Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times

Advertisements

Zip codes 10031 and a large part of 10030 make up Hamilton Heights section of Harlem. 10030 has mostly black residents mostly American but some are foreign born from the Carribean and Africa. It has about an 75% black population. Latin population about 20%.

10031 has mostly latin residents, mostly Dominican, some Puerto Ricans, but other places are represented as well like Ecuador, Mexico and Cuba. latin population about 60%, Black population about 35%. Some blacks are foreign born as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,696 times
Default tourist in the city

i am about to visit nyc and i have always been interested in the movies that show all the gang violence and poverty and drugs that happen in nyc what are my chances of seeing this while i visit

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua11808 View Post
i am about to visit nyc and i have always been interested in the movies that show all the gang violence and poverty and drugs that happen in nyc what are my chances of seeing this while i visit
Do you WANT to see violence and poverty? Or are you worried that you'll find yourself in a part of town where it exists? I don't understand why people would deliberately seek out ghettos and want to visit them for their "entertainment value." (And this happens in other large cities, like Los Angeles, not just NYC.)

Remember that real people LIVE in those neighborhoods; that's where their homes and families are. Would you want strangers wandering through YOUR neighborhood, gawking at YOUR home, making comments about where YOU live?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua11808 View Post
Don't believe the movies! Seriously, however, you can find yourself in over your head very easily in some notorious neighborhoods, even in these days of relatively safe streets in NYC. It's just something to think about, since you might bite off more than you can handle by deliberately seeking areas that have higher proportions of crime.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
I live in washington heights and I don't think it's dangerous at all! I can see how someone might not feel safe but thats because there are a lot of people hanging out on corners! There are some drug dealers but not nearly what an outsider would think! Thats just the way people around here are! They set up tables in the summer on corners and play dominos and checkers at all hours day or night! SUPERMARIO didn't you post 2007 crime stats and were surprised that Washington Heights crime rate was on par with upper west side and the Village? It has a ghetto look up here but people are wonderful! Atleast thats the way I feel!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I live in washington heights and I don't think it's dangerous at all! I can see how someone might not feel safe but thats because there are a lot of people hanging out on corners! There are some drug dealers but not nearly what an outsider would think! Thats just the way people around here are! They set up tables in the summer on corners and play dominos and checkers at all hours day or night! SUPERMARIO didn't you post 2007 crime stats and were surprised that Washington Heights crime rate was on par with upper west side and the Village? It has a ghetto look up here but people are wonderful! Atleast thats the way I feel!
That's what I'm saying. Loud, yes. Ghetto, yes. But dangerous, no not really.

People are very passionate about the neighborhood too. If your from there, the people you grew up with, old neighbors, really look out for you. Sometimes to the detriment of the neighborhood though, some people are just irreversibly bad and should not be looked out after.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 AM

133 posts, read 466,340 times
When looking at income make sure it is per capita and not median houshold. Median household is the most deceptive way to look at income, expecialy in a city like NY w/ lots of single people.

Also, anyone know why neighborhoods like Inwood are so heavily Dominican? It is actually a decent location with 2 subwau lines and access to the Metro North. West of B'way is nice while the other side is almost exclusively Dominican. Does it have to do with rent controls or something?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
When looking at income make sure it is per capita and not median houshold. Median household is the most deceptive way to look at income, expecialy in a city like NY w/ lots of single people.

Also, anyone know why neighborhoods like Inwood are so heavily Dominican? It is actually a decent location with 2 subwau lines and access to the Metro North. West of B'way is nice while the other side is almost exclusively Dominican. Does it have to do with rent controls or something?
After White Flight in the 60-70's, there was a period of mass Dominican immigration which looking back on it now probably peaked around 92-93. So it became and is an ethnic enclave for Dominicans.

This happened throughout the city, Whites left, and other groups filled in the void. A lot of White people, mostly Italians and Irish, wanted to get away from the city and move to the burbs.

But maybe I'm reading too much into your post, but I sensed some veiled resentment towards Dominicans. Do you have something against Dominicans?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-13-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post

Sounds like you would make a good Commissioner of Gentrification,jawny!You seem to have the ability to spot the convenient and potentially good neighborhoods that are unfortunately occupied by lower income people.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,011 times
Are there any areas of the lower east side that should be avoided? I'm coming out to visit in May, and have been in this area a few times. Never really felt unsafe. I honestly didn't know until now it was even considered a little shady.

Oh yeah, I Love N.Y. Its the greatest city on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City