Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,852 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice about booking hotels in Manhattan using Priceline or Hotwire. I know that star ratings and hotel quality can vary greatly in people's estimation. I also know that reviews for hotels can be very different. So since Priceline and Hotwire specialize in letting users book hotels in specific zones and not by hotel name I wouldn't know what hotel I'm booking until after I'm committed to it. I've used Priceline and Hotwire that way before but Manhattan hotels are pretty diverse so I'm wondering about the odds of getting a good place or a crappy place (in terms of reviews on websites like TripAdvisor) when using those methods. Should I bother using Priceline if I'm very concerned about getting a hotel with terrible reviews or are the odds pretty good that if I put in a bid I'll get a good one?

I'm probably way overthinking this but I did some research on the Bidding for Travel website to get an idea of what hotels people are coming up with in their bids and am nervous about the diversity in quality of hotels.

Any advice on getting a good deal this way or otherwise? The budget is around $150/night. Straight up reservation or hope for a heckuva deal on Priceline? I'm hoping for the upper west side or somewhere around Broadway above the 40s. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It's off season right now and rates are down again. If you shop around you might get a deal without the risk of Priceline. I like quikbook.com and kayak.com.

Here's a tip: The theater district is generally more expensive because the tourists all want to stay in Times Square. Midtown East has a lot of hotels for business travelers (because of offices in that neighborhood). Business travel is down due to the recession. You'd probably get a better deal, or at least a nicer room, in Midtown East than Midtown West. If you get something near Grand Central, it's a quick and easy subway ride to Times Square.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Midtown. I was very happy with the hotel and the price was not that bad.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,852 times
Thanks. I'm thinking of Midtown West because we're taking our 6 year old and want to visit the Natural History museum, planetarium, and the zoo. I'm not finding that the rates in other parts of Manhattan are any lower elsewhere so since the prices are about the same I figured we could stay close to where we plan to visit. We've been to NYC before and stayed in Times Square (Edison Hotel) several years ago so we're generally familiar with the area. We're also coming from the DC area so we're familiar with riding subways. I just imagine it would be very convenient to be right there.

TripAdvisor and other websites give excellent reviews to Hotel Newton, The Lucerne, The Belvedere, and On the Ave so I'm considering those as some top choices. The Belvedere gives a rate in mid-March of $120/night so that sounds pretty good. That one is in the Theatre District so it's slightly further away than just stepping out the door and walking a few blocks but it sounds like a good deal. Is there something else on the East side that's good and about the same price range (up to $175/night)? I'm certainly open to suggestions and will research that area a little more.

We plan to take Amtrak so parking is not an issue for us. Thanks again for any advice in my obsessive research.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Here's a trick that worked for a couple of my friends, but might depend on the hotel.

You can call the hotel you want to stay at, regardless of the nightly rate, and ask them if they are a priceline hotel and explain that you want to stay at their hotel and see if they would give you a priceline rate. This guarantees them a reservation for a rate they would've agreed to anyway if selected by priceline. I had one friend try this at the Hudson Hotel in Columbus Circle, which would be convenient for you, and got a rate of $129/night while their website quoted $279/night. Another friend of mine tried this at the Omni hotel in Philadelphia and also worked, so might be worth giving a shot?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,449 times
Default Hudson Hotel

I'd really like to know what your friends thought about their stay at the Hudson. I just got it for $165/night on Priceline, and I'm a bit a apprehensive about it, as the reviews on Tripadvisor are not very positive.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
you may like this instead KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once Roomorama - Short Term Rentals, Short Term Apartments & Furnished Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: