Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I don't think I heard anyone else (except Hustla) refer to the neighborhood below Bedford Park as Fordham-Bedford. Everyone seems to call it Fordham.

Thanks for the link, Luchador. I hadn't seen that.
I prefer Fordham-Bedford.

If you call it Fordham, you're making Fordham an incredibily large neighborhood. From E 180th to E 200th.....or from Burnside to Bedford Park.

So seeing as Fordham rd is the border for south Bronx....it's only right to differentiate the neighborhood above it.

So North Fordham or Fordham-Bedford is appropiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I don't think I heard anyone else (except Hustla) refer to the neighborhood below Bedford Park as Fordham-Bedford. Everyone seems to call it Fordham.

Thanks for the link, Luchador. I hadn't seen that.
I usually call it Fordham as well. But people call it Fordham-Bedford since those two neighborhoods can be easily considered as one.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM

296 posts, read 734,334 times
Yo supermario you said everything below Fordham rd is good right??...what would that be everything below 190th???

Old 07-01-2008, 05:39 PM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I prefer Fordham-Bedford.

If you call it Fordham, you're making Fordham an incredibily large neighborhood. From E 180th to E 200th.....or from Burnside to Bedford Park.

So seeing as Fordham rd is the border for south Bronx....it's only right to differentiate the neighborhood above it.

i always saw fordham as this:

north: bedford park blvd
south: fordham rd
east: webster av
west: jerome av

i dont see why fordham and bedford-park have to be lumped into one neighborhood just because the crime may be similar or because the neighborhoods look similar in appearance.

brownsville borders east new york, but nobody lumps them together as brownsville-east new york. so i dont see the point.

and that south bronx thing is dead...i think its real inaccurate to define the boundaries of a neighborhood based on socioeconomic status or crime rate...its like saying "Hey since a lot of mexicans live in the southern part of texas, it makes more sense to call that part of texas mexico as well..." its really not accurate to me. and if i start it again, so be it:

south bronx boundaries:
north: cross bronx expwy
south: harlem river
west: jerome ave
east: westchester ave

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

check that map for accurate neighborhood locations.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah, I've heard North Fordham too. It is confusing.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Yo supermario you said everything below Fordham rd is good right??...what would that be everything below 190th???
No way!

The notorious south Bronx is everything under Fordham and west of the Bronx River. The section under Fordham is the infamous Bronx ghetto. The blight and crime spread a little above Fordham, covering Fordham-Bedford. But once you pass Bedford Park BLVD things are much better. The higher you go past Bedford Park, the better it is. So essentially, Fordham-Bedford is probably the highest bad hood in the Bronx. There aren't too many past that. In comparison to everything under Fordham, which is one big ghetto.

Fordham rd is about 189th. So everything under 189th is crap. And up to about 200th (Especially east of Jerome) is still ghetto. But on the west side of Jerome, the hood reaches till about 193rd.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Mario you confuse me lol real talk, im just going to go up there and see for myself. Im going "to try" not to bugg you about it again!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i always saw fordham as this:

north: bedford park blvd
south: fordham rd
east: webster av
west: jerome av

i dont see why fordham and bedford-park have to be lumped into one neighborhood just because the crime may be similar or because the neighborhoods look similar in appearance.
So then what are you calling the neighborhood south of Fordham?

It’s not Tremont. Not even close. I never heard one person from there call the area Tremont. They always say I live in Fordham. Also according to the 46th Precinct that covers the area south of Fordham

The 46th Precinct is located in the central part of the western Bronx. The area includes four neighborhoods known as Fordham, University Heights, Morris Heights and Mount Hope. The commercial strips are along East Fordham Road, Grand Concourse, West Burnside Avenue and Webster Avenue. The precinct consists of both residential and commercial areas.

NYPD - Precincts

If anything the area north of Fordham is incorrectly called Bedford Park but the area just south of Fordham rd has always been called Fordham.

Also you are not lumping the neighborhood when you call it Fordham-Bedford. These neighborhoods are not similar in crime. North Fordham is much much worse. The name implies that it goes from Fordham rd up till Bedford Park blvd. The Bedford Park neighborhood is past that. It’s pretty self forward. I agree with Fordham-Bedford or North Fordham.

Quote:
brownsville borders east new york, but nobody lumps them together as brownsville-east new york. so i dont see the point.
As for the Brownsville-East NY….these are neighborhoods. Not street names, which is what Fordham-Bedford is…….. Fordham rd to Bedford Park blvd. Anyways sometimes neighborhoods are grouped with each other. A lot of places refer to Morris Heights as University Heights. Probably because they have the same main thoroughfare, University avenue.

Quote:
and that south bronx thing is dead...i think its real inaccurate to define the boundaries of a neighborhood based on socioeconomic status or crime rate...its like saying "Hey since a lot of mexicans live in the southern part of texas, it makes more sense to call that part of texas mexico as well..." its really not accurate to me. and if i start it again, so be it:

south bronx boundaries:
north: cross bronx expwy
south: harlem river
west: jerome ave
east: westchester ave

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

check that map for accurate neighborhood locations.
I totally disagree with you regarding the south Bronx thing. You may disagree with naming neighborhoods in terms of socioeconomic status or crime rate but you fail to realize that is the reason for the south Bronx term in the first place! It just so happen that the ghetto part of the Bronx started in the southernmost neighborhood, Mott Haven. So many people tried to differentiate the good part and the one bad pocket, so they referred to the bad pocket as the south Bronx. If the bad pocket was in the north, it would have been called north Bronx. So as the crime and poverty spread
so did the borders. It has nothing to do with geography.

Your borders are incorrect too. So you’re excluding the following neighborhoods from the south Bronx:

Highbridge, Morris Heights, Tremont, East Tremont, West Farms, University Heights and Fordham.

That doesn’t make any sense. First off, in a lot of Yankee telecasts the Yankee Stadium area is referred to as the south Bronx.

How did you choose your borders?

Abandonment? No it cant be. Every neighborhood above suffered from abandonment.

Arson? Rubble? Cant be it either. Highbridge and Morris Heights had as much vacant lots as any neighborhood east of it. Morris Heights also has the largest number of REHABBED buildings in the whole borough. Take a stroll through Harrison, University or Andrews avenue if you want to see the boarded up windows. They’re full of them still. University Heights has plenty of vacant lots.... if you want me to name them, I could. East Tremont and West Farms suffered a lot of arson and abandonment. All the above apply to Fordham and Tremont aswell.

Puerto Rican population? Every neighborhood above has a significant Puerto Rican population. Especially East Tremont and West Farms.

Poverty? Every neighborhood above is extremely poor and the income is no more than $19,000 in any of the zip codes.

Crime rate? Every neighborhood above have significant amount of crime. Refer to crime rates.

Housing Projects? You have Highbridge Gardens in Highbridge, Sedgwick Houses in Morris Heights, Bailey houses in University Heights, Twin parks in Fordham, East 180th in East Tremont, Monterrey Houses in East Tremont, Lambert Projects in West Farms.

So your borders cant be according to urban blight, arson, poverty, crime etc…..you must be strictly going on geography but if that’s the case then why are you excluding Highbridge? Which is south of the cross Bronx…..you’re not being consistent. Also Morrisania is more in the middle than it is the south, so it cant be geography either.

Here are some articles for you:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE7D61E3EF93AA25751C0A9639582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

These are city planners, mayors etc all agreeing in 2008, 1979, 1978 that the south Bronx was/is from Fordham rd down. Maybe the area above the cross-Bronx is not refered to as such today thanks to the prominence of neighborhood names and the Morrisania (and sometimes Mott Haven and Melrose) neighborhoods soley retaining the south Bronx term... but in the late 70’s W 183rd was as much the south Bronx as E 138th….Fordham was as much the south Bronx as Melrose….Tremont as much as the south Bronx as Morrisania etc etc

And this is still the case. Nothing has changed to remove the south Bronx name from the upper portion of the south Bronx.

So once again……the correct boundaries of the south Bronx are
North: Fordham rd
West: Harlem River
East. Bronx River
South: East River

Dont let the lack of usage of the term fool you. The south Bronx was and is every neighborhood south of Fordham rd and west of the Bronx river.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Please post links to articles instead of copying them in your post -- thanks.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Supermario:I totally disagree with you regarding the south Bronx thing. You may disagree with naming neighborhoods in terms of seriocomic status or crime rate but you fail to realize that is the reason for the south Bronx term in the first place! It just so happen that the ghetto part if the Bronx started in the southernmost neighborhood, Mott Haven. So many people tried to differentiate the good part and the one bad pocket, so they referred to the bad pocket as the south Bronx. If the bad pocket was in the north, it would have been called north Bronx. So as the crime and poverty spread
so did the borders. It has nothing to do with geography.

I agree with you 100,000,000% if the bad pocket was North then it would be "North Bronx"

Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
.I agree with you 100,000,000% if the bad pocket was North then it would be "North Bronx"
Yes. People like making this into an argument where in reality there is nothing to argue. There was a huge thread devoted to this......

The boundaries of the south Bronx are as plain as day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City