Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,539,533 times

Advertisements

We may have covered this last year but I'll take a chance. What was your scariest moment in NY?

Mine was in 1979, we were curious as to what the "Minnesota Strip" on 8th Avenue looked like so we walked down from the 50's on 8th. When we got to 48th/47th street, we were greeted by a group of vagrants(doped out of their minds) sitting on a stoop of an SRO/Welfare hotel type of residence with a transvestite hustler wearing a fur coat on a 90 degree summer day,the smell of pot and god knows what else wafting through the air in front of an XXX bookstore.

Needless to say we got the idea about what the "Minnesota Strip" was all about in just one block. We quickly headed east to the civility of Broadway before god knows what would have happened to us. That scene haunts me to this day. Today that same block is now a Staples, Jeans Superstore, medical Office and a Starbucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,305,232 times
when i was child, my family and relatives were celebrating in NYC, and on the way back to NJ, my mother needed to use the bathroom, but it was late at night so few places were open

So my father let her out to look for a place, while the rest of us stayed in the car to try and find parking

Well we found parking, but waited around and could not find my mother

Very scary, we thought something had happened to her, and this was in Hell's Kitchen in the early nineties so it was still shady

My father and relatives went looking for her but could not find her for a long time

Finally we realized what had happened, she went into a restaurant that opened late to use the restroom, but the restaurant forgot about her and closed up shop, so she was locked inside the restaurant

Eventually she broke her way out

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,305,232 times
why was it called minnesota strip?

was it cuz lots of those vagrants were from Minn?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
1)When I got jumped on University ave and 183rd (University Heights) in the Bronx.

2)On Kingsbridge road (Kingsbridge Heights)also in the Bronx some of the drug dealers there sorrounded us and started threatening us. We made a run for it as he was digging into his pocket.

3) On 170th street and Washington ave (Morrisania neighborhood) in the Bronx..... I was in the Morris Houses and while we were inside the girl I was with took us downstairs because she had to talk to someone. So me and my friend waited outside while she was at the door talking when all of a sudden we see a group of guys run right through us and go to the apartment to pull out a man and proceed to beat him to a pulp. We were pretty shaken up because we tought we were the intended target.

4) On 180th and Hughes in the East Tremont neighborhood in the Bronx.... I was going into my friends apartment and was greeted by 7 big black dudes who were Crip. They grilled me but let me pass through.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,852,329 times
Quote:
why was it called minnesota strip?
Because many of the prostitutes were runaway girls from places like Minnesota.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 AM

675 posts, read 1,250,826 times
Numerous on-sight shootings on the streets and clubs over the years.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,539,533 times
Minnesota prostitution laws got tougher in the mid 70's so the girls came to NY around that time since NY laws were supposedly less tough.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 AM

33,377 posts, read 46,784,531 times
born in flatbush, live in far rockaway....too many to name lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,962,187 times
I can only think of two at the moment..

I was jumped by about 15 people around my former high school for a godamn $10 CD player.. seriously, I would've just given it to them.
My friend was stabbed with a crobar (yes, this is possible) outside of aforementioned place because of some gang initiation thing. It pierced his lung, but he turned out to be okay after a week or so.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,980,565 times
I am from Mott Haven so I have quite a few. One in particular was during summer recess, I was with a group of about 7 people walking down Castle Hill Avenue (the Bronx in the 1990s) in broad daylight and somehow I got separated from the group (I was daydreaming)..and they were about a block ahead of me.

I was grabbed by 3 big guys (color shall remain undisclosed!) who tried to drag me into a car. I grabbed the lightpole before they could drag me in and they proceeded to try to wrestle my death grip free of the pole while punching me/ripping my clothes. Of course my friends finally heard me screaming, as did everyone else who was walking by, and ran back to get me. The guys quickly jumped in the car and fled after a few moments when my friends were running back for me. Of course, my friends basically slapped me in the head and blamed for the whole thing because "I was not paying attention." We then shook it off and proceeded down our stroll, as if nothing had happened, and it was somehow just a regular thing.

I can only imagine how different my life would be if they had succeeded in getting me into this car. I was only about 14!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City