Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,379 times

Advertisements

What would you reccomend for a kid right out of college? Obviously i'm not going to be able to afford the Upper East Side but I don't wanna live in East Harlem either. So what would you reccomend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM

96 posts, read 407,390 times
I actually find the upper east side 90s, to be the cheapest.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Cool really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
I actually find the upper east side 90s, to be the cheapest.
Really? I thought the entire UES was yuppified and one of the most expensive places to live in the city, but I guess I'll have to look into it

Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
I "rep" the 305 too, Miami305Kid. I live in Brooklyn Heights / Cobble Hill but I would have to say that the neighborhoods that are good for kids right out of college (lots of young people, lower rents, lots of restaurants and stuff to do, etc.) are, in no particular order:

Astoria - my freshman year college roommate lives there, LOL. Lots of international food options, some bars, lots of twenty-somethings

Upper East Side - you'd be surprised that you can get some good deals off of 1st Avenue and York Avenue in the East 80's and 90's\

Greenpoint / Williamsburg - very "hipster" vibe but cheaper than most of Manhattan and lots of young people

Park Slope South and West, especially around Fifth Avenue (further from the park) - lots of twenty-somethings, lots of cheap eats, and pretty affordable rent, even compared to three of four blocks closer to the park.

Best of luck and let me know if I can answer any more questions that you may have.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
i'd recommend Chinatown

Old 07-06-2008, 05:56 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
I'd recommend Inwood (west of Broadway) or Hudson Heights in Upper Manhattan.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Default coool =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I "rep" the 305 too, Miami305Kid. I live in Brooklyn Heights / Cobble Hill but I would have to say that the neighborhoods that are good for kids right out of college (lots of young people, lower rents, lots of restaurants and stuff to do, etc.) are, in no particular order:

Astoria - my freshman year college roommate lives there, LOL. Lots of international food options, some bars, lots of twenty-somethings

Upper East Side - you'd be surprised that you can get some good deals off of 1st Avenue and York Avenue in the East 80's and 90's\

Greenpoint / Williamsburg - very "hipster" vibe but cheaper than most of Manhattan and lots of young people

Park Slope South and West, especially around Fifth Avenue (further from the park) - lots of twenty-somethings, lots of cheap eats, and pretty affordable rent, even compared to three of four blocks closer to the park.

Best of luck and let me know if I can answer any more questions that you may have.
I heard Brooklyn Heights was a beautiful neighborhood especially close to the Brooklyn Bridge. I guess I wouldn't be exclusivley looking at Manhattan because they're nice parts of every borough

Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
How much can you spend on rent? There are young people here too but just not as many as in other areas. Where will you be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City