U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 49,507 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are staying in a hostel on east 105th street. We are both females in college (she's 21, i'm 20) and we're pretty smart about our surroundings and stuff, but i really don't want to risk getting into danger or being targets for anything. I know i'm generalizing but all I know is that my boyfriend heard the world "Harlem" and freaked out. We both live in college towns (I'm in GA, Shes in NC), where I especially have to be on the lookout for crime because it is incredibly high, so I do have some street smarts...but basically, what I'm asking is, is this a good choice? I'm not really sure if its really in Harlem, but thats what we think..should we be staying somewhere else?? especially if we are going to be going out at night? we'll be taking taxis from/back to the play we're staying at night, but still...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,654,706 times
Yes, that is East Harlem. I would tend to be very cautious in this area, and might suggest switching accommodations. My cousin's friends were in NYC last year and they stayed at a place off Broadway on the Upper West Side, at 101st. I think it's called the Broadway Hostel Hotel, and should be somewhere around the 200 block of W 101st St.

The young ladies I know who stayed there, all in their 20s, from small towns in Europe, liked it very much. Plus, that area is a little more stable, with residential doorman buildings on the UWS in surrounding blocks. I would not recommend walking too far East of Broadway, however, but the immediate neighborhood is fine. There is a subway stop at 103rd & Broadway, which is fine for getting out and about during the day. At night, however, I would recommend a cab, but one needs to be cautious in most of New York.

There are coffee shops and bistros on this stretch of Broadway, so you can have breakfast and such nearby, and it's easy to get around the city from there. Another thing I noticed about the hostel itself, when I went with them to check in (just to be absolutely certain that things were okay), is that they have a 24 hour attended lobby and security. The ladies who stayed there, who are hostel patrons in many countries, liked the fact that there was a desk attendant, since some hostels don't have that 24 hours a day.

In short, I don't know the property in East Harlem, but knowing the neighborhood, you might be better off trying to get into the hostel on the UWS on 101st. I think that they have a Website as well, where you can book directly, since that the ladies I know did. I hope that helps you some.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 AM

11,149 posts, read 15,233,302 times
I think this is good advice -- you'll be better off at the Broadway Hostel.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,945,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausguals View Post
My friend and I are staying in a hostel on east 105th street. We are both females in college (she's 21, i'm 20) and we're pretty smart about our surroundings and stuff, but i really don't want to risk getting into danger or being targets for anything. I know i'm generalizing but all I know is that my boyfriend heard the world "Harlem" and freaked out. We both live in college towns (I'm in GA, Shes in NC), where I especially have to be on the lookout for crime because it is incredibly high, so I do have some street smarts...but basically, what I'm asking is, is this a good choice? I'm not really sure if its really in Harlem, but thats what we think..should we be staying somewhere else?? especially if we are going to be going out at night? we'll be taking taxis from/back to the play we're staying at night, but still...

What is the crossing street? 105th and what?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
What is the crossing street? 105th and what?
Lexington, I think, as its called "Central Park Studios at Lexington" or something, but the address listed is on east 105th st.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, that is East Harlem. I would tend to be very cautious in this area, and might suggest switching accommodations. My cousin's friends were in NYC last year and they stayed at a place off Broadway on the Upper West Side, at 101st. I think it's called the Broadway Hostel Hotel, and should be somewhere around the 200 block of W 101st St.

The young ladies I know who stayed there, all in their 20s, from small towns in Europe, liked it very much. Plus, that area is a little more stable, with residential doorman buildings on the UWS in surrounding blocks. I would not recommend walking too far East of Broadway, however, but the immediate neighborhood is fine. There is a subway stop at 103rd & Broadway, which is fine for getting out and about during the day. At night, however, I would recommend a cab, but one needs to be cautious in most of New York.

There are coffee shops and bistros on this stretch of Broadway, so you can have breakfast and such nearby, and it's easy to get around the city from there. Another thing I noticed about the hostel itself, when I went with them to check in (just to be absolutely certain that things were okay), is that they have a 24 hour attended lobby and security. The ladies who stayed there, who are hostel patrons in many countries, liked the fact that there was a desk attendant, since some hostels don't have that 24 hours a day.

In short, I don't know the property in East Harlem, but knowing the neighborhood, you might be better off trying to get into the hostel on the UWS on 101st. I think that they have a Website as well, where you can book directly, since that the ladies I know did. I hope that helps you some.

Thank you so much! We tried staying at Broadway, as thats where my friend stayed last year, but according to their website, its all booked for the week we're going.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausguals View Post
Thank you so much! We tried staying at Broadway, as thats where my friend stayed last year, but according to their website, its all booked for the week we're going.

There is also a hostel somewhere around the 90's and central park west thats great, I used to stay there when I was looking a schools, It was like $780 a night I think. I can't remember the name though. You could try to google "hostels upper westside"

Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM

317 posts, read 1,102,995 times
Some people may try to scare you off because it's in East Harlem, but chances are very good that you will not have a bad experience. It's not in the best area, but it's also far from the worst, and I doubt the hostel would be in business and have so many nice reviews from people if their clientele was regularly being robbed and murdered. Check it out on hostels.com, there are pages and pages of reviews from people from all over the country and world, and I didn't see anything on the first two pages like "I GOT SHOT IN THE FACE. DO NOT STAY HERE".

Last edited by Minus; 07-03-2008 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: word error

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
Some people may try to scare you off because it's in East Harlem, but chances are very good that you will not have a bad experience. It's not in the best area, but it's also far from the worst, and I doubt the hostel would be in business and have so many nice reviews from people if their clientele was regularly being robbed and murdered. Check it out on hostels.com, there are pages and pages of reviews from people from all over the country and world, and I didn't see anything on the first two pages like "I GOT SHOT IN THE FACE. DO NOT STAY HERE".

I dont think they are concerned about being "shot in the face" so much as I am sure they want to be comfortable with there surroundings while they are visiting NYC. They say they are street smart, but "street smart" in Georgia may not be equal to "street smart" in east Harlem. I think as long as they take cabs late at night, I too think they would be okay, but if they are going to be uncomfortable with the area, they should look elsewhere so they will enjoy there trip to the fullest.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 AM

317 posts, read 1,102,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I dont think they are concerned about being "shot in the face" so much as I am sure they want to be comfortable with there surroundings while they are visiting NYC. They say they are street smart, but "street smart" in Georgia may not be equal to "street smart" in east Harlem. I think as long as they take cabs late at night, I too think they would be okay, but if they are going to be uncomfortable with the area, they should look elsewhere so they will enjoy there trip to the fullest.
Yeah, I suppose it does come down to personal comfort levels. I do agree that one should be able to enjoy their vacation without worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City