U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 203,511 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be travelling from North Carolina to Hillsdale, NY in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to figure out what the toll costs are from DC to NYC. It has been a long time since I've taken I-95 from DC to NYC (because 95 makes me want to gouge my eyes out).

Anybody have even a rough estimate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:25 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,688,094 times
It depends upon the route you take, since there is a little variance in the tolls. With EZPass the rates are different, but if you're paying cash, I would figure somewhere in the $30 or so range for tolls, since there are tolls you pay northbound that are not paid southbound.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,988,325 times
Default I can estimate...

but I've never heard of Hillsdale NY. there is a Hillsdale NJ in the NYC metro area. Since i don't know where hillsdale NY is I will only advise you up to a certain point

the way i remember it is in I 95:

$3 for the Ft mcHenry Tunnel in Baltimore
$5 for I 95 in Md
$3 for I 95 in Md near the Del line
$ @ 8 for the NJ Tpke
$6 for the GWB in NY

looks about $25 or so

Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,846,930 times
Hillsdale is in Columbia County.

You have a duplicate post in the NJ threads....why?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,834,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but I've never heard of Hillsdale NY. there is a Hillsdale NJ in the NYC metro area. Since i don't know where hillsdale NY is I will only advise you up to a certain point

the way i remember it is in I 95:

$3 for the Ft mcHenry Tunnel in Baltimore
$5 for I 95 in Md
$3 for I 95 in Md near the Del line
$ @ 8 for the NJ Tpke
$6 for the GWB in NY

looks about $25 or so
I think $8 is a bit too high for the NJ Tpke. I think it's now $2 each way for the Baltimore tunnels, and $4 at the MD/DE line. The Del. Bridge is only going south.

I would avoid the GWB (which is now $8) and take Exit 11 off the NJ Tpke for the Garden State Pkwy North. There are also tolls scattered on this one (75 cents or so every county line in North Jersey?). Take it to the end, and you can either take 87 South/287 East over the Tappan Zee Bridge ($4.50) and take the Taconic Pkwy North to Rt. 23. Or you take 87 North to 84 East and then the Taconic Pkwy North to Rt. 23, but I think that's a bit out of the way. No need to go through the city, though.

(I think it is Hillside, NJ)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,688,094 times
Another tip is that you can reduce your toll on the NJ Turnpike by taking I-295. You would get on 295 in South Jersey and continue towards Trenton, exit onto I-195, and then get back on the Turnpike northbound. This is also handy to have as an alternate route, since there are times when you are stuck in traffic on the Turnpike and can see flowing traffic on 295 which runs parallel. It's a route that the shunpikers I know follow religiously, and I have used it as well, but usually when there's construction on the Turnpike.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:14 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,834,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Another tip is that you can reduce your toll on the NJ Turnpike by taking I-295. You would get on 295 in South Jersey and continue towards Trenton, exit onto I-195, and then get back on the Turnpike northbound. This is also handy to have as an alternate route, since there are times when you are stuck in traffic on the Turnpike and can see flowing traffic on 295 which runs parallel. It's a route that the shunpikers I know follow religiously, and I have used it as well, but usually when there's construction on the Turnpike.
I have taken 295 many, many times. It generally does flow when the NJT doesn't, and it's fun to see the traffic stalled while you are moving along in those areas in south Jersey where they are literally 100 yards from each other.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Hillsdale is in Columbia County.

You have a duplicate post in the NJ threads....why?
Because I figured one of the biggest toll areas on my route was going to be in NJ.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the estimates!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,471,797 times
I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I have not seen any NE toll roads since the 1970's, when my family drove through while on vacation.

Do they still have those change baskets where you just drive up, toss in some change, and go on your way relatively quickly? If so, do they take the dollar coins? I know tolls cost much more these days, thanks to inflation.

Do most tolls take credit cards, for those who don't have the electronic passes?

At the time, I thought toll roads were neat and strange. My dad would let us kids throw the coins in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City