U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM

181 posts, read 825,598 times

Advertisements

Obviously, there are many, many people who own large dogs and live in an apartment in NYC. I'm moving there next month, and will probably move into something that's about 700 sq. ft. I have a 3 1/2 year-old lab that is very well-behaved and loves to play. I'm wrestling with the decision right now on whether to take him with me. I can't imagine NOT having him there, as I've raised him and love him dearly. However, I'll most likely be working 50-60 hours a week, so I'll be away a lot. I'm definitely planning on getting a dog-walker and/or doggie day-care to help ease this issue, but that can be expensive it seems. Do any of you out there, who have experience with this, have any thoughts or recommendations on what kind of walking/day care combination would be good for him that won't break the bank? I'll be most likely moving into one of the Avalon Propertites in Long Island City, if that helps location-wise in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

NOTE: If I don't take him, I'll leave him at my grandmother's, where he has 10 acres of land to rome (no fence, but he does pretty well staying around and not wondering too far) and 2 other dogs to play with. I leave him there whenever I go out of town now, which I'm sure he likes, but when I come to pick him up he's so excited he can't help himself. So in other words, I'm not sure what he'd rather do. Obviously, I can't ask him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM

ttt

Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,959,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
10 acres of land to rome (no fence, but he does pretty well staying around and not wondering too far) and 2 other dogs to play with. I leave him there whenever I go out of town now, which I'm sure he likes, but when I come to pick him up he's so excited he can't help himself. So in other words, I'm not sure what he'd rather do. Obviously, I can't ask him.
Put yourself in his paws. Where would you rather be???

Old 07-18-2008, 01:05 PM

That's exactly the problem. I don't know. On the one hand, he's with his mom and dad. On the other, he has more room to play.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,449,237 times
I would say leave him with grandma...he will be happier all things considered. Although here technically he will be with Mommy and Daddy..he will hardly spend anytime with you, and will be locked up in a small apt alone all day (except for the occasional 15 minute walk). Please leave him with grandma...he will be happier, and if you sit and think about it, you will be happier knowing he is with friends, running, exercising, outdoors, and well taken care of vs in a small apt all day, rarely going outside, and alone all the time.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM

In pricing doggy day care, I noticed Camp Bow Wow, which seems really good. They have 10-day passes for $295. I could send him there 3 days a week, twice a month, and then 2 days a week the other two weeks. The other days I could get a dog-walker. I'd get the every day pass, but at $575, that's pretty dang steep.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,891,934 times
Default Please, no more large-dogs or large dog owners.....

in the city. With all due respect, sir or miss, the city apartments are already heavily inundated with these species.

It's tough getting out of bed in a surly mood for another lousy day at the job, encountering in the elevator a snarling huge dog and/or huge owner with an identical snarl, breaking in one's new shoes in dog poop on the way to the subway, then greeting a snarling boss at the office.

Both the dog and you will be happy when the dog can roam freely at grandma's home where it can live naturally and have the best years of its life.

And think of all the happy fellow apartment dwellers smiling at you in the morning as you leave home each day to start out your brand new job in the Big Apple.

BTW, welcome to the Big Apple.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM

991 posts, read 1,542,594 times
Leave him with Grandma too. He will get to see mum and dad and spend more quality time with them when you visit.

Manhattan and NYC city is no place for a dog. Even with the parks and stuff a lot of the dog walkers walk on the pavement with other dogs in tow. The worst thing is all the dogs I see around town are so miserable. Leave him at home he will be much happier and will lead a much nicer life.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,543,965 times
I beg to differ: Manhattan is a GREAT place for dogs. What better back yard than Central Park is there? And there are LOTS of happy, LARGE dogs in NYC.

I've done the doggy daycare and the dogwalker routes. Frankly the price you quoted for doggy daycare is impossible- even for a SMALL dog in Manhattan, it runs to over $400/month. WELL over.

I really prefer the dogwalker coming to the apartment and taking my dog out for a few reasons. You know you're dog's safe. At daycare they have a tendency NOT to watch the dogs as well as they should. And, even when a dog should stay home (like when it has diarrhea) the dog is brought to daycare so it can spread it around to everyone. Second, getting your dog to daycare can be an issue: a large one doesn't fit into a carrier that easy to lug and buses and the subway require any animal to be in a carrier. Unless the daycare is nearby you, which isn't always the case. Third, you don't have to stop somewhere else on your way home to get your dog. Fourth, your home is his home, and he's happiest there!

Best of luck.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 5,338,955 times
How far away is Grandma's? Can you bring him here and give it a try? Then if he's suffering bring him back. Will you have time on weekends to play with him? It sounds like he'll be getting out a lot with the daycare and has he gets older he'll want to spend lots of time sleeping anyway. It can be a cold city, I'd want my friend with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or