Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 AM

4 posts, read 8,173 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a concert at United Palace Theatre in August and am wondering if a woman walking to the subway at night (around midnight, I'd imagine) would run into any trouble.

I've never felt unsafe in Manhattan but have never visited this part of the island...wanted to get a local opinion.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,988,521 times
Washington Heights supplies drugs for the whole north east. The worst parts are from Broadway to Amsterdam....all the way from 159th to Dyckman. The western part of the Heights is pretty nice and you may enocounter a few decent blocks here and there (even in the bad parts) but it is the ghetto. Get used to having whole blocks of people hanging out smoking weed, drinking and blasting their radio. The tenement blocks stretch for miles and are tightly packed. Very ugly neighborhood which lack trees and has graffiti everywhere. Still plenty of Drugs. Worse part probably 174th-175th St Nicholas. Learn some spanish, as almost everyone there is Dominican. This year, true to its nature, has seen an increase in crime. Alot of shootings and stabbings. But what do you expect from a neighborhood which oozes drugs.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,787,591 times
The A train is just a block away from the theatre, and I would imagine many of the other audience members would be headed in the same direction -- meaning that you really wouldn't be walking on your own.

Given the number of people around, you'll be fine.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Washington Heights supplies drugs for the whole north east. The worst parts are from Broadway to Amsterdam....all the way from 159th to Dyckman. The western part of the Heights is pretty nice and you may enocounter a few decent blocks here and there (even in the bad parts) but it is the ghetto. Get used to having whole blocks of people hanging out smoking weed, drinking and blasting their radio. The tenement blocks stretch for miles and are tightly packed. Very ugly neighborhood which lack trees and has graffiti everywhere. Still plenty of Drugs. Worse part probably 174th-175th St Nicholas. Learn some spanish, as almost everyone there is Dominican. This year, true to its nature, has seen an increase in crime. Alot of shootings and stabbings. But what do you expect from a neighborhood which oozes drugs.
Gosh -- sounds like the South Bronx!

She's just going to a concert -- not moving into the neighborhood.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Gosh -- sounds like the South Bronx!

She's just going to a concert -- not moving into the neighborhood.
Washington Heights and the West Bronx are mirror images. They basically are an extension to each other.

She still has to be aware of her sorroundings and take caution.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Washington Heights and the West Bronx are mirror images. They basically are an extension to each other.
I live in one and work in the other. They have a lot less in common than you suggest.

But I doubt that we'll see eye-to-eye on that.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I live in one and work in the other. They have a lot less in common than you suggest.

But I doubt that we'll see eye-to-eye on that.
What are some of the differences you seen? Im curious. I haven't seen none!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
What are some of the differences you seen? Im curious. I haven't seen none!
There are waaaaaaay fewer projects in Washington Heights, prices for co-ops are strong (a small 1BR in my building is under contract for $289k and a 2BR for $400k+), rents are higher here -- though still "reasonable" by Manhattan standards, and there's less gang activity (certainly less VISIBLE gang activity). While we have our share of 99¢ stores and bodegas (which do NOT cook bacon 24/7), we also have a Russian grocery store, natural food stores and kosher bakeries. There are two relatively upscale steak houses within 15 blocks of my house, along with a variety of other restaurants -- not all of which are fried chicken joints, Chinese take-away, or pizza. Of course, both Papa John's AND Dominos have opened nearby. Although we have tenement buildings, I've yet to see one of these:

The Columbia University Hospital complex, near 168th & Broadway, brings lots of brainpower to the neighborhood. Fort Tryon Park, home of the Cloisters attracts connoisseurs of medieval art, while those with an interest in colonial history can tour the Dyckman House.

OTOH, there's more dog sh*t on the sidewalks here .....

Oh -- and anyone getting priced out of MY neighborhood moves to the Bronx.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-08-2008 at 02:08 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 AM

With west Bronx I mean neighborhoods west of Jerome ave. There aren't that many projects on this side. Similarities include majority Dominican population, bodegas, barbershop, salons, lots of foot traffic, very dense, housing stock consist mainly of buildings, lots of people chilling on the block, loud music, drugs, gangs (there are many in the Heights), graffiti, gritty, dirty streets, oh and the W on street numbers.

Very few gang members flag so you really dont know whose in a gang and whose not but they are there.

The only difference I see (besides the black and puerto rican difference in the Bronx) is that the west Bronx buildings seem to be larger and Washington Heights has smaller tenements like you see in Mott Haven or Harlem.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
With west Bronx I mean neighborhoods west of Jerome ave.
Ahhhhhh -- I originally said "South Bronx" .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: