent stabilization to a degree, but people really push it with their greed.
i'm not going to comment on the fairness of what the landlord offered because i dont know what 55K would cover for a 72 year old woman who is most likely living on a fixed income and has health issues. bottom line is the landlords are the ones who started the buying out process.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,067,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i'm not going to comment on the fairness of what the landlord offered because i dont know what 55K would cover for a 72 year old woman who is most likely living on a fixed income and has health issues. bottom line is the landlords are the ones who started the buying out process.
Bottom line is that this 72 year old woman is not the landlord's family member and the landlord should have no responsibility to her with regard to her fixed income or her health issues. If the government wants to be responsible, I'm frankly all for it. I'm a person that believes in a safety net for people, I just dont see it as fair that landlords cannot rent their apartments for the market rate and that they cannot evict tenants if they so desire. Yet I want people of various incomes to be able to afford to live in Manhattan too, not just rich folks. Which is why I'm not vehemently against the rent stabilization practice when fairly used. But I think its the government's responsibility before its a private individual or corporation's responsibility to look out for an American senior on fixed income who is ill. Government, her family..anyone but a private land owner with his or her own bills, mortgages, expenses, ill family members, etc.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Bottom line is that this 72 year old woman is not the landlord's family member and the landlord should have no responsibility to her with regard to her fixed income or her health issues. If the government wants to be responsible, I'm frankly all for it. I'm a person that believes in a safety net for people, I just dont see it as fair that landlords cannot rent their apartments for the market rate and that they cannot evict tenants if they so desire. Yet I want people of various incomes to be able to afford to live in Manhattan too, not just rich folks. Which is why I'm not vehemently against the rent stabilization practice when fairly used. But I think its the government's responsibility before its a private individual or corporation's responsibility to look out for an American senior on fixed income who is ill. Government, her family..anyone but a private land owner with his or her own bills, mortgages, expenses, ill family members, etc.
well when the apartment hits $2000 a month for rent then the landlord can rent for market rate...thats just the law. i know the neighborhood is "Gentrified" now and everybody wants to cash in, but there are still guidelines to be followed. what it all comes down to is, being a landlord is a tough business, especially when you have the attitude of making money first and providing decent homes for people second. not saying that that's you quelinda, but we both know that as much tenants there are that beat the system, there are slumlords. quelinda, you said your father owns 2 buildings. do they have certificates of occupancy? any DOB/ECB/HPD/FDNY violations on them?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,067,003 times
No sweetie my daddy's not a slum lord, no violations, and he never does anything grimey to move his tenants out. We did have one crazy biatch who smelled up the place, had a crack head boyfriend, and would harass my father (calling his message machine 100s of times) and would sometimes nightly run the water causing a flood in his apartment below. We still couldn't get this nut case out, til we finally managed to get her moved to the other building for the same low $500 per month rent. She's still living large while my father subsidizes her lifestyle (it costs him more to heat her apartment and give her water, and pay his property taxes and insurance, than he earns from her rent, he is literally subsidizing her living arrangements). My dad was not born rich, he worked hard all his life til the day he retired just recently, rarely missed work and worked for just 2 different employers for the past 40 years. So with his work money he put a down payment down on the buildings and got a mortgage. He worked to pay those mortgages, so when a private person subsidizes another private person in lieu of the government, its often a bit unfair. Again, I'm not calling for a repeal of rent stabilization necessarily, but the system really has its issues.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM

hey, just asking....if your father's doing what he's supposed to do then its all good!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
Hey AnomieMoe, don't feel remorse for your decision. I'm sure your LL (and all the others in NYC) aren't asking themselves about karma or doing the right thing. I'm in a similar situation as you as far as a buy out and rent stabilized apartment that I've lived in for many years and I'm not feeling bad about anything. I think it's admirable that you are taking care of your mom and the fact that you and your family lived there for years, well, these slimebag LLs would do anything to toss an elderly person out on the street so your mom is lucky to have you there with her as her advocate. The law is here to protect you and you should pursue your childhood home without feeling like you've done anything wrong.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,774,516 times
My cousin's husband had moved out of his childhood home and the city for 5 years (a rent controlled 3BR). He moved back to the city and back in with his mother. They talked to a lawyer before he moved in -- as the building is going condo and the landlord is constantly trying to buy out tenants. They were told as long as his last name was the same as the name on the deed, and he had previously lived there, he was fine. If his last name was not the name on the deed, he could have had grief from the landlord.

Don't know if it is the same in the OP's situation, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City