U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 1,038,909 times
Reputation: 92

Advertisements

I just say get rid of your cars and live in Queens or Brooklyn. It's very liberating to not even bother with a car out here. Plus the vast majority of the time you will never need to use it, nor miss it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 AM
 
122 posts, read 759,559 times
Reputation: 77
Default wrong wrong wrong

OK, I went to public school. Frankly, I am kind of alarmed and offended that no one's defended it yet. Unless I am mistaken and read wrong, in which case, my apologies to anyone who did. But...

I know many, MANY kids who had public school educations and ended up going to Ivy League or non-Ivy League but still reputable schools (NYU, Georgetown, SUNY Stonybook/Binghamton/Geneseo, Howard, Duke). The high school I went to--a public high school that was NOT Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, or Brooklyn Tech--was still filled with overachievers who won national awards and hefty college scholarships (which was kind of annoying and dwarfing, but still, I have a public school system to defend).

On the flip side, I know many people from both the Long Island and Westchester suburbs who were total slackers and didn't go to college or if they did, did not seem to get the best educations. I have never met anyone from the suburbs and thought, Wow, they seem so much more educated.

The way it works here is yes, you find/move to a neighborhood with a good elementary school, but then after that it's up to you to do the work/research to get your kid in a quality middle school or high school. Yes, it may be unfair and weird, but in a way it's nice to be able to take more control and have a say in your education. That's pretty much why Insideschools.org exists. Because it's a fact that a large number of NYC students apply to schools beyond the elementary level and end up commuting like their parents (often a shorter distance and within their general region of the borough). During elementary school, many kids apply to middle school (including places that require some kind of test, portfolio, or audition). And during middle school, they will do the same to get into high school. In my opinion, it it great preparation for the college admissions process.

So, people, please do not knock NYC public schools. There are many wonderful schools, big and small, all over the place. And don't try to insinuate that moving to the suburbs or spending tens of thousands of dollars on private school are the only proper ways for the OP to go about dealing with her children's education. That is just wrong.

Last edited by woofenstein; 08-24-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 1,038,909 times
Reputation: 92
If I have kids here, they are going to public school. Yeah, NYC public school can be a bit rougher in some areas, but it seriously can't be that bad. I've seen the children coming out of the schools here in Corona and Jackson Heights..even Middle Village. It just depends on the neighborhood I suppose.

I'm not from here though..I didn't realize that you pick out your schools. In San Diego..if you live in a nice neighborhood...you got to the school that you are zoned to...if you live an inch over the zone (in another neighborhood)..you go to that school. So generally if you live in a nice neighborhood..your school is pretty nice too.
Then again I was in Poway Unified School District...which is supposed to be one of the top Districts in the nation..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Queens
467 posts, read 1,580,651 times
Reputation: 96
I'm going to send my kids to public school here. Elementary schools, like people said, aren't that bad. Yes, middle school can be crazy, but it can be crazy even in the best of districts. I'm a teacher in Jackson Heights..the kids aren't bad. They are normal middle school kids; it's a crazy age. The school system fails many of them, but if you have the support at home, it is usually not bad. There are still good middle schools out there, and good high schools that aren't the top schools: Forest Hills HS, Bayside HS, Townsend Harris HS, Cardozo HS, Aviation HS is pretty good, and Thomas Edison..and many others. I just listed schools in Queens.
I'm a NYC teacher; I'm not going to deny the problems that NYCDOE has...but if you pick a good school, are involved in your children's education it won't be bad.

And maybe if people stopped fearing the public schools here and stopped sending their kids to private school, and instead tried to work on improving the public schools it might help. Just a thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 1,038,909 times
Reputation: 92
THeir parents fail them. Most of the bad kids in public schools have morons for parents. PLain and simple. BTW jax78...crazy! You teach in JH? My bf's sister is in middle school now. I forget the name of the school but I believe it's somewhere between 75th and 82nd...on 34th...ehhh I'm not too sure.
Yeah, what's up with everyone wanting to send their kids to private school? I can understand their concerns but if you are anything like my mom..your kid goes to school 6-7 hours of the day and is to report home within 20 minutes..
My mom bought a tracfone too that I was expected to turn on the MOMENT school got out. She timed EXACTLY how long it took to walk home from school and told me that if we weren't home within that time we were going to be punished for it. And we were lol. If we didn't pick up our phones when she checked in on us..we were getting a whooping too.
It's simple stuff like this I don't get. All these idiot kids have those sidekick things etc...as if they need them, yet their parents can't keep tabs on them?..and they're paying for the bill?

Here's my plan, if it isn't too off topic. My kid is going to public school..I'm going to check in on them with their teachers every chance that I get..much to their embarassment I will also volunteer to chaperone dances etc. (when I'm not working)..and they are getting one of those cell phones that only has 4 buttons (one for emergencies..and the other ones can connect you to mom or dad)..and if they don't report home within a certain amount of time..I'm whooping their ass.

Why pay 20-30k a year to deal with the same BS in private school? It doesn't guarantee college admission either so please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Queens
467 posts, read 1,580,651 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
THeir parents fail them. Most of the bad kids in public schools have morons for parents. PLain and simple.
That isn't true Page. Yes, some parents might, but I have met many, many caring, hardworking families. It's just not true to blame the parents..at least not 100%. NYCDOE is messed up! That is why teacher turnover rate is so high...Teachers are always leaving schools. Administrators and the people high up only care about appearance, what looks good. For example, they care more about how the room looks than if a student is learning. All they care about is testing, testing, testing. Also, we don't have the same supplies and resources as wealthier school districts. We don't have after school sports in many schools..or after school activities. It's sad and it's not right.

Also, they just want to pass students. NCLB really leaves kids behind. When you are passing kids who are reading at a 2nd grade level in 5th grade, that is not the parents fault...it's the school!!! This is what the school system does to many kids. It keeps passing them along when they aren't learning and understanding. THE SYSTEM FAILS MANY KIDS!!! Yes, parents are vital in a child's education, but as a teacher I can't say it's all the parents fault. In some cases, but not all...

Also you have to factor in poverty, homelessness, gangs, abuse, etc. It's complex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Queens
467 posts, read 1,580,651 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Yeah, what's up with everyone wanting to send their kids to private school? I can understand their concerns but if you are anything like my mom..your kid goes to school 6-7 hours of the day and is to report home within 20 minutes..
My mom bought a tracfone too that I was expected to turn on the MOMENT school got out. She timed EXACTLY how long it took to walk home from school and told me that if we weren't home within that time we were going to be punished for it. And we were lol. If we didn't pick up our phones when she checked in on us..we were getting a whooping too.
It's simple stuff like this I don't get. All these idiot kids have those sidekick things etc...as if they need them, yet their parents can't keep tabs on them?..and they're paying for the bill?

Here's my plan, if it isn't too off topic. My kid is going to public school..I'm going to check in on them with their teachers every chance that I get..much to their embarassment I will also volunteer to chaperone dances etc. (when I'm not working)..and they are getting one of those cell phones that only has 4 buttons (one for emergencies..and the other ones can connect you to mom or dad)..and if they don't report home within a certain amount of time..I'm whooping their ass.

Why pay 20-30k a year to deal with the same BS in private school? It doesn't guarantee college admission either so please.
LOL I like your way of thinking. :-)
I'd be similar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 1,038,909 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
That isn't true Page. Yes, some parents might, but I have met many, many caring, hardworking families. It's just not true to blame the parents..at least not 100%. NYCDOE is messed up! That is why teacher turnover rate is so high...Teachers are always leaving schools. Administrators and the people high up only care about appearance, what looks good. For example, they care more about how the room looks than if a student is learning. All they care about is testing, testing, testing. Also, we don't have the same supplies and resources as wealthier school districts. We don't have after school sports in many schools..or after school activities. It's sad and it's not right.

Also, they just want to pass students. NCLB really leaves kids behind. When you are passing kids who are reading at a 2nd grade level in 5th grade, that is not the parents fault...it's the school!!! This is what the school system does to many kids. It keeps passing them along when they aren't learning and understanding. THE SYSTEM FAILS MANY KIDS!!! Yes, parents are vital in a child's education, but as a teacher I can't say it's all the parents fault. In some cases, but not all...

Also you have to factor in poverty, homelessness, gangs, abuse, etc. It's complex.

I do realize that a lot of good parents have kids that get into bad things. But I think teachers have it hard enough. They cannot be expected to raise a child and instill morals in them. And for some of the good teachers who would be willing to do that...they are probably afraid of lawsuits etc. Lord fordbid you discipline a child the wrong way..their parents are right up there in your face. The kid gets Fs all year long...they may not even care to call in about it. It's kind of twisted but I can totally see where you're coming from and it doesn't surprise me that the system is so corrupt. As a newbie to NY I'm finding that many things in this city as a whole are profoundly corrupt. Pretty sad.
I'm sure you have gotten a taste of this firsthand as you work directly within the school system. Thanks for the insight because I never thought of it that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 1,038,909 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
LOL I like your way of thinking. :-)
I'd be similar.
Thanks. Ditto .
I guess my previous post was looking at things from a disciplinarian view...you have great educational views as well. I was focusing on the misbehavior lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
 
122 posts, read 759,559 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothymichelle View Post
Well if the elementary schools are ok then Im good, because they are only in K, 2nd and 3rd. And Im only hoping for one year in Manhattan, after that mabey Queens or one of those other not so far places other people have mentioned. Mabey I can sell one of my houses here and use that money to help with the year of rent there? But Im def. keeping the main house in case I have to run home! But I have a feeling I'll probably never leave once Im there.

So im guessing the tests are for IQ?
I'm not sure what an ERB test is, but when applying to public schools, I believe most middle and high schools just request grades and standardized test scores. Then there can be additional tests, some that seem like IQ tests and some like SATs for younger kids. Also, there are arts-based schools where you show up and audition in writing, music, dance, acting(?), etc. Some kind of focus or interest is good, because schools often have programs that emphasize certain subjects over others (arts, humanities, math, science). Good elementary standardized test scores are key. Since you asked about logistics.

And that whole issue above is indeed complicated. A lot of parents could take more responsibility, but adequate funding is crucial. LOL, that 4-button phone sounds like an excellent idea, and I don't even have kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top