Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,671 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for as muh help as possible I've read through a couple of threads and will try and give as much info as I can.

I've been seriously thinking about moving to New York for the last few months, but just seem to be going round in circles!

I'll be reocating from England, so understand I'll need to have a working-visa for any part of this to become reality.

I have an adminstration working background, however I dont know anything about your job-market and how it works etc. I have done agency work before, but if anyone can point me in the direction of any websites (or share any personal experience) that would be a great starting point. I'd be looking to get a job with around a $35,000 salary - is this realitic and easy to come by, should I aim higher, or am I just living in a dream world?! (its ok, be as brutal as you like!). I am working on the premise that I'll be moving over on my own; my boyfriend isn't overly keen on the idea of moving, but this is something I've always wanted to do.

Apartments; How does your rental market work? Can someone explain the differece between a condo and a co-op? What does no-fee really mean? Does the rental figure usually include or exclude bills? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get a good base knowledge before I come over and try and find an apartment.

Then there would be the obvious question; where am I going to be able to afford to rent on my $35,000 salary? As I'm moving on my own, I wouldn't rule out sharing.

I dont think I can think of anything else. If you got this far, thank you, and if you can offer any advice, then thank you again.

Lou-LOu

(A confused English-girl!)

xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
On that salary, you'll HAVE to have a roommate or roommates. Check out some temporary agencies. Have you thought about waiting tables or bartending? That is typically good money and can afford a flexible schedule to be free during the day.

As for neighborhoods--Brooklyn/Queens are your best bet--but it all depends on rent you can afford.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:07 PM

40 posts, read 187,770 times
Just curious, how are you planning on getting visa sponsorship?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
Just curious, how are you planning on getting visa sponsorship?

Erm... haven't thought that far ahead yet. Sorry, all those questions, and I seem to have stubled at the first hurdle.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
On that salary, you'll HAVE to have a roommate or roommates. Check out some temporary agencies. Have you thought about waiting tables or bartending? That is typically good money and can afford a flexible schedule to be free during the day.

As for neighborhoods--Brooklyn/Queens are your best bet--but it all depends on rent you can afford.
I waited tables through college, so this would definately be an option

Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou-LOu View Post
Erm... haven't thought that far ahead yet. Sorry, all those questions, and I seem to have stubled at the first hurdle.

You may well have... Check this out and come back with any questions:

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City