U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,321 times

Advertisements

My new job will be near 3rd ave and E 38th st. I would ideally like to walk to work or even as far as bryant park area would be good as long as it's safe. I'll be taking my wife and pet(60 lb lab) and would love to know if there are any upscale apartments or what the general range for rent is for a 1 bedroom/1bath as she is really quite picky but we don't have loads of money either? Also, is it a safe area? I have tried googling about 5 times now and have yet to find one apartment building near where I am looking but I'm not sure I know where to look. Can anyone be of help? I would really appreciate it. Also if you have any better suggestions of nearby neighborhoods or places to rent that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by DougQ; 07-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: sp
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,046,705 times
How much is your budget? That is Murray Hill and is a nice, affluent area with several full-service, highrise buildings. The nearby neighborhoods are Sutton Place, Kips Bay, Gramercy Park, and Midtown East - all are very nice.

If you have a fairly high budget and want to live in a beautiful, luxurious building I would recommend to you the Corinthian. It's located at 330 East 38th Street between First and Second Avenues.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,321 times
Thanks so much for all the info about the area. I have looked up a bit about it and I'm really glad that it's mostly residential. I looked up the Corinthian which is really nice but i couldn't find a price listing. How do these apartments typically rent out? I notice most people are single real estate agents that rent out the apartment? I am guessing the corinthian itself doesn't directly rent to anyone or have an office. We'd have to do this pretty much blind without ever seeing the place so i want to make sure someone won't run off with our rent and we get there and have no apartment or something. Our budget would be a maximum of $4000 per month but ideally we'd like to spend $2000-3500 or less as long as it's safe for my wife to be home alone during the day. How much are utilities such as water, power, cable and internet in nyc? Currently I live in Seattle, Wa and we get away with spending only $300 per month on all utilities.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,403,491 times
The Corinthian is a condominium, not a rental building. And if you're looking to rent, remember you pay more for a building that permits large dogs. My manager just left her apartment on East 38th - she was paying in the neighborhood of $3500/month for her 1BR apartment.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,046,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The Corinthian is a condominium, not a rental building. And if you're looking to rent, remember you pay more for a building that permits large dogs. My manager just left her apartment on East 38th - she was paying in the neighborhood of $3500/month for her 1BR apartment.
Yes, I am aware that it's a condo building but many owners rent their units (for one year periods or longer). A friend of a friend was living there by renting directly from the owner of one of the units.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 AM

10,918 posts, read 28,852,622 times
The complex that springs to mind, though I am not sure of their pet policy is the Waterside Plaza complex, which is a collection of buildings on the East River that stretches north for a few blocks from 23rd. It's now been converted to a market rate complex, having been Mitchell-Lama previously, and someone I know who looked at it said that the newly renovated apartments have been brought up to more of the luxury standard. The buildings date from the early 1970s. Unfortunately, I only know of the complex on sight, and have not known anyone who has lived there.

A building that I know for a fact takes dogs as I have known people who have lived there with them is on West 43rd St. It's called Riverbank West, and is a modern luxury building that offers views of the city, water, has parking, a gym, etc., but as it's 560 W 43rd, it's somewhere around 1.5 miles to the general area of your office. It might be a longer walk, but the area is fine, having improved substantially in the last few years. One friend who moved there from out of state was in a similar situation to yours, having to find a building that would accept the dog, which can be a challenge in some buildings.

Both of these complexes do have their own on-site management and rental offices, and since you rent directly from the management company, you do not have to pay the broker fees, whereas with the vast majority of condominium rentals, you will be paying a broker fee, unless you can rent directly from the owner.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:41 PM

217 posts, read 875,578 times
Waterside is really nice. And don't forget to pick up after your dog, bro.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,830,835 times
You'll be fine in Murray Hill. Post-college kind of area. Or go higher into the 30s and you'll be in the UN mission area. Murray Hill you will have no problem getting a 1 BR < $3500.

Don't use a broker- target specific larger apartment buildings and many will have walk-in leasing offices. They will be the nicer ones to keep your wife happy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City