U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 25,630 times

Advertisements

thanks cyrusjul! Great information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM

12,348 posts, read 23,541,345 times
Some other people have recommended the site Insideschools.org - New York City public school guide, reviews, statistics, and forums for info on the public schools, which I would imagine will be your number one concern.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM

172 posts, read 441,735 times
Good luck in your search. How much time do you have to decide? And seriously, have you not actually set foot in NYC yet, or outside of the Show-Me State???

Just trying to figure out what you might expect. I'm from NYC but spent 4 years at Mizzou and have had a look around small-town Missouri some, including Hannibal, which I thought was kinda charming. Also read an interesting book about it, with a title that captured the atmosphere there, "White Town Drowsing." The expression was taken from Twain, right?

All this preamble is just to warn you a little ... that NYC apartments are nuthin like you see on "Friends" or even "Seinfeld"! It's truly unbelievable the kind of crap you'll see that'll be labeled a "3-bedroom." And unfortunately, there are no little old ladies who'll give you a nice deal anymore! If you wanted a decent-sized 3-bed in Manhattan, in a good school district (that pretty much means either East Side or Village, Chelsea, Tribeca, Battery Park) ... I doubt you'd find anything that wasn't a student slum for less than 5K a month. In Brooklyn, it'll be over 3K ... that's why WE had to vacate with OUR 3 kids, to Queens, where you can still find something livable in a decent nabe for between 2.5 & 3K. And I second the recommendation to scour insideschools.org, a great site.

FWIW, we're in Forest Hills after leaving Carroll Gardens, (and before that, W. 57th St. in Manhattan) ... still no need for a car, but you can at least park it if you've got one. And LIRR is 15 mins to Manhattan, and subway's about 25-30 mins. If that sounds like a distance, remember everything takes 30 mins, like getting halfway across Manhattan on a bus, even!

Here's hoping it works out for you.

Last edited by keith talent; 07-15-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM

634 posts, read 2,772,976 times
Good luck on your move!

I can't give any information as I'm not from NY, however I would like to follow your route someday.

I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I want to work towards being a New Yorker someday and be apart of the most incredible city in the US and arguably the world!

I just love the public transportation culture. I HATE OUR CAR CULTURE!
Just being able to walk all over the city, explore different areas, go window shopping etc.

Strip malls are beyond boring and bland and can you really walk around a suburban town?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,132,005 times
I can imagine that you're excited to live in the heart of the city, Manhattan, and that's a great thing to do, especially if you are doing so for a year or thereabouts before you find a new home. Around $4000 or a little more, you should be able to find a two bedroom apartment in a decent Manhattan neighborhood, although it probably will be in the neighborhood of 1000 square feet. The schools will be a factor, though, so you should try to find a neighborhood by the best school possible. There are neighborhoods throughout Manhattan that would be worth checking into, but as a general rule, I would stay out of a transitional neighborhood and any school district that overlaps into a transitional area.

It's a wise idea to leave the cars in storage, initially, since you can rent one as you need it with a Zipcar membership, for example, and you don't have to pay high insurance and garage fees. I have one myself, and I like it for the ability to rent multiple vehicles, to supplement my own vehicles, since it sometimes is handy to have access to a minivan or truck around town. You sound quite realistic as to what to expect in terms of a small Manhattan apartment, and it can be a great adventure for the year or so that you live in the city. And, you may never leave, settling in an outer borough if you don't want to go the suburban route.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,923,177 times
$4000 will not get a nice 2BR apartment in Manhattan with decent schools. Maybe in not such great areas, but not for a family with kids in Manhattan. Even nice 1 BRs can EASILY be $4000....and that's not even considering schools.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,881,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
$4000 will not get a nice 2BR apartment in Manhattan with decent schools. Maybe in not such great areas, but not for a family with kids in Manhattan. Even nice 1 BRs can EASILY be $4000....and that's not even considering schools.
How are the schools in the Murray Hill / Kips Bay area? I ask because I have seen nice 1000 square foot 2 bedrooms for under $4000 there and it's a nice neighborhood. Also, it's pretty EASY to get a 2 bedroom / 1.5 bathroom apartment in the Upper East Side for that price. I imagine the schools must be good there too.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

402 posts, read 1,290,449 times
Don't send your kids to public schools in the city. Dear god don't do it. Live out on long island or some place up in westchester county. Even the good schools in the city are only good by nyc standards. By any decent human standards they are going to suck. Your husband can take the train into work and the kids can go to school in some nice place where the grad rate is over 40%, unlike the city..

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,923,177 times
The schools in that area aren't the greatest. And while there are a number of elementary schools in Manhattan that are decent, I don't know that there are many acceptable MIDDLE SCHOOLS. That's where everyone runs into problems.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM

295 posts, read 1,412,954 times
Default manhattan rentals

Go to a real estate agent. Sounds like you really need to see what's available.

Last year, my co-worker needed a SMALL 2 bedroom for him & wife & new baby. They couldn't find a thing in the city. They ended up in Brooklyn, the 1st stop from NYC for an apt of 4500 a month. Another set of our friends got a 1 bedroom for just under 4. I'm sure there is a small 5th floor walk-up uptown somewhere...if you are lucky.

School districts are a whole other ball game. You may have to budget in private schools depending on where you live and what you want (the public school system is not that bad...I made it out alive and well, but that was in one of the best school districts and I know quite a few drop-outs in my own district). Also, in Manhattan, your kid may not be able to GET into a private school. There are interviews for pre-K private schools. Many run in excess of 20K per kid.

Brooklyn & Queens are really not suburbs as you are imagining them. You can easily not have a car as the buses and trains run very well (and in places like Forest hills and parts of Brooklyn parking may actually be a problem).

Keep an open mind & do a couple of trips over here before you make up your mind.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City