Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times

Advertisements

listen old timer (no offense)

You only live once, and since you are middle aged, your time is running out

JUST DO IT

You run a SUCCESSFUL business so you are smart, I am sure you will do fine

Instead of starting your own business, have you thought about getting a consulting job under another company first

I am pretty sure you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who can get you in the door

If you do this, you will be an inspiration to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM

21 posts, read 89,759 times
I think it would depend partially on what kind business you have and what you plan on doing.

Also, you might want to try LinkedIn.com - they have very active message boards also, maybe you could find people in your industry or who have made a move like this. And definitely try to make contacts, I think that would be helpful for any move. Perhaps your friend in LA has contacts? Or your business adviser or accountant would perhaps have contacts in NYC that could help you more specifically in regards to your industry.

Can your consulting company not take jobs in the US? I mean, if you're planning on starting the same kind of business you already own, could you not build up clients with your current company? And would you really have to start all over or could you create a NYC office type thing? I have no idea if that's at all feasible for you/your business/across the border, but it seems to make sense.

Personally, I would say go for it, just because it seems like fun and if it's something you'd really regret not doing, then do it. I guess the question is what you value more - stability or following a dream?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 AM

46 posts, read 175,237 times
I have clients in Western Canada and Hong Kong, and the potential should be there in New York as well, at least in theory. That said, I've been sniffing around NY, and I'm pretty sure I can repeat my performance.

Yes, I can do consulting work in New York, and there's a company in Miami that's interested in my client base, so I can start off that way. I've been thinking of that, actually, so I can get used to the local conditions.

Any ideas about hopping back and forth? I know lots of Asians who do that, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea, because some fall between two stools. That said, some do it quite well.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 AM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
Hello NYF,
Well finally someone in almost same delema as I am. Except I don't have as much too lose as you, ie; a buisness.
Listen, you only live once and you only regret the things that you don't do in life. If you really really want to go, then go my friend.
The jumping back and forth might be cool at first but I think you will tire of it. Keep your buisness runnning with relatives or close friends while you go check out NY for awhile. You'll better know the the situation if you are there in person. If you packed up and went and it did'nt work out. What have you lost? Money.... Money isnt everything. You can replace it. But once your at the end of your life you cant replace or redo a dream. If NY is where you really want to be you will want to be there with or without a business. Period. Any time someone opens a business or reopens one some where else it is a gamble. How ever it works out it was suppose to be that way. It was in the cards.
I am a native californian. And I want to be a resident of Oregon so bad I can taste it. But I am affraid because I know no one there and have never been out of cali and have had the same job here for 12 years. But, I have to go. It is my dream!!!
Good luck. Let's us know!!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The jumping back and forth might be cool at first but I think you will tire of it.
I agree, but this is to bring in cash from my current business, while I build up my NY business. I've already checked out NY, and it looks good, very good. Fact of the matter is, there's always work, if you're willing to go get it, and if you're willing to learn new skills.

The rational thing is to wait a couple of years, until a certain condition is met, to cut a long story short, but I keep hearing my accountant, who told me to go sooner rather than later.

Quote:
If you packed up and went and it did'nt work out. What have you lost? Money.... Money isnt everything. You can replace it.
True. But money is important. I have worked very hard, and I don't want to lose what I've saved, which isn't all that much, but still quite a bit. That said, I can replace it, because I can always come back and rebuild my business. As my (former) seniors have told me, ever since I started, there will always be work for those who are good - it's the trash that can't find work.

That's why I'm thinking of hip-hopping. It will be slow for a couple of years, and it will take time to wind down what I have. So this will just be temporary, until I build my NY business. I think I may be able to do it in a year, but two years is the rule of thumb. I'll be hooking up with some locals, who will show me the ropes, and then, once I'm on my feet, we'll see how it goes. What do you think?

Quote:
I want to be a resident of Oregon so bad I can taste it.
I know how you feel. I really do.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Default jump

Grab your guts & jump in.

Obviously something isn't working for you.

You still have family that is going to help support you if things don't work & you don't have kids that you need to support.

I'd try going back & forth...if things go sour, you won't be lost. Plus...I don't know much about consulting, but my few friends who do can work from anywhere most of the time. So, how does this hurt you.

Why do you need a chat forum to help you on this?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
NYF,
I think that is a great idea!. If you give yourself time to plan this out logically and incorporate some help from family/friends. Also get all the contacts in NY that you can. I think you will do fine. You seem like a intelligent person.
You didn't mention weather you have family to tote around in this journey.. Wife/kids....
You are encouraging me without even knowing it to make my big move also. Please keep me/us informed of your status. Good luck!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM

I've made up my mind - I'm going to do it!

As of now, I've begun making the queries for my people in NYC, and I've also begun asking around my local city as to who would like to watch my company while I'm gone - I've got some queries, and I'm very confident I can keep and maybe even expand what I have.

As for NY, I have to be careful who I deal with, because I know some as friends, but I don't know if they're good or bad or whatever. But I got time - I have a few big projects that have to be finished, and, after they're done, I can begin making the move. That would be about four or five months.

You know, I said in this thread that maybe I should wait a year and a half, but, after listening to all of you, I'll do it in a few months. I'll be going over in August anyway. And I'm now feeling very good. Maybe that's why I posted here - so others can tell me what I already know, deep in my heart.

Thank you so much, all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City