Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 AM

206 posts, read 627,668 times

Advertisements

Now i was driving last night in bed-stuy..and say a few white females walking around the place...i was totally shocked..am A black guy and that place even scares me..wouldn't live there.....but I thought white people avoid all black neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
No.. I walk through black hoods on occasion.. I just don't walk through really dangerous areas, which aren't necessarily only black.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Not all white people avoid all black neighborhoods, that is silly.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Default the economics of affording NYC...

has changed the ethnic character of some neighborhoods. One doesn't have to be racist to recognize the historical vs present demographics.

Was a time when all whites jumped out of the # 1,2,3 trains at 96 Street as if there was a typhoid outbreak beyond that stop. Now if you wait for a train at that stop in the morning, all you see are whites and a couple of blacks and Hispanics coming from uptown.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Maybe they're the mythical hipsters, the first wave sent there at night by the "hipster/yuppie cabal" to mark buildings that they want to take over. It may look like ordinary graffiti, but in reality, it has a secret meaning about assembly points, division of new territories between the hipsters and aspirational yuppies who cannot afford the already established locales, and locations for new coffee shops that will be just like the others a mere block away when they're finished. If you stumbled into their midst, even unwittingly, be very careful, since this breed can be dangerous when cornered, especially when they roam the streets with impunity at night...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Maybe they're the mythical hipsters, the first wave sent there at night by the "hipster/yuppie cabal" to mark buildings that they want to take over. It may look like ordinary graffiti, but in reality, it has a secret meaning about assembly points, division of new territories between the hipsters and aspirational yuppies who cannot afford the already established locales, and locations for new coffee shops that will be just like the others a mere block away when they're finished. If you stumbled into their midst, even unwittingly, be very careful, since this breed can be dangerous when cornered, especially when they roam the streets with impunity at night...
I've seen some markings in my building in Washington Heights. Not only that, but one agent was wearing an LL Bean monogramed backpack.

The horror.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Turn the clock back 50 years, and it would have been very strange to see a black person walking around in Bushwick. Or, as long as we're in Brooklyn, Brownsville! Things change all the time around here.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its not called walking, its called strolling. she is not alone.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Turn the clock back 50 years, and it would have been very strange to see a black person walking around in Bushwick. Or, as long as we're in Brooklyn, Brownsville! Things change all the time around here.
Good point. Changes happen all the time, its generally a matter of demographics and economics.

A lot of those "hoods" have great access to Manhattan. The cost of real estate in Manhattan has skyrocketed over the past 2 decades, and as a result there has been a major spillover into Northern Brooklyn going on for a while.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I saw three white females on my block in University Heights in the Bronx on friday at around 3 am. I had to look twice to make sure, but I guess they make up the 2% (which may be 200 whites).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City