Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:28 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow View Post
Pretty funny that most NY'ers hate "transplants" for not assimilating to NY way of life / attitude, but then the OP wants to know where they should move and make sure that they don't have to adapt to their new home. But to answer the topic, like anywhere, just don't be a jerk and really you can live anywhere you want.
Bingo. Ex-New Yorkers have a bad rep for this very reason. Loud, obnoxious, overly aggressive is the sad stereotype for NYCers -- I don't think it's justified however even I have to admit that my Boston friends roll their eyes when I talk about good pizza.

My recommendation is to either choose a new location wisely and adapt or plan frequent trips to NYC to get your "fix" of everything that the City offer. I'm on the Acela corridor so coming down to NYC for weekend is no big deal, however for those who want to move farther away, then just budget for those NYC trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 03:53 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Pretty funny that most NY'ers hate "transplants" for not assimilating to NY way of life / attitude, but then the OP wants to know where they should move and make sure that they don't have to adapt to their new home. But to answer the topic, like anywhere, just don't be a jerk and really you can live anywhere you want.
No idea how you got that impression. Almost everyone I know, both friends and colleagues, are from someone else. We don't "hate" transplants. New Yorkers understand that transplants are the life-blood of NYC, bringing their energy and optimism.

We hate tourists - the ones who clog up the sidewalk with their meandering. But that's entirely different.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No idea how you got that impression. Almost everyone I know, both friends and colleagues, are from someone else. We don't "hate" transplants. New Yorkers understand that transplants are the life-blood of NYC, bringing their energy and optimism.

We hate tourists - the ones who clog up the sidewalk with their meandering. But that's entirely different.
SJWs hate transplants

Old 02-04-2020, 08:00 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I like DE with less snow more than I like snowier PA. PA also has a bad inheritance tax.

About seven years ago, we lost power for a week during a bad snowstorm. Literally, the next week, an elderly couple across the street decided to move to Philadelphia. It's still in the Northeast but less snowy. In a couple of weeks, we are having dinner with two 60 year old couples from our area who moved to Philadelphia, I'm interesting in hearing what they have to say.

DE is a great retirement idea! Thank you for pointing that out! Why did I not think of that earlier??? Maybe because DE is a rare piece of the US that I actually don't know well. I was at a professional/educational conference in Wilmington for a few days sometime in Jan, Feb 1988, and that was my only visit ever to DE, but it is totally something to consider. It takes a little over 2 hours from Wilmington to Manhattan by bus, and real estate prices and property taxes are a small fraction of NYC (although DE income taxes are high, but that won't be a concern when I retire, plus my primary home where I'll pay income taxes will be in CA anyway). Hmmm, DE really looks like a good place to store my stuff while I'm traveling . Another rare informative moment on this forum!

Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Nice posts. No right or wrong answer.
As a retiree please always consider as you are aging ,maintaining your independence for as long as possible.
Moving to an area that supports local transit is by far my most important prerequisite. I will not consider any destination
lacking there of. As my ability to drive will one day expire I can continue on with local bus transit as an extension of my independence.
I will still be able to access nearby amenities such as shopping ,banking, postal services doctors and even stop in for a beer at the local pub.
If the time comes I become home bound it won't be because of the extreme heat or cold. It will be because my body and mind have failed me.
So as a priority I suggest all interested in picking up and leaving New York for your retirement destination to seriously consider the availability
of local transit as location priority alongside the wonderful enjoyment of all 4 seasons. Everything else will fall into place.

I have researched PA and have visited Scranton,Harrisburg.
I have researched DE and have visited Willmington, and Newark.
Transit systems, decent population,4 seasons, retiree friendly,and plenty of amenities.
Best wishes to all.

Mr Retired, thank you as well for bringing up DE. Forget about Scranton and even more forget about Harrisburg, these are depressed, high crime cities that do not even have the historical global significance of NYC to potentially justify putting up with bad aspects of the place. Scranton and Harrisburg have nothing going except crystal meth and general nightmare.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I like DE with less snow more than I like snowier PA. PA also has a bad inheritance tax.

About seven years ago, we lost power for a week during a bad snowstorm. Literally, the next week, an elderly couple across the street decided to move to Philadelphia. It's still in the Northeast but less snowy. In a couple of weeks, we are having dinner with two 60 year old couples from our area who moved to Philadelphia, I'm interesting in hearing what they have to say.

Expanding on the idea of Delaware as a cheaper/safer alternative not far from NYC... Newsweek article from 2014 states that Wilmington has the 3rd highest number of murders among the similarly-sized cities in the US, while a different website includes Wilmington in 100 best places to live in the US in 2019... what happened to the crime, did it all move elsewhere in the past 5 years?? Maybe I should inquire on Delaware forum?

Old 02-04-2020, 02:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Anywhere, USA won't work as the retiree must show up w/o the NY accent. The only place one can go would be the southeast of Florida. Somewhere within driving distance of Ft Lauderdale.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Bingo. Ex-New Yorkers have a bad rep for this very reason. Loud, obnoxious, overly aggressive is the sad stereotype for NYCers -- I don't think it's justified however even I have to admit that my Boston friends roll their eyes when I talk about good pizza.

My recommendation is to either choose a new location wisely and adapt or plan frequent trips to NYC to get your "fix" of everything that the City offer. I'm on the Acela corridor so coming down to NYC for weekend is no big deal, however for those who want to move farther away, then just budget for those NYC trips.
Opinion:
While visiting Virginia I was surprised to find a pizzeria which had killer slices to die for. Spoke to the owner who told me he travels every week to New York to pick up all the ingredients from dough to cheese to New York tomatoes. Guess it's true when they say "It's all in the water ".

Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Expanding on the idea of Delaware as a cheaper/safer alternative not far from NYC... Newsweek article from 2014 states that Wilmington has the 3rd highest number of murders among the similarly-sized cities in the US, while a different website includes Wilmington in 100 best places to live in the US in 2019... what happened to the crime, did it all move elsewhere in the past 5 years?? Maybe I should inquire on Delaware forum?
Opinion: Most crime in DE is contained within Wilmington. Step outside that corridor into New Castle,Newark, or further South such as Seaford or coastal areas and you are in paradise. If you like the country....go even further south to more rural areas.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
SJWs hate transplants
I thought a great deal of SJW's ...are transplants! All the ones I know are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City