Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
people of color huh.... I see that thrown around here A LOT..... White is a color so people of color = everyone. Oh I get it - "white" people are the "default" , "colorless" people and then there are the "others"....
Could we call white people "hueless"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Be my guest; I wouldn't mind being called hueless.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I can only speak for myself. I'm so pale that I practically glow in the dark. If that's not "colorless," then I don't know what is .....
Nice smiley choice. I'll look out for you on the trains ........

** side note **
if I were white and someone of "other" origin called me pale, I think (to quote Bill O'Reilly) I'll be ready for a lynching party.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Ha..... you know very well I won't take part in the promulgation of a name for '"white people".

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
Nice smiley choice. I'll look out for you on the trains ........
If you see me, be nice to me. Since I glow in the dark, I'm the person who'll be leading everyone out of the tunnel should the power go out, leaving the train stalled between stations .....

Old 07-25-2008, 04:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
As the old expression goes, call me anything you like, but don't call me late for dinner!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
I live in the heights and see moving trucks daily with white people moving in. My nabes dominican feel hasn't changed much though! I live by 163 and ft. wash

Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
Now i was driving last night in bed-stuy..and say a few white females walking around the place...i was totally shocked..am A black guy and that place even scares me..wouldn't live there.....but I thought white people avoid all black neighborhood
Chances are they are not native New Yorkers. Most transplants in NYC are rather naive and unaware of their surroundings to a disturbing extent.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Not all white people live in white neighborhoods. Go to the South Bronx and there's white, black, asian- all those that are over thier head and can't afford to survive on the 3 jobs, and/or welfare they receive ..

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-31-2008, 11:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The implication that a particular neighborhood is somehow the province of one ethnic/religious/racial group or another is not only rather silly, it's also dead wrong. The name of the game in New York City has been change--since day one. I, for instance, am white...and I was born in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. You might say that neighborhood has changed slightly since my birth.

Anyone might be living anywhere...and what a neighborhood looks like today isn't necessarily what it's going to look like in five, ten, twenty years. So much for "the hood."

Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I live in the heights and see moving trucks daily with white people moving in. My nabes dominican feel hasn't changed much though! I live by 163 and ft. wash
I see plenty of whites now on the 1 train, whether I take it at 207st or 181st, former no go zones for whites.

Also I saw a white father and his kids enter my building at 3 am in the morning like a month ago. I know he lived here because he had keys. But I was very surprised. And yesterday, walking on University ave between 183rd and Fordham, I saw two elderly white women enter one of the buildings.

Now, supposedly Mott Haven and Melrose are also receiving "new" neighbors because of the new developments there. Im guessing Highbridge is also seeing some along the Concourse, thanks to the new developments and Yankee Stadium. My neighborhood is close to Fordham Oval (Co-ops), which has many whites, so that is why I think they are starting to trickle down.

I haven't seen many whites in Morris Heights. And the central Bronx hoods like Fordham, Tremont, East Tremont, West Farms, and Morrisania are for the most part unscathed. Wakefield is still probably close to 100% black, and I doubt this will ever change. Since whites have been moving to Bed-Stuy and Bushwick, we know that high crime and bad reputations will not be a detriment to there migration, so anything is fair game. It will be interesting to see, the demographics of NYC in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City