Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times

Advertisements

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting NYC in a few weeks. We will only have two days to see a few things in the city. She is very artsy so I thought I would take her to see the Museum of Modern Art and possibly St Patrick's Cathedral (since it's right next door). I figured that would be enough to do in one day. Especially since my husband will be with our two younger kids while we see the MOMA.

The second day we are going to go in by ourselves. So my questions are:

1. If we took the train from Port Jervis NY in to Hoboken NJ. I believe we would take some kind of subway into the city. Is this correct? I think that it would take us into around 33rd st, correct? On this day I thought we might go check out the public library and maybe a few thrift stores. If we took the subway over from Hoboken to 33rd st, how far are we from the library? Do we need to transfer anywhere?

2. What type of cool shops, places are there to see that are artsy. I would like to stay in the "better/safer" neighborhoods since it will be just me and my daughter. Are there any really cool thrift stores that aren't super expensive?

3. What else would be really cool or unusual to see in NYC.

4. Is the Guggenheim worth seeing?

5. How long would it take (on average) to see some of these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
If you want to spend another day going to museums, I wouldn't waste my time at the Guggenheim. The best thing about the Guggenheim is the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Inside it's not got such a great collection. I'd recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art, at 82nd and Fifth. You can spend literally DAYS looking at the various collections and they have a very special JMW Turner exhibition now. The other thought is the refurbished Noguchi museum in Queens.

Your travels don't sound like they're going to take you even close to anywhere bad.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info Viralmd! I'll Google the Noguchi Museum and do some research on it. I think we'll skip the Guggenheim.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM

14 posts, read 60,363 times
Lightbulb suggestions

Well, since you'll be on Museum Mile, you'll be right next to Central Park as well. There is a ton of stuff to see there, and it's very beautiful. If you're sticking to midtown-uptown I'd recommend thinking about a Broadway show (doesn't get more artsy than that!). They have matinees some days as well as evening shows. Then of course there are the smaller museums along Museum Mile that might pique your daughter's interest -- Google it and see what she might like!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM

Great suggestions! I had no idea they had matinée shows on Broadway. I Googled Broadway tickets and it looks like they run from $60+.

That's funny-The Museum Mile. I get a kick out of some of the terms people use

I read somewhere that there is a carousel in Central Park. Does anyone know where this is located? Is it close to the end where I will be? By 53 rd St.

What is in Central Park? Do they have people selling things? What's it like? When I Google it it mainly comes up with tours in such. I'm trying to find out what goes on there.

Queendido- Do you know of any good thrift shops in the city?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Great suggestions! I had no idea they had matinée shows on Broadway. I Googled Broadway tickets and it looks like they run from $60+.

That's funny-The Museum Mile. I get a kick out of some of the terms people use

I read somewhere that there is a carousel in Central Park. Does anyone know where this is located? Is it close to the end where I will be? By 53 rd St.

What is in Central Park? Do they have people selling things? What's it like? When I Google it it mainly comes up with tours in such. I'm trying to find out what goes on there.

Queendido- Do you know of any good thrift shops in the city?
Central Park is huge.. I usually just walk around, and climb the rocks. There's a theater where concerts, and plays are held. There's a pond, where paper boat races are done every once in a while. I really am not qualified to fully explain it.. I usually just notice these things as I walk around. If you plan to go in, just keep a mind of where you're at, because it covers about 50 blocks going up, and only about four going across. =]

Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Google Central Park.

Central Park is 800 acres. The boat basin is different from the pond where the sailboats are sailed. The model sailboats (and some of them are enormous and worth thousands of dollars - others are simple affairs) are in the model boat pond just off Fifth Avenue at around 73rd to 75th Streets. You can enter the park at 72nd Street. The Carousel is nearer the center of the park in the mid-60s. You'll see it on the map of the park on the Central Park website.

Do they sell anything? Like what? Only refreshments, and some tee shirts.

It's a glorious park and, interestingly enough, most of it is manmade.

Museum Mile is so called because the Museum of the City of New York, the Guggenheim, The Jewish Museum and The Met are all along Fifth Avenue within that mile.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants to eat at around the MOMA area? My daughter is a vegetarian.

Can anyone tell me if Spamalot is still playing? I found a few websites that looked like they might have a ticket or two for sale but I don't know how reliable these website are.

Viralmd-I did check out the Central Park website and it's very informative.

Analyticalkeys-The paper boat races sound like a neat thing to check out!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
There are lots of vegetarian restaurants in NY. Not just "vegetarian friendly" - these are places that have no meat on the menu.

Go to menupages.com. It has menus and reviews for over 6700 NYC restaurants - all searchable by cuisine (including vegetarian) and neighborhood. "Midtown East" is the MOMA neighborhood.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
"Midtown East" is the MOMA neighborhood.
MOMA is west.

About the library. If you come in from Hoboken, you are coming in on the PATH train. It looks like a subway but it is not the same as the NYC subway system. The PATH connects cities in NE New Jersey to Manhattan. If you take it to 33rd St (take the 33rd St. PATH train, not the WTC one), you'd be at 33rd and 6th Ave. This is a block from the Empire State Building at 33rd/34th and 5th. The library is up 5th Ave. between 40th and 42nd. It's a quick walk from the end of the path line. You could also transfer to a B,D,F, or V train at the PATH station. That will cost $2 per person again (separate system so you pay again). You take it one stop uptown to 42 St. and you will exit by Bryant Park (beautiful, a little slice of Paris in midtown Manhattan). The park is right behind the NYPL. You can't miss it. Walk around to the front and you'll see the famous lions by the staircase. The inside of the building is well worth a few minutes. If you go in the library, you should go up the marble staircase. Toward the front of the building there is a cool little gallery with a Gutenberg bible and other interesting stuff. Toward the back is the main reading room, which has absolutely beautiful ceilings.

Central Park is amazing. You could also take that same B/D/F/V downtown a few stops to West 4th St. and walk around Greenwich Village, which is not something you really find anywhere else. If you do, you can get a PATH train back to Hoboken at W. 9th St just off 6th Ave, no need to go back to 33rd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City