Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

I'm not the most informed on this in particular but I was under the impression that a lot of the development in the area was being spurred by the new stadium. But perhaps community leaders want the Yankees to do more for people that are already in the area.

The parade thing is sort of a non-issue. The Yankees have to win the world series first for that to happen, and secondly its always going to be in the canyon of heroes. That's the spot for all NYC teams to have their parades. Too much tradition there already. Maybe they can an additional one in the BX along the concourse.

What kinds of things do people want them to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Yes, that's true for the World Series, but I was referring to the parade in the article referenced in the original post, regarding the red carpet parade that was moved to Manhattan this year. I am not in the community, myself, save for when I am at games, but I do recognize the need to do something for the neighborhood, as opposed to exploiting the real estate when it results in a negative impact on the quality of life for an already disadvantaged community. If this plan, including the land grab, had been tried in another neighborhood, say around Van Cortlandt Park, there would have been such an outcry, the project would have been stopped, and elections would have turned the tide in both the city and Albany as a result of the mere attempt.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,548 times
Apparently, local politicians were trying for the past year to schedule at least one All-Star week event for Bronx residents. I understand the red-carpet parade being in Manhattan, but I think they could have done something locally. Believe me, I think the Yankees are very important for the city, and something for us to be proud of, but yeah, I'd like to see them give back a little more. About the shopping mall, it sounds like a plus for the area. I don't really understand why the asthma rates are so high. If it's soley due to motor vehicle traffic, you would think that Manhattan's asthma rates would be through the roof.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM

Actually, Manhattan does have high rates of asthma in East Harlem. It's a combination of bad outdoor air quality, from vehicular traffic, bus garages, lack of trees, etc. and indoor pollutants spread by roaches, exposure to indoor toxins, mold, etc. from things like leaky rooves and substandard housing conditions. It's the marginalization of the people within these neighborhoods that exacerbates stress on the respiratory system, combined with reliance on emergency room treatment, and a lack of follow up care that keeps the rates so high, while far lower rates are measured among higher income populations.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
Apparently, local politicians were trying for the past year to schedule at least one All-Star week event for Bronx residents. I understand the red-carpet parade being in Manhattan, but I think they could have done something locally. Believe me, I think the Yankees are very important for the city, and something for us to be proud of, but yeah, I'd like to see them give back a little more. About the shopping mall, it sounds like a plus for the area. I don't really understand why the asthma rates are so high. If it's soley due to motor vehicle traffic, you would think that Manhattan's asthma rates would be through the roof.
I always assumed it had to do with the industry along the bruckner and hunts point, and the trucks working their way up on the Cross Bronx.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Maybe the Yankees could start a program to subsidize green roofs (rooves for GWAC) in the area. I'm dreaming, I know, but it seems that would help to improve air quality.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM

I agree that it would be fantastic if the Yankees organization spear-headed a campaign to dramatically change the standard of living in the area, renewing neighborhood pride, and at the same time addressing the troubling asthma proliferation in the immediate area. Through relatively simple initiatives to plant trees, line the streets with trees, sponsor garden clubs for public displays in medians, hanging baskets on lamp posts, and working with community education to address this real health danger, that impacts the city in terms of quality of life, lost revenues, increased emergency payouts, and disability payments. With an organization as powerful as the Yankees at the helm, it could make a huge difference to the immediate neighborhood in terms of beautification, and addressing this public health nightmare. It would be great to see something like this, a small step, but a very important one.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Agreed. That would be great.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Agreed..and it's rooves! Loaf =Loaves, Leaf=Leaves, Thief = thieves, Reef = Reeves and Roof = Rooves!

But back to topic...the Yankees need to do more, and that's the bottom line, as do the players. A-Hole and the rest of them should do a lot more for the community, as the bulk of these players are from 3 world countries living in extreme poverty so they know first hand. Shameful indeed.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Agreed..and it's rooves! Loaf =Loaves, Leaf=Leaves, Thief = thieves, Reef = Reeves and Roof = Rooves!

But back to topic...the Yankees need to do more, and that's the bottom line, as do the players. A-Hole and the rest of them should do a lot more for the community, as the bulk of these players are from 3 world countries living in extreme poverty so they know first hand. Shameful indeed.
You're right, posing for pictures with a check on the field before a game or visiting a school is not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City