Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
How do you explain the people who came here after 1993 and still have good for nothing kids?
By 1993 it was ridiculously hard for Dominicans who came here. In some ways it was easier because by then they had an established community to arrive to, but economically it was way harder. Its no wonder so many turned to drug-dealing. To be honest it was diminishing returns by then. Too many of us here. lol. Too few jobs for a mostly uneducated, unskilled pool. If the dad was any good, you had him working crazy hours to support a family, probably as a cab driver or something like that. By that time it was required for both parents to work no matter what, which meant a lot less time dedicated on the kids. Bad mix.

I have some family trying to come over now from DR, and I don't know how the heck they are gonna make out. I honestly feel they'd do much better staying in DR at this point. There really isn't much here for them except struggle. At least in DR the weather is nice. Maybe if they immigrate to some other part of the U.S. but NYC, nope.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-08-2008 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Basically this discussion revolves around the reasons why poor people often stay poor and rich people stay rich. For those who complain about poor youth getting into trouble, you try growing up in some of the environments that people live in and then once you've walked in those people's shoes (actually lived the life and not imagining how things are), you should reserve comment. I know I did a lot of things as a teen to survive that I'm not proud of, but at the time I was all about surviving and that was what I cared about most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: