Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM

343 posts, read 1,024,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I agree that NOT living in Harlem and similar neighborhoods does not make you less NY, but you said "real NYers would not be caught dead living in Harlem, Bed-Stuy, or Bushwick"...so living there apparently makes you less NY or not a REAL NYer. Please explain why, as the NYers that I know who live in these areas are the REAL NYers, not those who shun these communities and label the people who live there as inferior, or "not REAL NYers" as you assert.

I understand there are stops in the boroughs, and I am happy for them. However the people who depend on these modes of transportation are overwhelmingly NOT "real" NYers, but suburban commuters from LI, Westchester and beyond, like yourself.

Clearly, between your comments about who "real NYers" are and aren't, as well as your comment of commuting to Manhattan, only going to the city on weekends for the movies, or arcade, and no other reason demonstrates that you are not a real NYer. You moved to the city from LI or Westchester..but this does not make you a NYer. Sorry TheBoros, but your correct name is theSuburbs.
I see you don't read...

There are tons of people in nyc who use the Railroads and depend on them, because there is no subway in the area. If you read. I said back in the DAY people only went to the city on the weekends to do special things, like the movies and shopping. There wasnt sht to do. Times square was a mess, there werent 10 pradas, 8th ave was crack and drag queen central, etc, etc, etc. Wasn't there a thread on here a month or so ago (about people in the boros who dont go into manhattan, or have never been to manhattan Because they dont need to) That backs up what im saying now?

I assume there is a generational difference between us (im 30). You talk of the 50s and 70s a lot, so I assume you are 60+. That would explain your ignorance to new methods of transportation within your city. And it's okay that you are offended. It explains a lot.

I will modify my comment to say that most real new yorkers wouldnt be caught dead living in certain neighborhoods if they had an OPTION to do so. My mother would never go or move to bed stuy, my grandmother would never move to mott haven.. Both born and bread new yorkers from BROOKLYN!

Now whatcha say?

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-15-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,077,856 times
Real new yorkers dont know every borough inside out, that being said, u can place a real new yorker anywhere in new york and he/she will still know how to get back home even if hes never been there. New york is the subway not this lirr or metronorth business, as real new yorkers hardly even think of those two. I couldnt tell u where any of those two stopped

When reffering to manhattan i say downtown instead of city, it doesnt make sense i already live in the city. City is reserved for people living in the suburbs

Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM

317 posts, read 1,142,659 times
I think some of you are just talking about yourselves, except putting "real New Yorkers" instead of "I".

Because you are a real New Yorker and say "downtown" instead of city, or wouldn't dream of living in Bed-Stuy, or do live in "the hood", or do or don't take the Metro North sometimes, or go to Manhattan all the time or just sometimes... doesn't mean that other real New Yorkers must or must not do those things. We're not all cut from the exact same mold.

I grew up here. I wouldn't really want to live in Bed-Stuy (although I go there occasionally), but the next guy might not mind, or might already live there. I say "the city" referring to Manhattan sometimes (usually when I'm not thinking), sometimes not... I don't see why it matters. I live near a LIRR stop - I don't take it a lot, but I do every once in a while. I know the Metro-North stations in the city and I can name all the Bronx ones, just because I used to take it upstate for a job I had. And so?

If you grew up here, live here, and love New York... you're a New Yorker. Period.

Last edited by Minus; 07-15-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Real new yorkers dont know every borough inside out, that being said, u can place a real new yorker anywhere in new york and he/she will still know how to get back home even if hes never been there.
What? That sounds a little contradictory. Wouldnt a "real" new yorker be characterized as someone who knows NYC inside and out? busses subways. metro north lirr, whatever....

Quote:
New york is the subway not this lirr or metronorth business, as real new yorkers hardly even think of those two. I couldnt tell u where any of those two stopped
Again... You just aren't that savvy and or have no need to take it. Its ok, some of us who live in the bronx like the option of getting to grand central in 12 minutes vs. 40 minutes on the Subway

Quote:
When reffering to manhattan i say downtown instead of city, it doesnt make sense i already live in the city. City is reserved for people living in the suburbs
You don't get out much. People who live uptown say downtown, most people who live in brooklyn and queens and staten island say "city"

Someone in brooklyn would say to a friend "im going downtown, theyre gonna think downtown brooklyn. you say im going to the city, they know to in manhattan somewhere

You people really kill me with your NYker definitions

Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM

I think some of you are just talking about yourselves, except putting "real New Yorkers" instead of "I".

I guess thats what it all comes down to

Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM

278 posts, read 1,185,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
but where does it end..just wait til you can't afford to live there anymore and have to sell your place to a european, or a chinese, or a japanese or middle easterner, because that's who will have to money (their currency) it takes to live there....
You have to understand that as times goes by there is just going to be a bigger divide in NYC with the rich and the poor. It's only going to get worse.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM

278 posts, read 1,185,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
But that's just what you did say! You reduced the entire city to a battle between yuppies and criminals. I happen to be neither, but if I was forced to choose sides, I couldn't say for sure that I'd want to throw in with the yuppies.
That's not what I said but keeping thinking that. You may have perceived what I said to be that but it's not the case.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
What? That sounds a little contradictory. Wouldnt a "real" new yorker be characterized as someone who knows NYC inside and out? busses subways. metro north lirr, whatever....

Again... You just aren't that savvy and or have no need to take it. Its ok, some of us who live in the bronx like the option of getting to grand central in 12 minutes vs. 40 minutes on the Subway

You don't get out much. People who live uptown say downtown, most people who live in brooklyn and queens and staten island say "city" not downtown...

Someone in brooklyn would say to a friend "im going downtown, theyre gonna think downtown brooklyn. you say im going to the city, they know to in manhattan somewhere

You people really kill me with your NYker definitions
U have a point with brooklyn. But everywhere else i've heard says downtown nobody says city. "Its yo im about to head downtown real quick" not "yo im about to go to the city" How u going to the city when u already live in the city. I'll admit its most likely a location thing, so whatever

Point blank New yorkers dont take the metro north, i mean we take the metro north but we dont take the metro north. Only time i took that was when i went to ct. thats it. And u mention grand central like thats the only destination people go too c'mon now lol. If im going downtown its on the 2 or da 6 to the westside(2). Hardly anybody i know lives by a metro north station

Ask anybody thats a native of new york if they know every borough inside out. You sound like a wannabe if anything, some guy that looked at a map and actually studied every single borough to try to pose off as a real new yorker. U know certain areas and neighborhoods in each borough, but not the whole thing inside out

U already showed ya self as a fraud when u stated that real new yorkers dont live in harlem, bed-stuy and bushwick

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
U have a point with brooklyn. But everywhere else i've heard says downtown nobody says city. "Its yo im about to head downtown real quick" not "yo im about to go to the city" How u going to the city when u already live in the city. I'll admit its most likely a location thing, so whatever

Point blank New yorkers dont take the metro north, i mean we take the metro north but we dont take the metro north. Only time i took that was when i went to ct. thats it. And u mention grand central like thats the only destination people go too c'mon now lol. If im going downtown its on the 2 or da 6 to the westside(2). Hardly anybody i know lives by a metro north station

Ask anybody thats a native of new york if they know every borough inside out. You sound like a wannabe if anything, some guy that looked at a map and actually studied every single borough to try to pose off as a real new yorker. U know certain areas and neighborhoods in each borough, but not the whole thing inside out

U already showed ya self as a fraud when u stated that real new yorkers dont live in harlem, bed-stuy and bushwick

My dude, Grand Central IS the only destination for Metro North..

LOL@ me even responding anymore..everything you talking right now I've already disproved. You should get out the BX more often, there's a world outside the bruckner!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM

My dude,u have nothing more to say. Its done you've been exploited. U cant respond cuz ur finished. Ur a fraud. Metro stops at grand central and 125th thats all i know, and care to know cuz at the end of the day nobody takes it except outta towners.

This whole back and forth was for entertainment purposes. NO REAL TRUE NEW YORKER ARGUES OVER BEING A TRUE NEW YORKER. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City